Why do people want to be in a relationship so badly?

Some people say it ot better when you are single and to enjoy that life. Others wish to be in a relationship. Why is that?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Simple
    Cuz they are afraid to be alone...
    It is just you have a hole, you need to fill... you take any tom dick and harry to fill it.

For guys it is different.. just to have sex and prove to the society they are a man... which is stupid.

Most of you do not know what is love and obsessed to find it while you do not know how to recognise lust vs love.

0|0
    0|0
    • It is simple.
      If you go in banana plantation, you will have banana not apples.
      If you want apples but you do not know how an apple look likes, what will you look for

• Society puts pressure on people. It wants to make people think that it's wrong or weird to be single. And that's what some people do. They even remain in abusive relationships just for the sake of fitting in. Society is the ultimate killer of freedom.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I think people believe love comes exclusively in "a relationship" status quo. Singleness, has a stigma and some people feel like a failure if they are single, even when they might express they enjoy to be alone.
    Yet from what I've learned and reflect, being in a relationship doesn't equals to "feeling loved" or "giving love" to someone.
    Love itself is a state of mind and philosophy that is not necessarily portrait in a relationship.
    However, I have to agree that it would be nice to deeply connect and love someone in a healthy way.

1|0
    0|0
  • The feeling of being single temporarily scares them because they fear that they may be single forever. Most of the people who aren’t content with themselves they crave another’s attention to fill in the void of loneliness and emptiness.

I long to find someone I am compatible with before I think of a relationship because I know if I find someone who I am compatible with eventually we can get to know one another through dating and if a relationship is wanted than I’ll be pursued then asked.

That’s why there are so many questions on GirlsAsksGuys that says “My ex “ and so many other stories that are extremely toxic because instead of leaving some rather stay. Many are eager to either be in a relationship because of loneliness or stay in a relationship which winds up blowing up in their face in the long run.

0|0
    0|0
    • If you are content with being single meaning you will know your worth and not settle for less than what you deserve whether it’s sacrificing yourself because the needy feeling of a relationship or staying in one because you’re afraid better won’t come by.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 112

• Because it's great to feel wanted, to have the companionship, and to have sex with someone you love.

0|0
    0|0
  • Loneliness can be quite horrible if you know what you are doing. Me? im fine with it. i just think of the other side, and the nagging and questions, and the demands and expectations and it makes me happy that im single. well... thats what i do when im single.

0|0
    0|0
  • One word: Connection.

Guys in particular don't get very in-depth in regards to connecting with friends or family. Relationships are the only place where we get that sort of deep emotional connection. The word that I use for it is 'home'.

I'm not yearning for sex. It can be bought if I get desperate enough. I'm yearning for a home.

2|1
    0|0
    • Why do you call it a home?

• @belka I call it a home because it is the main point of stability, where I can actually be who I am. Where I don't have to put on a mask to impress. Where I can put in the effort and elbow-grease to help maintain the relationship without running the risk of the other person leaving just because of a few quirks that someone who fits the mold of attraction more doesn't have.

Why do I call it a home? Because I can return and know that everything's gonna be alright in the end. Because the world is absolute shit, but it would be worth it if I could find someone to share the journey with, and build alongside. This is what I mean by deep emotional connection.

• because people have different beliefs. Everyone grows up differently and we all believe whatever we believe, Some are truly happy in one or another, others are lying about being in one or the other (usually single people lying about being in a relationship) because they want to or think that they would feel better if they were in that position, even thought they would feel the same.

It all comes down to perspective and stance in life currently.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well some people are more thinking about a relationship as trying something new and taking a risk, instead slowing down. I've been single my whole life, except like... 2 weeks... and so now I want to be in a relationship because that's the next step for me. Being single is a bore to me; I've been there, and done that, and now I feel like the best way for me to grow is to share my heart and life with a woman.

1|1
    0|0
  • Relationship has never been a goal to me. It has to happen itself if it is going to. I never felt like I should find a girlfriend, but I did started having interest in someone in random moments. I like to leave it to its nature

1|0
    0|0
  • Some people can feel perfect without a relationship. They don't need to have a closeness to someone. Others like myself want someone there to grow old with and to love. I know someone in their 50s who's never dated or cares if she has someone. So each to their own. As long as you're happy that's all that counts.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's the ultimate happiness according to my folks. I still have both of them, and that's rare apparently in today's society. They're a happy old couple and I always see them smiling in each others company, even after all the small scuffles over the years, it meant nothing against the peace of mind they brought each other.

