Why do men lie by omission?

Even if their girlfriend is pretty understanding. Even if she might be upset, but tries to understand and come to an agreement. She doesn’t yell at him, or berate him. Or accuse him or anything.

Because, usually when a man omits information, and their SO finds out, she’s way more upset about that then what he omitted.

010

Most Helpful Guys

• It is in everyone's nature to avoid self incrimination. That is why the stand oath is "... the whole truth and nothing but the truth...". I also say that when someone uses "to be honest" (I assume they are honest all the time) they actually are implying to give to the whole truth. Sometimes one might omit just to avoid dealing with it: embarrassed, confrontation, upsetting, ... a whole host of reasons. Keep in mind that if you want to enforce strict continuous full disclosure that can come back around on you someday. Many of these imperfections always seem to have a payback day when a forgive might be required the other direction.

• I just am not sure why my boyfriend would omit the information that a girl was involved when he went out with friends. He has done this twice now with two different girls. I am not one to overreact, or accuse him or get mad about hanging out with girls. I jus question why he doesn’t tell me.

• When I asked why he didn’t tell me. He said “because i thought you might feel weird”. But, i just feel disrespected even more because he knows how i feel towards her. And he was going to omit that info until i asked!

• You are right in this case. He needs to tell you about her because this upsets you.

• Because sometimes the information isn't relevant. I don't see the idea of lying by omission as valid. What information I choose to withhold I do so at my discretion, I have no greater obligation to share than my willingness dictates. I am my own person and I will not be owned.

• It’s not about being owned. It’s about respecting your partner and not giving them reasons to be suspicious and feel they can’t trust you.

• No one said I’ve done that lol. How about respecting your partner and not doing shady things, or things you know would hurt them, and then LIE about it and not facing the consequences because you lack integrity.

• Integrity? Lying is one thing, withholding information because you know another's frame of reference would perceive a molehill as a mountain is another.