What are your experiences of dating someone with divorced parents?

This applies to those with parents that are still together mostly. Are those with divorced parents more likely to give up when it comes to overcoming difficulties or not?

But for those with divorced parents have you noticed any difference in effort someone is willing to put in to overcome difficulties in a relationship based on whether their parents are divorced or not.

Basically any of you reading this, have you felt that those with healthily married parents are willing to put in more work to stick it out or not? Are those from divorced backgrounds more willing to walk away because of cynical views, or are they willing to try and overcompensate for their parents failings?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, found out that people coming from divorced families have a harder time committing and being there for their partner when they go through tough times

It is not something bad or wrong, so long both acknowledge this and work on it

There have been times when I've said to a woman that regardless of the difficulties she's facing I'll be there for her, and it was something they hadn't experienced in their previous relationships

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• My husband has divorced parents, weird thing is they actually were in the process of divorce when I met him. & His father remarried a year later. I was 18 and he was 19 at the time. I think a lot of factors play into how an individual copes with problems in a relationship. I do believe the younger they are when the divorce happens may mold their perception differently, than being older when his/her parents divorce.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• My parents got divorced when i was 7 y old. In my opinion im trying to not do the same faults as my parents did and not give up so easily.

2|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• Divorce leaves different types of traumas, some may end up being distances to partners, some may end up clingy, you can't assume his or her willingness to work on a relationship just by the parents' status. One thing that is most likely to be certain is that a divorce child may not know the proper forms of communication and behavior between partners and you should gradually teach them, explain.

2|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend comes from a broken home. It’s tough. We definitely lack the same morals and values. My parents have been married for 25 years

1|0
    0|0
  • Completely irrelevant it's purely down to individual personality

1|0
    0|0
  • So far so good, when been together for 7 years now. Sadly he and his father have no relationship but it hasn't effected us in anyway.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don’t see how that would make someone less willing to put in effort to overcome difficulties.

1|0
    0|0
  • i dont think i dated someone who had divorced parents ,

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not a plus, put it that way.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes