Should I ask this girl to be my girlfriend if it threatens our friendship?

There’s this girl I have begun talking with a lot of late and we began to get close. I know she doesn’t have a boyfriend and we go to the same high school and we work together. Anytime we’re around each other we talk constantly, smile at each other, and make each other laugh. The problem is I don't know for sure if she likes me and if she rejects me it’ll be really awkward. We haven’t been friends for very long, I would say a month now. I need advice on what I should do.

02