My boyfriend smokes weed, I don’t.. what should I do?

my boyfriend of two years has had a long history of being exposed to drugs since he was 12/13. he’s tried almost everything from cigarettes to cocaine. he does not like smoking cigarettes or drinking and he does not do it at all however he does smoke weed and smoke weed pens. me, on the other hand. i have never been exposed to drugs or alcohol. i don’t drink nor smoke and nobody in my family does either. when we first started dating he promised me he would not smoke, he was clean for two years (or as i had hoped). he smoked a few times in between however he told me and he assured me he would never lie again and i trust him. recently, he has asked me to let him start smoking weed again with his guy friends. i love my boyfriend and i understand that he should have the opportunity to smoke sometimes as well so i gave him the chance although it hurts me every time he smokes.. he always tells me that weed is good for the health and that the misconception is a scam by the government however i am still opposed to drugs in general. i am scared he will resort to it every time. we have tried to make a compromise, 2 times a week. i wanted him to smoke a few times a month but he will not listen to me and he tells me that he won’t quit smoking again. besides this, he is an amazing boyfriend. he has never cheated, never romantasized with any female besides me, he is smart, loving, caring and perfect. we love eachother however this problem is really affecting us. please give me advice!!!

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• He’s right, it is a scam that the government made up to scare people but if you look throughout history weed or hemp has been used in most things that you can buy and use in your house and yard. And as far as the heath thing goes weed has cured more thing then medications have

0|1
    1|0
  • You will never make him stop smoking weed. If you were exposed to people like this, like i do, you would know its fucking impossible to make them stop. They are worse than regular smokers, trust me.
    What you should do? Accept that he is a pot head. Its not healthy, but it doesn't make him a bad person and its not a reason to ruin a otherwise good relationship.

Again, trust me when i say your best option is just too accept it. You can't change him, but leaving him for something like that is just stupid in my eyes. I hate smokers myself too, and i wish my girlfriend didn't smoke. But i love her too much to break up over something so trivial and meaningless.

1|1
    0|2
    • 4d

dude don't advise junkees as good relationships, srsly

• Show All
    • 4d

i'm happy to hear a response from someone in the same situation as me. i hope you and your girlfriend are happy together! me and my boyfriend are trying to work things out.. i actually sent him the link to this forum and he appreciates your comment as well. thank you!

• 4d

Don't mess with the junkees girl. You'll end up dead srsly.

• www.drugabuse.gov/.../what-are-marijuanas-long-term-effects-brain

His brain is already dead, so if you're ok with that, your one is dead too.

0|0
    0|2
  • Doesn't sound like the two of you are a good fit, but since I don't know you it's hard to say for sure. Since this is the lifestyle he was brought up in it is almost inevitable that he will continue to fall back on it with or without your blessing. How you choose to deal with that is up to you.

0|0
    0|0
  • If he does something that is fundamentally against your principles and refuses to budge or find a compromis then your realtionship will sooner or later break down and u should quit now before u invest more into it. Unless your find with being always dominated, which a lot of women are.

It does not really matter if weed is good or not, if you see it as being bad or wrong. Its about talking things through and finding a compromis, which is what a couple is about, equality, sharing and understanding.

I am personally exactly the same way as you are, but probably even more extreme, if someone i liked smoked or did drugs i would do my best to get them to quit, if i can not then i would just step away, because it is very much against my principles. Your already far better then i am since your willing to reach a compromis, but even that is rejected.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

After rereading it you should also consider the whole, if he even does cocaine and whatever the hell else, where would that lead your future. Into depts because of a severe addiction? Physical abuse because of clouded judgement over drugs?

I have never done drugs and never will, but from what i have read, weed makes people do about as fucked up shit as alcohol does, but cocaine is on a whole new level of addiction and stupidity.

• Dump the loser and find a new guy. No big deal. Simple as that.

0|0
    1|0
  • Well do u hate it?
    Or is it just I dont fuck widit type of thing?

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

both. i think it's dirty and i dont fw it lol..

What Girls Said 4

• well you're not going to be able to control it clearly, either you get used to it or leave i'm sorry. Plus quite frankly it's weed, it's not meth. We all have different ways to relax, you might like netflix, they're not that much different.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

i understand it's a way to cope that is much healthier than any other drug however it makes me upset because i do not want to know that my significant other resorts to drugs for relaxation purposes when there are so many other things out there. i will try my best to work it out with him. thanks for the advice!

• You can try having a mature conversation with him when he isn’t intoxicated, or you can spend some time apart.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would break up. You two value different things

0|0
    0|0
  • What is it about weed are you opposed to?
    Its not perfectly healthy, nothing you smoke is, hell vapes aren't that healthy either.
    But then again neither is chocolate or cheeseburgers.
    Is it the drug you're opposed to or his mental addiction to it? Maybe talk to him about recreational vs habitual useage.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

i am opposed to the thought of my significant other resorting to smoking for relaxation purposes. knowing his history, he has always been attached and i want to help him through it however it has caused fights between us with him blaming me for not being able to understand that he needs his freedom. your question has me thinking as well. everyone knows me as someone that is opposed to smoking and drinking however knowing my boyfriend has a 'mental addiction' to smoking makes everything harder for me.

• 3d

Honestly, whats wrong with occasional smoking to relax. I understand the issue with high frequency but betond that...

Recommended myTakes