Guys, how do you get your girlfriend off your back?

I met my boyfriend about 8months ago. We started out (not proud to say this) but as friends with benefits and then he "ghosted" for a 1month work trip which I didn't know of. So when he returned and texted me, I flipped cause obviously I thought he dead. 3-4months after that text, we hang out casually out of the bedroom and got to know each other. Slowly he stared showing interest of wanting to be a couple. We did trips together, have sleepovers, do brunch, movie dates yet we don't communicate much.

We've been exclusively dating for 3-4months now and his work has done a lot to us. Because I know he travels and is always tired, i try to be patient and clear my calendar when he is around. At the same time, I feel like i dont know anything about his life.

At the moment, im not ready to give up and want to work it out. We have had arguments so many times when I tell him we're not spending time and not communicating. He user to rarely texts or call me for 2-3 days. Now he makes an effort to text daily.

I would like to improve how we communicate and grow together. Im guessing the easiest way is to ask him how we can do this? But I don't want to ask or talk to him about it as we have had arguements on lack of time so often. I just want to try on my side, so at least when im done and calling it quits.. i know i did my best.

Guys, whats the best way that you feel your girlfriend can connect and communicate with you? If its true activity, what kind would you suggest?

01