Is it a bad idea to give a cheater a second chance?

My boyfriend of 6months recently cheated. I won't bore you with too many details but basically he went out drinking w/ the guys, ran into a girl he used to know (hooked up w/a few times before) then ended up going home with her. I found out, of course. It hurt a lot because I really like him. After taking a few days to cool off I agreed to meet him so we could talk. He was/is sincerely sorry, feels awful and knows it was a shitty thing to do. He talked about his feelings for me, how mad he was at himself for f'ing up what we had. Then he said "I wouldn't blame you for ending things but I hope you don't."

I can tell that he's sincerely sorry for what he did and not just because he got caught. I want to forgive him and try to move forward with the relationship but I don't want to be "that stupid girl" who gives her boyfriend a second chance then gets hurt even worse the next time around. I also don't want to be a bitter person who can't forgive and believes the mistake defines the person.

Follow Up to My Question Above. For anyone who has cheated on someone in the past... did you end up cheating again? If so, on the same person or in a different relationship?
Thanks for all the advice. I read and thought about everything everyone wrote. I've decided to forgive because this is so out of character for him, he is sincerely sorry and says he will be patient with me while trust is rebuilt. I care about him and like him a lot so I am willing to take a chance. Obviously if anything like this happens again it is over for good. But my hope is that we will get past this amd back on track with the relationship.

1842

Most Helpful Guy

• You sound like an insightful girl, so good for you for thinking it through. I don't know you or him but the biggest red flag to me is that he hooked up with a friends with benefits. That might cause some problems in the foreseeable future or i could be spewing shit, who knows?

But if it were me I would take a break, and tell him that, I know you're sorry, but I need a break for a bit to think and once i've time to think we can be together again. I would use that break time to so how he acts. If he goes back to that women or any other woman, then i wouldn't because if he genuinely wants to be with you he'll use that break to think about what he's done.

Best of luck to you!

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think this matter is as simple as some make it out to be. It's not always because they have found someone better etc. In some cases there's a reason behind it (psychologically). What you can do is try to find the reason and see if it's always gonna be there (In that case there's no point in continuing with the relationship). Examples of when there's still hope for the relationship: 1. He's the one who tells you about it (u don't catch him do it). He admits cheating on you/not being loyal to u. 2. The relationship he has with another person hasn't been going on for a long time and is not emotional.
    3. He doesn't deny it. 4. He deeply regrets having done it. 5. He's willing to solve the issues it has caused.
    Now, wether the person chooses to stay in the relationship or not is their choice and there are a lot of factors to consider.