What is a way he will understand this?

I was told by my sons father he was asked why me and his dad aren't together. His dad told him to ask me and i was asked this before he was going to stay at his dads for the weekend.

I want to explain it to him so he will understand, he is 6 almost 7 and not confuse him. I know he will ask a lot of question after i tell him. He does live with me and my husband and sees his dad on the weekend and sometimes during the weekday.

I went to party that my friend wanted to go to and i had gotten drunk and had sex with his father and didn't remeber who i slept with. I found out i was pregnant and i told my friend and when we were talking about it other people over heard it and passer it on. He found out last, and remembered me since he didn't drink or anything. I was then basically home schooled for a while, senior year i went back and met my husband who we were friends for a while and then dated, he knew i had a son. I met my sons father after he said he was the father and we talked so i could know his history of medical stuff and we talked.

I let him meet his son and he visited him on the weekend when he came home from college, i did online college to be home with my son. I got engaged and in August 26 i got married,

64

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that at that age he wouldn't be able to get past the expectation that mommies and daddies are always together. Also, and I might be wrong about this, I think the age of reason for most people starts around 8. Your son could be an exception, though being his mother you're more than likely biased in that regard. It's probably best to wait until he's a few years older and to try and just give him the old "I'll explain it to you when you're older" line in the meantime.

Possibly, if you truly do not want to leave him without some kind of answer, a child psychiatrist can explain to you how he or she thinks you can best handle the issue if you are set on talking to your son about it sooner rather than later.

• Maybe i can buy myself some time to think of a good explanation, i don't see why his dad couldn't think of somethings to tell him

• Given that it is, unless I've misunderstood something, you and your husband who are raising your son by this other man, it would probably be best for that other man to either consult with you about how to inform your son as to why you and he aren't together, or for him to do as he did and let you and your husband handle the matter. Besides which, it's rather unfair to assume it should be easy enough for your son's dad to talk about the issue at hand when it's obviously not an easy topic for you. I think that, in a case like this, who deflected the burden of explaining the situation to whom first is not as important as who arguably has more responsibility in both explaining the situation and helping your son to deal with any questions and issues that may arise. My contention is that this is more a matter for you and your husband, with the input of your son's father. It might be best for all three of you to sit and talk with your son.

Most Helpful Girl

• Tell him the truth. There's no easy way. One thing though never let it seem as if his father is a really bad guy that will just mess things up I know from experience my mom and dad they broke up years ago I lived with my mom for a very long time until 2 years ago, for the past 2 years I've being living with my father he has not said one good thing about my mom and I hate that.