Can a criminal record ruin your life?

A girl i know got arrested at 20 for accessory armed robbery. I told her her future is pretty much over. And she said.. no people make mistakes. I dont see it as a mistake i see it as character flaw and a choice u made. She is 25 now but she works at a customer made service making 10 dollars an hour.

513

Most Helpful Guys

• The specifics of the case matter, but all things considered, no her life isn’t over. It’s true that certain doors might be closed to her forever, but she can still find a good job and making a good living.

• i dont believe criminals should get a second chance in life. She hasn't changed a bit as she threathend to beat me up

• yes, I got one due to self defence a few years back, while protecting my oldest son from an attacker... and from when I protected an ex (then fiancee) from an attacker a few years earlier...
    luckily i got a caution when I protected my ex, and they cautioned the attacker too but that was the first main nail in my career choice to become a copper
    the one where i got for protecting my son, the people who attacked hit me cos i wouldn't move, and they reported me even fabricated injuries which i know I wasn't responsible for as i never hit them, they also blackmailed witnesses who had left the room before the incident was supposed to have occurred into signing a statement, and 3 weeks later I got arrested and an ABH for something I hadn't done...
    so final nail in my career as a copper, plus made me dislike them even more after that...

but it can effect other jobs as people assume you are trouble

Most Helpful Girl

• If she never went to court for the crime, it won't even appear on a public records search. Under the FCRA in the USA, one can only consider convictions less than 7 years in the past for pre-employment purposes. Many people are arrested for crimes they are never found guilty of. Arrest records, for that reason, can't be used to make an employment determination, and unless SHE tells them, it won't come up on a background check.

• she went to court... but she only got one week in prison

• well she can't get into the us

• Oh, that's another story entirely. That's outside the US. Yeah, who knows how long that can effect her.