I hope to find my player 2 some day too. It's my dream.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that is more of a young person attitude. The older you become, the less meaningful relationships become and the easier is becomes to remain single. Most people have done it all by the time they are 40 so being in a realtionship doesn't seem like a big deal anymore.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because humans are social animals whose only real evolutionary need is to procreate.
    Thus for a significant chunk of people, those who were cursed with monogamous reproductive behavior, it pretty much is the biggest need that they have.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personal preferences.
    Being single and getting laid by different girls might be fun for a while, but it's just so empty.
    I prefer having someone to love and share my life with. Actually, I'm kind of looking right now but it's hard to find someone who isn't superficial lately.

0|0
    0|0
  • Being in a relationship is great. You don't get to experience romantic love otherwise. You don't get to work towards finding someone to start a family with. You don't get to include someone in your life at a deep level. You don't get a very intimate relationship with someone. Those things are way more important than anything you get from being single.

0|0
    0|0
  • Society norm (depending on where you live. But here in the U. S.) go to school get a good paying job start a family. Simple people want validation. Movies have people minds screwed up too. Cartoons as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • I understand why people who hasn't been in a relationship wants one, first, they dont know what it really is, second they feel they need it.
    What I can't understand is because if you are so bad in a relationship, then you dont go out of it.
    In fact who is in a relationship have decission power, who isn't just can search.
    (Although there are people who only search, get, leave but I dont see them crying)

0|0
    0|0
  • As people, we have needs. Basic needs like air, water, food, and shelter. Then there are the more complex needs, social interaction, companionship, support- emotional and esteem, decisions making, etc... we also need to know we matter. What's the point if you don't matter right? It's why we do what we do, too prove our worth... when in a relationship, your significant other offers all of this to you...

0|0
    0|0
  • Fear of missing out, and perhaps many do not recognizing the risks the responsibilities and all the catches that comes with being in a relationship. PEOPLE "DESIRE" TO BE DESIRED.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because in theory it is supposed to be emotionally fulfilling.

We seek affection, companionship and stability. Men crave a new mother like figure to take care of us and women want to feel safe and protected.

1|0
    1|0
  • Its only young people who ask this question. Once you're getting closer to 40 years of age, you might realize how happy all of your friends are in their relationships, while you yourself feel terribly lonely alone.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because people want to be accepted. Because people want to feel important. Because people want sex. Because the human nature tell us to reproduce. Because of the social pressure. Because of the jealousy. Because that's what we learned to do. Because we do not want to be/die alone

0|0
    0|0
  • It differs with every person, some people function better with another person in their lives every day. Then there are people who like there privacy and don't like to be in long term committed relationships. It all depends on what makes you happiest and the most comfortable.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'll tell you smth, not everybody has the same way of thinking. people that enjoy singles life are mostly that type of people that doesn't want their lives to be related to only one person (if you know what I mean). but people who prefer to be in a relationship they want to have somebody to care for and live the life that they dreamed of (the romantic type of life)

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people get lonely and bored easily and feel the only solution is be in a relationship. Probably a better suggestion would be to take up a new hobby or make new friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well it all depends how the person feels about it? Some people have different viewpoints on how they see things. Some people wish to remain single and find their true love. Others want to be in a relationship SO bad. Cause they want that strong urge to feel and be someone passionately.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cuz they're desperately lonely. And under the mistaken assumption that SOMEONE will make them HAPPY. Happiness comes from within, not from some external source. So we have a lot of failed relationships.

0|0
    0|0
  • To be like one of the cool kids. Unless you found somebody really special its not that cool anyway slobbering with somebody you don't really like that much thats not that attractive

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm single and I would like to be in a relationship for the company, the quiet moments together, to be with someone who would love me and that I could love back. Been single is just easiest, but also lonely at times

1|0
    0|0
  • Because they forget, or don't know at all the effort it takes to be on the same page with a SO and keep the relationship afloat.

And that due to life choices everything may change from "I want to be with you", to.."I am sorry, it can't be".

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally want to be in one because I want to experience the good, and getting through the bad. Nothing wrong with a bond. I've been single long enough lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone wants to be loved but it's down to the individual wether they are happier in a relationship or staying single.

0|1
    0|0
  • Loneliness, stability, belonging, sense of family, tribe, trust. Then again, if you're not that sensitive about those things, then screw 'em.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 52

• As someone who is single, I wish I just had companionship. Someone to talk to, to do things with, to make memories with. To share feelings and experiences, stuff like that.
    On the other hand, I see my friends talk about relationship problems and sometimes I'm glad to be single. I can do whatever, whenever. I'm not accountable to anybody. I don't have to worry about someone's intentions with me or if I'm being cheated on.

0|0
    0|0
  • It all depends on where one is at in life. But for those who are in a secure place with themself and has life going well for them, they care to share their personal growth and the joys of life with someone beside them. To be able to share your life hobbies, personal passions and growth with a person whom you adore is a rather great feeling.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think love is the closest we come to understanding transcendence as Sentient beings...

granted you don’t need a rejstionship to experience love, but once you are in love is often seems like rejationship woujd be the way to go.

I also think the physical connection is the strongest drive bc you can fulfill emotional and intellectual ness with friends but skin on skin... it’s magical unique and most people after toddlerhood , don’t touch anyone unless they are dating.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont know I always love the idea of falling in love with a wonderful man and that he would love me and we would be happy and grow old with each other.

To bad most people just wanna play games and not catch feeling. We need to make real relationships trendy again.

0|1
    0|0
    • If you are tired of drama, stop being the actor.
      If you want things to chat, change yourself first.

• @djmzes I have a boyfriend and I treat him very well thank you

• You means general you... ok?
      Your relationship your time your choice your consequences.

• It's just human nature to want to be with someone and to reproduce.
    However some people dont care about that stuff, but since society puts so much emphasis on stuff like dating people feel like they have to be in a relationship or else they are doing something wrong. When in reality there is nothing wrong with being single as long as you are very happy.

0|0
    0|0
  • One reason is it's expensive t be single after you hit adulthood, if men weren't total garbage I would have had a home cars and business already. People who find a good partner with similar goals and interests can have a better life.

But the most common reason is people just wanting to seen as desirable, they use their relationship status as a social accolade, which is why they post on FB and try to make people who don't care about them and their love jealous.

0|0
    0|0
  • A lot of it has to be for the love and affection. The things they see others couples do or they could of went through a bad child hood like me where I tend to latch on to any guy. I finally found my worth and self to be single but I only remember being single for 2 months. Now it’s been almost 5months

0|0
    0|0
  • people loves to see other single people to suffer like they're but everyone is not suffering. How can u know if u'll enjoy or suffer that curiosity makes people to mingle with singles. But only brave and big hearted people can do that as many as they want.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is good to be single if you haven't met the right person but there is nothing better than sharing your life with someone you love

0|1
    0|0
    • I think staying single its much better, feeling independent and calm no problems , also you can have a lot friends with benefits lol

• Because people are social beings even those who say they aren't and prefer to be left alone (I am one of them). Also, considering how common love-related things are, people sooner or later want to experience personally.

0|1
    0|0
  • Every person is different and some are just more independent than others. Sometimes it's just a matter of meeting the right person whose lifestyle compliments yours.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sucks being alone. And society makes you feel as if something is wrong with you if you are single and/or NOT a parent by a certain age.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think in this day in age everyone wants to find some stability and happiness in their lives, therefore the idea of relationships is ideal. The influence of social media on this idea is prevelant where many celebrities and public figures publicly announce and share their happy and mostly ‘perfect’ relationships. People want to have that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Being in a good healthy relationship is beneficial. However, some people just want to be in relationships to meet social standards, avoid feeling alone or fill emotional gaps

0|0
    0|0
  • For me, it's beacuse I've never been in a relationship. I want someone to hug me tightly and just squeeze me in his arms. Someone to cuddle with. Someone to kiss me. Someone I can look into the eyes and say everything without even saying a word.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they’re not not satisfied with their self. There’s nothing wrong with being in a relationship. But it should happen naturally. No one should ever make searching for a mate a career.

0|0
    0|0
  • “The hunger for love”, we would say in sociology.. tbh though I’d probably date someone just for regular sex & cuddles at this point 😅

0|1
    0|0
  • Because it is a natural human instinct to find a life partner to spend the rest of your life with.

0|0
    0|0
  • As humans we long for that deeper, and intimate connection that we only find in romantic relationships. It does depend on person to person, and where they are in their life though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Crave of someone that shows that you are important and pretty

1|1
    0|0
  • I don’t know.. maybe they see how people in a relationship can be so happy, and cute doing stuff and etc..

In reality, well.. 💁🏼‍♀️

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they can't stand living with their own thoughts

0|0
    0|0
  • For introverts being single is being lonely. Simple as that. When I’m in a relationship I have someone to hang out with and love on. It’s refreshing.

0|0
    0|0
    • People with friends seem to have an easier time being single

• Being single as an extrovert is hard too... At the end of the day, being single just sucks in general

• Because people suck at being alone. Their personalities are too dependent to stand by themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think we all need a sense of belonging and for some a relationship is ghat

1|0
    0|0
  • Media
    Social pressures/norms
    Companionship
    The need to be with someone

0|0
    0|0
  • Being single is so boring people just feel as if as long as they are not in relationship it won’t be drama

0|0
    0|0
  • They want to feel wanted and loved and want to be held like they matter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Peer pressure, age, for fun, in need of love, money...

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know everyone is different. Some people just like spending their life with someone to love

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes