How do guys feel when a girl says she will pay on a date?

Well, in most cultures, if not all, men pay on first dates, if not all. As for me I usually feel guilty when a man spends so much on me yet I can buy myself the same thing. I don't mind being treated once in a while but I also don't want to seem dependent on him all the time. How do guys feel about this? Do they enjoy spending on their girl or do they feel like they are obligated to do so?

5

Most Helpful Guy

• you're a welcome rarity.
    it's a bit of a surprise as it goes against (u. s.) convention; however, i was open to it but more comfortable with "dutch" (each pays their own), tho. it tells someone you're not out for a free meal, which happens far too often.
    am sure roots of the custom go WAY back, but expect it had to do with guys (w/money) being the "asker" and girls (w/the goods) being the "agreeer." guys would pay as a means of expressing their appreciation for the girls' time and attentions. this has evolved to a societal norm wrt manners - like holding the door, etc. - in which guys are normally expected to pay.
    NOW - there are some who take advantage of this. anyone who's ever had a date order and then have the meal boxed for take-out so they could eat at home (alone), had them bring friends (and expect the bill to be paid by the date), or had a date "eat and dash" (leave w/o notice), will tell you that guys DO watch for such behavior.