What's wrong with dating a guy who has a kid?

I've noticed that some of the girls I've gone out with or met, get turned off when they find out I have a little girl. I don't understand it. It has nothing to do with us dating unless we were to get serious. If you meet a guy and you like each other enough to go on a date, then find out he has a kid, does it turn you off? Why? If you are ok with it, does it still affect the way you feel about him? My daughter doesn't live with me. So I'm not sure why it matters, if we're just dating.
So many answers, lots to think about. Most are really good answers that make a lot of sense. Some sad, depressing. A few cold, hateful ones. But thank all of you for your opinions, and a thumbs up to the single dads who answered. You're awesome.
Conclusion: If being a loving responsible dad is a bad thing, so be it. I'll accept that title with pride.
Be Asexual. Just occasionally pick up a trashy girl to satisfy the urge. Plenty of those around. Lol.
Nice guys finish last, lots of truth in that.
Learn to be like all the other guys.

5923

Most Helpful Girls

• I love kids, and single dads are as awesome as any other man in this earth! You my lovely are worth everything, and the right woman has not presented to you yet, and she will love you and everything about you and people and whoever is in your life. Just keep your chin up and keep on dating, dont give up thats why its call dating... if you realy want someone, she will come, but it takes time and place and the right time. Please dont give up... i know if i were there i would love you for being a parent and it shows that you care about your daughter, and hey she comes first before anyone else! She is your main priority and girls will come and go, but your daughter shell be there for you bc you're a dad that she will come to admire in your life! the most... so i think your one great dad and i know there's someone out there for you, just not the right time just yet!! All the hope and best to you. Its not a turn off to me, its actually wonderful to me, kids are my life, i love them. Hugs x

• Thank you!

• It was well deserved! My pleasure.

• Thank you love. Many many hugs. Have a sweetest day ever! 😊

• I have respect for those who do it. But having seen it from my mum's experience, I don't think I could do it. I have 2 older siblings that my dad had from another marriage and the younger (of the 2) just caused my mum constant agro from the get-go. She did everything to help and be nice and he threw it back in her face. Then I mentioned something my brother (of the same parents) told me about our childhood and he accused my mum of brainwashing me! So now, unfortunately, we don't really talk. He's not disowned but he showed that he's still not got over the fact our dad moved on (despite his mum moving on before him). On top of that there was a lot of crap from his mum too, so because of that I couldn't possibly do it. But if you're one of those who can, then fair play to you. If I was dating someone that had children however, I'd hope they'd tell me and not hide it, I'm not expecting to be introduced straight away or anything, but to know about them would be helpful for me.

• I've seen that in my family too. It sucks. I'll never want to live like that though.
      But just going on a date, it shouldn't even be an issue. (Shrug)

• Yeah just innocent dating, it really shouldn't!

Most Helpful Guys

• I'd guess it's for the same reasons that I would never date a woman who had a kid. Some of the things I say might sound a little harsh, but this is the way I think.

Firstly, kids are hard work. I know that now especially because I have two. You have to put in a lot of time and effort to raise them properly, and you have to make a lot of sacrifices. I love children but the only time I'd ever be willing to do that would be for my own children.

Secondly, to me it's just a red flag. What I looked for when I was trying to find someone I wanted to be in a serious relationship, along with the obvious things such as compatibility, shared interests and things like that, was someone who I thought was also 100% loyal and 100% committed to staying together, working on any problems in the relationship.

So many people nowadays are incapable of maintaining a healthy relationship long-term. They don't try hard enough to fix their problems, so they end up splitting up. I never want that to happen - especially with children. It's so important for children to be in a loving household with both of their parents, in a healthy relationship/marriage. Many people don't understand that, they make all kinds of excuses and they basically have an attitude of "eh, shit happens, whatever". They don't care enough, they think it's no big deal. I could never be with somebody like that long term, I can't trust those people especially because they couldn't even keep it together when they had kids, never mind without them.

It doesn't matter whose fault it was. If it was her fault, then she caused that break up leading to a kid being raised in a broken home. If it was his fault, she chose to have kids with him. Either way it's a sign that a person makes bad decisions, and when that decision involves kids and impacts them it's even worse.

• The girls' comments above say it all. Women usually do not want to waste their time on a date with a guy they know they can't be serious with due to a dealbreaker or two, and most consider it a dealbreaker if he does have a kid (and be glad you don't have three like I do).

Make sure you make it clear that your child does not live with you and that you don't need the girl you want to date to be a stepmother or some kind of mother figure to the kid. Also tell her what sort of visitation schedule exists, because they may otherwise assume you have your child on weekends and holidays.

Most women around the age your dating pool probably consists of don't want to be around someone else's young kid on the weekend instead of hanging out and going places with their boyfriend, and they have plenty of guys to choose from who don't have kids.

• Yes. And those are the ones I don't need to have around. I wouldn't want a girlfriend who might mistreat her because they resent her.

• Oh, and to be honest, if I could have two more just like her, I would actually love it.

• Rather than maltreatment, you'd have to worry about resentment or jealousy.

I'm glad to hear that you are up for having some more kids, but be sure to do it within the confines of a stable relationship.