How long should you date before getting married?

How long do you think it takes for a couple to consider marriage? Does it make a difference if they get married right away or take several years?How long should you date before getting married?
  • Less than 3 months
  • About 6 months
  • 1-2 years
    Vote C
  • 5 years
    Vote D
  • At least 7 years
    Vote E
  • Time doesn’t matter
    Vote F

714

Most Helpful Guys

• make sure you live together and know them before you take the plunge in marriage though
    otherwise there may be somethings you never knew about them that would probably result in divorce

and no one ant s divorce it is messy and painful not to mention expensive

• The critical things to me are that you have EXHAUSTIVELY discussed every likely future situation (jobs, religion, kids, debts, family obligations, etc.) that will be in your future and make sure you are on the same page with each other. You also need to discuss your own morals and values with your partner.

The other thing is just experience spending time with them. A lot of traits will reveal themselves that will be annoying or even desl breakers. Figure that out before you marry - a year minimum in my opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• There isn't a specific time. I personally don't think I'd ever get married, but you shouldn't do it unless you've both seen your partner going through something awful. (i. e. losing a very close loved one, going through major surgery, going through bankrupcy etc.) The reason for this being, In a marriage the two of you are partners and every hardship, and there will be many hardships over time, you face together. It's not wise to enter that commitment before you've had your relationship truly tried and tested by those hardships, because if you can't make it through those hardships when you're dating, if you hit one while married, your marriage will crumble.