Would you still date this person, if you find out that you aren't their original type (physically)?

By original here means they used to have certain criteria but it happens that he/she falls in love with you because of other interesting traits that you have. Would you give them a shot?
~this question is inspired by a girl who posted a question asking why this guy wanna date her who is curvy, when his preference is skinny.

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Unless they're making an issue out of it, then sure.

Most people have preferences, especially physical ones, but we all find out that personality eventually matters more - which is why most of us end up with someone who isn't our ideal physical type.

1|0
    0|0
  • I married one. For some reason my wife like bald older guys (that was actually her type, oddly enough, and her two exes were bald older guys in their 50s and onward), and she friend-zoned me at first and I had to be persistent. I had a full head of hair and was just a year older (in my late 20s at the time). I seemed to manage to change her preference though afterwards. I like to attribute it to my more youthful sexual prowess! :-D (joking -- I don't actually know how I managed to change her preferences).

1|0
    0|0
    • The one thing that got me out of the friend-zone was that I jammed the emergency stop button on the elevator when we were alone together, grabbed her, and kissed her (gently at first, make sure she's okay with it). And she kissed back.

And given that this is her favorite story to tell about how we got together, maybe I did something very youthful and bold there of a kind which was unlike the guys she originally preferred.

• Show All
    • @Gopnik >> PM's if you don't mind it at least.
      Sure, no prob!

I found a way to kind of relate our interests. Like she trained in classical ballet... that's sorta like skateboarding! :-D Like you gotta practice and land a trick sorta in ballet... And violin... and that's sorta similar to making beats in FL Studio. :-D Everything was sorta similar... enough for us to kind of relate and get into each other's interests and kind of meld.

• ... and my job -- software engineer... I write code... she writes and edits books. :-D Like it's sorta all similar -- just take my thing and make it fancier and then she's doing something like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Did before and it didn't work out so no never again.

1|0
    0|0
    • What happened Azzy?

• They ended up letting my liking them go to their heads and they become disrespectful and ungrateful. I think we shouldn't settle because even if you like someone, if there is any shred a thought in their head that you might have settled, they will treat you poorly. I think this is why that guy Chris Watts killed his wife Shannon, she was too good for him, and no matter how many posts she made about how grateful she was for him, he was never convinced.

• I agree on this. I mean if I ever find out that I wasn't really my boyfriend type, It will stuck in my head and I won't be able to treat him accordingly.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• Definitely.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably not. Simply because I’ve tried it the other way around and it’s ended up with me getting supremely bored and resenting them.

I wouldn’t do it for THEIR sake, as I know how hard it is to see your types walking around you everyday and you not being able to do anything about it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Definitely, I don't think it should matter. I prefer brunettes, but have fell for blondes etc etc

1|0
    0|0
    • If you ever fall in love with a blond girl in the future, make sure you keep this to yourself. She might not like knowing you prefer brunettes.

• Yeah. I mean, it's not like she would date me because she can't have who she wants.

1|0
    0|0
    • It cam be the reason why she is with you. Who knows she can't get her type so she lower down her standard.

• Then that's another story, I don't want to be the second choice.

• No. I want to be loved *because* ___, not *despite* ___. Period.

1|0
    0|0
  • As long as she is biologically female, looks are secondary, or tertiary. Heart and mind are first and second for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Question it. If it sounds reasonable, why not.. if not... move on... there are sometimes exceptions to these rules

1|0
    0|0
  • If there’s some physical attraction and they have a great personality then sure. If I don’t find them attractive at all then I’m not gonna settle.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most likely yes
    As this cute Aussie girl once said, "Once you like the person, you stop to care"

1|0
    0|0
  • it depends on how much different she is physically as compared to my type

1|0
    0|0
  • Yea i think I would and also try to improve on whatever i am lacking

1|0
    0|0
  • yes i would.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would be a little bothered.

1|0
    0|0
  • People make exceptions

1|0
    0|0
  • Well yeah if they fell for me because of MY traits

1|0
    0|0
  • Definitely

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• I don't believe in types.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes what you think you want isn't what you really need in your life.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah why not

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes