What would you do if someone threatened to hurt themselves after you reject them?

i recently turned down a guy who asked me out, he was kind of creepy and i barely knew him, so it was an easy and logical decision. as soon as i reject him (politely, mind you) he starts berating me for not giving him a chance and going on a tirade on how no one can love him and that he should just kill himself.

i know i shouldn't feel guilty, and yet i do. he said i led him on, but i never felt that i did, and often times i felt pressured to continue the conversation with him despite feeling uncomfortable (he once talked about sexual things regarding his ex, and got really upset when i said that i had to go because i had homework to do, which wasn't a lie).

are there any "good" ways to reject someone? what am i supposed to say to him when he says stuff about wanting to kill himself because "nobody loves him"?

05

Most Helpful Guy

• He's trying to guilt trip you into going out with him. I would stop all contact and block him etc. He's not your circus, he's not your monkey.

As for the actual rejection, rejecting people sucks but you just have to be willing to be a slight asshole/bitch for a few seconds and pull that bandaid off the poor bastard. Having your dreams crushed always sucks but its not your responsibility that he put a ton of his emotions into somebody who just wasn't interested, thats his problem. You just need to be as kind as possible when telling him you are not interested in him in that way.

I usually just say something along the lines of "I think you're awesome (usually I try to give a real reason if there is one but don't lie), but Im just not feeling it for X reason." Usually in my case there is some compatability issue I can blame it all on, I wouldn't usually say its because I didn't find them attractive etc as thats hard to hear even if it is true. I wouldn't lie but there's usually a secondary reason that I can just emphasize a bit more.