Ladies, do you think you could love and marry a man who made quite a bit less money than you?

I have some questions about finances and dating as I've been reading online posts about women who earn more money than their husbands.

If you started dating a guy and really liked him, but found out after a couple months that he earned $10,000 less per year than you did, would that negatively affect your relationship? $25,000 less per year? Would you leave him?

Have you ever been in a relationship like this? How was it? Would you be willing to be the breadwinner in a future relationship?

What kind of worries would you have going into a relationship with a man who earns less than you?

Would you go on a first date with a man knowing he made earned than you? Would you marry a man who earned less than you?

Do you think it's sexist, hypocritical, or wrong to desire/require your boyfriend to earn more than you? What reasons do you think you or other women have about such standards?

Finally, with feminism in the west, should men up their financial standards when it comes to dating and be more focused on partners who make a similar amount to what they make?

Thanks for your time,
-Devil

62

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally, I'd prefer to be in a relationship with someone making equal pay as me, simply because it would help me to view the relationship as an equal partnership. But, as long as they are able to hold their own and not rely on me completely (unless under certain circumstances) I don't think I'd care about our pay gaps.

I think it's a bit weak and degrading to aim for someone to make money for you. I myself have a massive ego and issue with dominance, so it'd make me feel useless to rely on my partner to make more money than me.

I definitely think that men should think more about their futures financially, and aim higher than I assume they are when it comes to pay amounts.

To each their own, though.

• Reading this, I'm realizing that I aim to ensure that I'm in a relationship that would at least result in two financially stable people, if there should be a split.

• Actually, in my mind, it's dominance over/towards my partner. As in, I won't submit to the power they'd automatically have for being a breadwinner. So instead, I'd want to match that power, if that makes sense?

And I completely understand, that's a valid worry about being a breadwinner.

• Oh, that makes sense then. I figured it wouldn't be dominance over your partner since you want an equal partner but that makes sense. Less dominance and more a sense of self security, I guess?

Honestly the stress would probably be another really hard aspect for me but I would likely just tell myself to man up and deal with it lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• Why did you invite me to a question for the ladies? lol ^_^;

• I just invited everyone incase someone had something to say on the topic lol.