What is ghosting exactly?

Dating this guy for a few weeks.. went out about 10x

i texted him earlier tonight and haven’t heard from him yet...
Do you think he ghosted me or something happen w his phone?

I understand that i am in my head and it’s probably nothing

i am not a needy person - all about the space just don’t like getting ghosted or ignored -it hurts

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Ghosting generally happens when a person goes out with someone for a date or two, and then they never talk to or reply back to that person. Sometimes it happens when a guy gets what he wanted from her. Sometimes it happens when a person finds out that the person is no where near who they originally thought the person was. The problems with the person could be so bad that explaining what the problem you have with them could be worse than just ghosting them.

In your case, it's is most likely nothing. Think about if you got a feeling from the guy that something is off, not like it was previously. If you were both clicking, just be patient.

1|2
    0|0
  • Ghosting is essentially worse than leaving on read. It's basically like, not responding to any series of messages for a period of time longer than, I would say, 2 days. Like, not even opening the chat. Just leaving the message box open. I honestly hate people like that, intentional or not, because we all put effort into talking and reaching out. And to not have that acknowledged with even just a "hey there!" Or a "hi, sup?" Is beyond infuriating and childish. So those are the people I ignore. I treat people the way I would like to be treated. But I if I can see I'm being treated in a way I don't like, I treat that person the way they treated me, so they know how it feels. In this case, I just cut them out. Just delete their chat and move on. They wanna ignore you, so give them what they want, let them learn from that. It's not like they're communicating altogether.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Did you hear back from him yet?
    If you asked him a question and he still didn't reply, then yeah I'd say he ghosted you. Just move on, don't text him again.
    But if your text wasn't a question, just something that doesn't require an answer, then you're over-thinking. You basically saw each other almost every day since you started dating, it's normal to get some space of few days every now and then. Just chill,, live your life and wait for him to contact you again. I say 3 days is okay, but if he still hasn't contact you in 3 days, then move on.
    When me and my boyfriend started dating, he told me he'll call me later that day, but he didn't. He called me the next day. I also thought he ghosted me and I told him that, lol. We had a good laugh about it. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Does the messaging app gives you a read receipt when someone has read your text?

I read that you've been dating him for at least 10 times. How well do you know how life? Does he work? What are his work hours? Does he get exhausted after work? Does he have to take care of a family member?

I would say that don't text more. I'm assuming that your previous texts already warranted a response (not just for his information kind of text, but a question or something which he should be resonating with)

Give him one day to see if he responds. I don't like waiting for somebody to reply while guessing what is going on, either, but just be patient. Give him a day, if he does not reply, give another day, if he still does not reply, then goodbye

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• Give it 24 hours. If he still hasn't responded, shoot him another text and give it another 24 hours. If he doesn't respond after that, call him. If that doesn't work, he either lost his phone, is going through something really difficult or is deliberately ignoring you. If he did lose his phone though, he'd probably call you from a friend's phone or something pretty quickly to make you aware.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ghosting is basically cutting someone out of you’re life. I wouldn’t say this is ghosting yet, maybe he went to sleep and will reply tomorrow? Give him some time. After a few days or a week without a reply I would say it’s ghosting.

0|1
    0|0
  • Is texting the only way you can get a hold of him?
    Maybe he fell asleep.
    If you don't hear from him in the morning or for a day or two then you can suspect something is up.

0|1
    0|0
  • this is ghosting someone...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng0olzfFzog

0|1
    0|0
  • All is ok. Iv always taken ghosting as a long term thing like months so it’s not that like previous comments give it till tomorrow. Add a question in your next text to evoke a reply :). Now chillllll :)

0|0
    0|0
  • You might be paranoid, ghosting would be following another's Internet activity without letting that them know, trolls do it, then post anonymously to attack you.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm the same way. but it's best to just give it time and you could just text em again the worst that will happen is he will know you care for him and is that all that bad really? 👌

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, most likely yes, and about ghosting is the most used into dating.
    When I go out with a girl, I know that the most likely result is ghosting, so go getting used to it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Could be anything. Wait for an answer. If its been too long, then he might have probably ghosted you!

