Does this mean my boyfriend actually wants to break up? In a sneaky way?

My boyfriend and I recently had an argument (he was texting a girl that he says is just a friend) that consisted of me telling him we are done. The next day he text me saying "I'm guessing we are done anyway". I said well it doesn't seem like you want to be with me.

He said the girl is just a friend and he does want to be with me. He text me again that night to say "what do you wanna do so, break up or keep going" (strange?) So I said why do you keep asking me that. He said because he wants to know what I want. I said well if you didn't have a girlfriend you can text who you like.

His response "I don't want to text who I want because I want you" and "we will stay together if you want us to" huh? Does this all just mean he wants me to break up with him cos he won't do it. Just so he can be with this other girl? Opinions?

02