Can you really have a relationship without settling?

I have come to the conclusion that if I don't choose to pick a partner and settle with someone who is decent, I will be single and alone forever.
I really thought growing up would be amazing, but the older you get, the more alone you get. This doesn't mean you lost your friends or anything, but everyone is busy now. Your friends work, go to school, or have relationships of their own. You use to see them almost daily, and eventually you may never see them for months.
This loneliness has led me to start growing desperation for finding someone. Now for years I have been trying to find a good quality person to settle down with, but as the years pass by, I am starting to understand that it doesn't exist. The idea of finding a semi-suitable mate seems to be the only option to fulfill the dreams I once had to share with someone I thought I would have found by now.
My loneliness has led to depression, which is something I never had my whole life till a couple years ago.
Now I stand in a pool of hopelessness. Now I feel I have run dry, and finding any relationship is impossible.
Welcome to the world we live in... good luck.

01