0|0
    0|0
  • Best option is to keep you conversation in fb messenger. That way you can see if he has read your text. But other than that if its only been a few hours i wouldn't worry about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Give him a call after a day or two. If you don't hear back, then I will play the pessimist here. Nothing's wrong with his phone. He knows very well that you are into him, and he may well be into something/someone else.
    Also for all girls never give sex to a guy, just because you like him, he is charming near perfect... all that. I know we all want sex and want the perfect partner. The sad truth is no one in this world is perfect. So find out what kind of person you are dating with... don't give your 100%, let him put some effort onto you, let the guys chase you, like it has always been, not the other way.
    If I were you... I would try not to check my phone for a reply back from him... give him a call, ask him if everything is ok.. and let him know that you haven't heard back.
    Normally if I like a person, I will try to reply in a day... cause I might be busy or something came up and I forgot.

0|0
    0|0
  • So what maybe something came up and he hasn’t checked his messages.

0|2
    0|0
  • Ghosting is totally cutting all means of contact without any explanation.

0|1
    0|0
  • Basically when you send someone a message and they don't reply or vice versa

0|0
    0|0
  • Be patient and wait for a little bit. Maybe ask a friend of theirs to see if they're alright.

0|0
    0|0
  • Talk to him. Don't let people who don't care about you to make you depressed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Few weeks no sex can be ghosting for sure.

0|1
    1|0
  • Maybe he's sleeping?

0|2
    0|0
  • Most likely he isn't ghosting

0|2
    0|0
  • I feel the same way

1|0
    0|0
  • I could tell you, but I'd rather show you...

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe. But you can tell for sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ghosting is ignoring/disappearing

0|0
    0|0
  • Choosing to act "unreachable" for certain people

0|0
    0|0
  • He's probably at work

0|0
    0|0
  • In the 10x that you went out, did you ever pay anything towards it? split the tab? did you get intimate yet?

0|0
    0|0
    • I would go out with and text and call you ever day

• @johnny1968 The irony is that if the guy did this, she'd probably be the one stepping back saying she wants more space. As someone put it... when you follow... they flee... when you flee... they follow.

• That’s pretty much what it is

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 17

• I think you should give him a day or two. Something unexpected might have came up.

1|2
    0|0
  • Ghosting is basically no contact no explanation. he's not ghosting yet. If he doesn’t talk to u in a week or more he's ghosting

1|3
    0|0
  • My advice is call him
    Or go to his home of u know where he lives
    He is probably asleep

1|3
    0|0
    • I wouldn’t do that he’s needs some chill time for some reason. But you need to let him know you still there somehow

• It is not ghosting yet since he might have plenty of reasons not to answer right away. If he doesn't get back to you within say a week you're free to move on.

1|0
    0|0
  • Thats not ghosting he's probably just not read your message. Ghosting is repeatedly leaving someone on read and taking hours or not replying at all

0|0
    0|0
  • Well the question details imply you already know what ghosting is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Give it a few days if by then no response it’s ghosting

0|0
    0|0
  • Ghosting means not reacting or not having contact with you for several weeks even after you send several texts

0|0
    0|0
  • How long has it been since you heard from him and what was your last interaction?

0|0
    0|0
  • leave a convo relationship and dont say explain y for weeks

0|0
    0|0
  • not sure

0|0
    0|0
  • He ghost you harder than pinkie avoided Pacman

0|1
    1|0
  • Be patient...

0|0
    0|0
  • * dude has a life. Easy killer

0|0
    0|0
  • Not sure

0|0
    0|0
  • He's just busy. Don't worry he'll reply

0|0
    0|0
  • Chill. Just texted him tonight. Not like it's days... He may just be busy.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes