Would you date someone you work or have worked with? Why? And if you did, how did it go?

If you met the right person, would take a chance to mix work with dating, is it worth it or not?
Love & Work !
Love & Work !

For me, I mostly have a chance to meet girls from work, and I have tried to get a girl's number at work, so I would take that chance, because I won't fool around, I am serious about it.

#GreatInquirerFTW
  • Yes , I would
    Vote A
  • No , I don't think it will work
    Vote B
  • I did, and I regret it
    Vote C
  • I did, and it was great
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Oh, didn't get promoted 😕😕
Thanks for all the answers, I will try to reply to your answers as soon as possible

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• Unless it's someone working in a completely different department and I rarely/never see him at work, I wouldn't want to. I find it very unprofessional, plus it seems like these things mostly just end badly. Not to mention that I think spending some time apart is only healthy in a relationship. I couldn't imagine waking up with someone at the exact same time, heading to the same office, working the same hours, spending all day in the same room, heading home at the same time, eating dinner together, going to bed and doing it all over again 5 days a week. Nuh-uh. Nope. That's too much. I want us to have our own jobs, and for us to spend some time apart during the day so that we get the chance to miss each other and feel excited to go home.

0|1
    0|0
    • I'm dating someone from *my* department and we're doing good. 😉
      I'm the proof that it's not that bad but i don't really care to convince anyone otherwise. So It's basically just for myself.

• Show All
    • Well that’s different because it’s your dad.

• I guess so, one day maybe I will have a girlfriend 😁

• Personally I would not date a coworker ever again, I tried it once and it was a shit show.
    He and I met at a meeting, we were both at other locations at the time. We clicked but didn’t really take it anywhere at that point. About 6 months later he transferred to my location and things kind of went from there. I wanted to keep it quiet because I didn’t care for the idea of everyone knowing my personal business and where I worked it felt very much like highschool all over again, lots of gossip and rumors.
    I wanted to keep it quiet, as I said, he said ok but then turned around and told people. It wasn’t bad enough that the people at our location knew but other locations found out too. It was very uncomfortable for me that everyone knew what was going on in my life. The topper to it was that it wasn’t uncommon for one location to call another location looking for an item so at that point I wasn’t even called by name when someone wanted to talk to me to ask about something, I had become “Pete’s girl”, and that lasted far longer than the relationship did.
    For me it’s not something I’d ever do again. I’m not saying it can’t work, dating someone you work with, but I think there are far more fails then successes when it comes to that.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I have in the past and would to it again. I've also known large numbers of other people who have. I can't think of any of them who had a problem with it.

I think the negatives you hear about it are vastly over stated. I think it's just cherry picking and ignores all the cases that don't have a problem.

0|1
    0|0
    • I see , well I don't know about it
      one day maybe, I will date xd

• i tried it out and the girl used the workplace leverage to get away with things and also tried to make me look bad to create workplace gossip. I also focused on her more than my job (bad), however she did improve my wellbeing and physical ability and made me look more attractive to a majority female workforce who recognised my new strengths but the male manager didn't like it at all (tried to upset me on my last day). The female workforce all sent me off in a great way.
    There is another girl in that workplace who i will now pursue since I've left, she showed me nothing but kindness.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 25

• Many would say it's unprofessional to mix work and dating as it can cause friction in professionalism. My exception is that I find it okay as long as you aren't working directly with eachother (so if you're in separate departments, that's fine) I'm currently dating someone I've met through work though I've known him previously from school as well. I hardly see him as I'm a nurse in a ward that's not ER and he's a medic.

1|1
    0|0
    • I'm dating someone from *my* department and we're doing good. 😉
      I'm the proof that it's not that bad but i don't really care to convince anyone otherwise. So It's basically just for myself.

• Show All
    • Thanks mate! Kind regards, sir!

• @Unit1 Welcome mate :)

• I have and I ended up quitting. I was more focused on them than my job. We're still together though! There comes a point where you have to ask yourself, what's more important, the relationship or the job.

0|1
    0|0
  • Recently had a thing with my co worker and I've learnt it was a bad desion to ever have gotten my feelings involved with him as he ended up braking my heart and we're just not the same anymore as how we used to be because of it

0|1
    1|0
  • I never did it. I'm not sure if would want to do that. I mean, if we break up, I'd still have to see them everyday. Not to mention how awkward it would be if they're my boss

0|1
    0|0
    • Maybe , but if you are both grown ups, it should not be a problem

• No way will I date a current coworker. Too many problems.

0|2
    0|0
  • Sure, my current boyfriend is also a coworker than mine.
    Honestly it's the best, our time shedules are literally the same, so we don't have to be inventive to find time to stay together.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't lose your job. You got battery luck dating a best friend then co worker who will chat with co workers about your little business intimacy you had.

0|1
    0|0
  • Did go out with a guy I worked with before , really did change the way he acted towards me at work so I did regret it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes , I would. I think it's more practicable and simple also by working together you get to know the person well.

1|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't because when you spend too much time with that person in this case in work and then home it's not good for a relationship but I'm not saying it can't work it just doesn't work for me.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm a private person and my office likes to gossip. So no
    I've been very close though on two separate occasions.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never. I don’t want to bring my relationship problems to the workplace

0|2
    1|0
  • I don't think it's an easy path for a successful relationship or career

0|1
    1|0
  • Did once. It ended really badly.

0|2
    0|0
  • Old saying: “Never mix business with pleasure.”

0|1
    1|0
  • I did once. Didn't work out.

0|1
    0|0
  • I did and we are married now

1|1
    0|0
  • No. I wouild neve rmarry a colleague

0|1
    0|0
  • Yea if its something we built together :)

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, i would.

0|1
    0|0
  • I did and regret it

0|1
    0|0
  • i have, it went well

0|1
    0|0
  • I knew 2 teachers from my school who are now married. They teach the same grade, too. They kept it a secret for a long time even though there were rumors. They revealed it after the man teacher proposed. Even the other teachers didn't know. They said it was hard going on dates without being seen my students.

0|1
    0|0
  • I did. And it was the worst decision ever. I wanted to keep it a secret. But he was super jealous and wanted everyone to know I was his. So he did and haha.. all my friends there turned against me and sided with him. He had other of our coworkers “watch me” and they would make up a bunch of lies and cause problems. Not only that his boss from his department was always treating me like crap trying to make me look bad all the time. And suddenly he started going against him secretly. LET ME JUST SAY. it was chaos. Because of all that it drove me out that place. I lost everything. The guy was an asshole, my co workers were assholes. They were all so kind and sweet to me. Till that piece of shit came along. And my dumbass after working 2 years and moving up. I made that dumb decision. And the boyfriend turned out to be even a bigger asshole. So yup. Never again.

0|1
    0|0
    • An A hole indeed
      But, isn't it better that you are out of this toxic place?

• Yes absolutely. It’s just unfortunate because it was a good paying job. And I wanted to leave on good terms. But I couldn’t even have that. But now I’m at an even better job. Lesson learned. Never dating a coworker again.

• Don't close the door all the way, and I think it was a blessing in disguise.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 34

• No, and I wouldn't do it- too much awkwardness if it doesn't work out and if it does, jealousy and/or rumors.

0|2
    0|0
  • One of my jobs early on added the rule about not dating. There were six of us, so it didn’t really matter, but I think they had some lawyers just tell them to throw it in.

I work for a company, but it’s kind of a singular thing. I don’t meet single women through work, as far as I can tell.

There IS someone I’d consider dating, but I only see her once a year during professional development sessions. And I don’t really have much of an opportunity to ask her out. We’ll see if that changes.

0|1
    0|0
    • Why not?
      You make it happen, exchange business cards , easy.

• Tried it. She doesn't have any business cards, but I gave her mine... but either she's not interested, lost the card, or is waiting for me to ask for her number, whatever... she hasn't contacted me - which I figured she might not.

And I am pretty shy, and generally not a person who feels comfortable asking a woman when I only talk to her for like three minutes once or twice a year. Maybe next time, but that could be a while, unless I somehow happen to see her somewhere (unlikely).

• Man, try to look up her Facebook, that's easy way to talk to her

• I am not my job. You don't get to choose who you work with anyhow so there's always a chance you won't get along whoever you're working with. So what's the difference if the relationship goes south. I'm always going to take a chance on love and happiness.

0|3
    0|0
  • Depends how closely you work together. There's someone i'm attracted to, who sits on the desk behind mine. It's too close, it'ld just be awkward. If eother of us were to move tk a different team i'd ask her out for a drink. (The organisation i work in is about 2500 people, with multiple buildings in London so dating at work could work)

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t.

I think dating someone you work with falls under the same category as someone you share a house or student accommodation with.

It’s happened to me once in the past, it ended badly, and things were really awkward since we often bumped into eachother.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't mind if we used to work together. I wouldn't prefer if we already work together, but it's not a total disqualifies. I just prefer to compartmentalize my life as much as possible.

0|1
    0|0
  • a lot of people who cheat is because they meet someone at work and that person is someone they see everyday. Their attention is prioritized. So yes, it could be easier as we are forced together in a way.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's risky, but any foray into love is. The biggest drawback is that if the breakup goes bad, you now have to work with your ex.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sure, where else are you supposed to meet someone?
    But I suppose it kinda depends on the workplace. I've had coworkers that I didn't see more than once a week. But I could see it being problematic if you worked an office job

0|1
    0|0
  • Did. Bad situation after. Large regret. Bad move. Have seen it over an over w others trying. Don’t do it. Now as a owner / boss. I will fire the newest employee that gets together w one of the others.

0|1
    0|0
    • Why would you do that, don't stand in way of love
      I might be naive , but at lest try to talk with them first , make them choose

• I tell them when there hired. No dating. If they want to. Put in notification an leave. If you do not understand this concept as to why. Ask someone in management of a company to explain it to you

• Fair enough

• Sure, why not.
    Just keep the work and relationship separated is the slightly hard part of it but doesn't stop me.

I am currently in that type of relationship. Nothing wrong with that.

0|1
    0|0
    • Show All
    • Yes, most people just assume it will end up bad, that might be a reason why they fail

• Exactly.

• Only if her name were Pam Beesly or Lana Kane haha. Or Kim Possible.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never. There is a good reason for it and it goes something like this:"Never shit where you eat!" Human relationships always end up with at least one person get hurt, if you work together that means that productivity drops for two employees, and that means that others will need to do your job, and eventually that can lead for both ex lovers to be fired. Dating someone you work with is I would say something for which you end up brave, but if it ends badly bravery turns to stupidity.

I don't like to gamble with my workplace and income.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I was taught early on to "never dip your pen in company ink." It's actually brilliant advice, especially in the present MeToo whiplash.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not sure it would be a good idea, unless you were able to work at different sites.

0|1
    0|0
  • Why not, that's probably where I will find my first date :)

0|1
    0|0
  • In a office setting its risky - What happens if it goes wrong?

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd rather not if I can help it. Mixing business with pleasure is not a good idea, for very good reason.

0|1
    0|0
  • Personal experience says no. Twice. It's ok to be friends at work, even work spouses. But dating outside work? No.

0|1
    0|0
    • No I guess

• You sound disappointed. Maybe you should go for it after all? But be prepared for your company to come down on you. Workplace relationships are generally frowned upon.

• I am not , I am just agreeing with you
      I have 0 experience in dating

• When i did work there was few girls who worked with me
    but i never thought about dating any of them.

0|1
    0|0
  • I’d think having a relationship with someone I currently work with would be bad

But a former coworker is no biggie

0|1
    0|0
  • I have, a few times, and I'd do it again. No worries.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am currently we both work at a school she is a teaching assistant I am a janitor

0|1
    0|0
  • U would. However in my experience, women just aren't interested in me.

0|1
    1|0
  • I will do it again whenever the situation shows up.

0|1
    0|0
  • I thought your not suppose to shit where you eat... so they say...

0|1
    0|0
  • Never mix business with pleasure. In this case.."work".

0|1
    0|0
  • I did and it turned out terribly

0|1
    0|0
    • Show All
    • Welcome :)

• Why not?

0|1
    0|0
  • I could easily handle it so sure.

0|1