I’m falling for my housemate. How bad is this?

Hey. I’ll try to make this as short as possible.
3 months ago, I moved in to a new house with 4 other people, all of which I met when I moved. At first I was just really excited because everyone seemed so nice and I loved the house.

While getting to know them, I started developing a huge crush on one of my housemates, out of nowhere. The situation is rather strange, when we all go out and sometimes get a bit tipsy we always hold hands with him and he’s always really protective of me. He always sits next to me whenever we are all around and we generally do a lot of things just the two of us.

The other night we were both drunk and I told him that If we weren’t living together and I met him on the random I would want to go out with him. He hugged me and told me that he’s trying to block a lot of thoughts off his mind and I’m not helping him. I asked him what thoughts and he wouldn’t tell me.

After that we’ve both been getting distant, I personally am afraid of what the other housemates might say and I don’t want to hook up with him and regret it later if it doesn’t work out. At the same time, I can’t help how I feel and I think he likes me as well. But I mean, we live under the same roof and it’s so hard to avoid it altogether.

Is it really a bad idea if I act on this?

03