How would you feel if the roles were switched for men and women?

How do you think it would be like if the roles were really reversed?
For me:
Girl would wear the pants, make all the decisions, ask the guy out, and control all the money.
Girl would hold doors for guys, open car doors for guys, and guys would...

guys would stay at home and take care of the kids, wake up at weird hours to make sure the kid goes back to sleep, clean and cook and wash dishes all day long, do the clothes... go shopping for everything...

girls will buy guys romantic presents... but girls will also fix all the car and house related things.
girls will not understand feelings, and be emotionally cold and distant. girls will not share any thoughts or ideas with the guy and just treat guy like a sex object, and a servant who cooks and cleans.
  • totally ok with it
    Vote A
  • that's strange
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Wait, are you under the impression that men WANT to be emotionally cold or distant? We WANT to treat women dismissively?

NO!

It's just if you don't do that, good luck finding a date. Women will assume you're gay or clingy or there is something wrong with you if you don't fit this stereotype.

1|3
    0|0
    • LOL... OK?

• Show All
    • I have read the book 7 principles of marriage and only about 30% or something like that of men have emotional intelligence/empathy. More women have it than men... why don't men have emotional intelligence? I have also read books like "how to have a new husband by friday" and men don't really care if the toilet paper has fallen off and is on the floor for months... it's usually the women doing most of the buying necessities and cleaning/cooking/tidying up etc... why is this? I wouldn't mind if you guys had more understanding of feelings, and would clean more. I had a neighbor back in the day and she hated men roommates and her complaint was that men don't clean up after themselves.

• Ok... So do you think these are perks about being a man? Because I clean up after myself, spend a lot of time exploring my emotions and journaling them and have a good sense of empathy, and women just tend to think it makes me gay. Meaning men who don't do these things are seen as more masculine, meaning women date them, meaning they receive reinforcement for not having emotional intelligence and not cleaning up after themselves, meaning they'll keep doing it. Not being able to identify, Express and deal with emotions is not a perk though. It only is reinforced because people say it's how men are supposed to be.

• You need to read "The Power" by Naomi Alderman.
    It is a novel that came out in the USA a year ago and was on many Best of 2017 book lists including being the first book listed in Obama's 2017 list.

This book is a novel within a novel. It starts with a series of letters between a member of the Men's Writers Association named Neil who has written an historical novel called "The Power". He is submitting this book to Naomi, his female friend / mentor, also an author and/or editor, to solicit her thoughts on his book. Most of the middle of the book is Neil's novel. The end of the book is more letters between Neil and Naomi.

Now, you need to understand that in Neil and Naomi's world, it is a world more-or-less contemporary with ours except that it is 5000 years from now after "The Cataclysm" and women are the dominant gender.

Conventional wisdom in their time is that women have always been the dominant gender and that The Cataclysm was the result of an apocalyptic world war between (women dominated) nation-states of the time. Neil though is an archeologist and the prevailing theory of the archeologists is that before The Cataclysm, MEN were the dominant gender and it was when women gained their physical power that enabled them to dominate men that The Cataclysm happened.

Neil's novel, The Power, is historical fiction in that it gives a story of what the world was like before The Cataclysm and that shows the transformation of the world as women start to gain their power and what leads up to The Cataclysm.

What is this power women gain?

Teen girls around the world start developing a muscular organ along their collarbone called a skein. This skein can generate electricity that women can emit from their fingers. This power is very much like electric eels. The electric jolts can be enough to fatally electrocute someone.

More importantly, the teen girls can "awaken" this in older women and all girls are now born with skeins.

Most importantly, boys and men don't have skeins.

As @wouterv noted, the world as we know it comes to an end and must begin anew.

2|0
    0|0
    • very interesting... so in all women would be evil if they ruled the world? is that the bottom line? and men need to keep women in check?

• Show All
    • @Hurlyburly You are more than welcome, young lady.

The publisher is Hachette. In the past 11 months since I discovered this book on Wednesday before Thanksgiving from reading the NY Times, I have bought this book in hardcover 5 times!

• @abc3643 I'll probably grab the German translation, already looked a bit into it on Amazon :)

Most Helpful Girls

• Damn your gender role ideas are pretty much biased... I'm glad that I do not have to live in your little world.

0|4
    0|0
    • you did not answer the question, how would you feel if sex roles switched for men and women?

• Show All
    • the existing ones you think exist... those are the ones I think exists.

• So if the existing ones would switch then... Eh not much would change actually except of women having it way way harder if it comes to divorce. Since I'm not even planning to marry yet I do not think that I would feel any different. But will women be physically stronger too then? Otherwise most "men" jobs would become damn inefficient.

• You're deluded. Guys don't make all decisions nor control the money. You're either stupid and your boyfriends don't want you to make bad decisions or just have wild imagination. Also, most guys aren't cold and emotionally distant. Actually many guys are very lively and make great jokes. I think they understand feelings too. Guys do share their thoughts and honestly most of the guys don't treat women like sex objects nor servants.

You're deluded petty excuse for a woman. You're making me ashamed of my gender.

0|4
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 66

• I prefer a relationship of equals.

by the way, in a lot of families, women do Control the Money or the men take care of the Kids a lot.

2|2
    0|0
  • Well first and foremost your perception is entirely wrong. Men make the decisions but they are based on what the girl wants, not what he wants so she technically already controls the relationship. She also is in control of the money (80% of all domestic spending is done by women, 70% globally) the only thing he controls is how much of it he makes at which point all of that pretty much just goes straight to her. Women work fewer hours then men so that's also something to consider, especially when you say women would wake up at weird hours to care for children, I mean maybe in the past but now? Now the man does all the things I pointed out but also does the house work and takes care of children. Also in your scenario it would be women who would have to risk their life protecting men, it would be women who would be overwhelmingly more likely to be homeless (80% of homeless are men) while it would be men who society would fixate on while women suffered. It would also mean that women would be 80% of all suicides instead of men while being told that they are worthless and to stop being so selfish and thank about men for a change, as well as being the ones to do all the shitty, physically grueling and/or dangerous jobs like construction, mining, fire department, police department, military, waste management etc. as well as being 97% of all workplace deaths/accidents while men got to take the easy and safe jobs all the while watching the grueling work women where doing while claiming that they (men) where being oppressed. That would also mean that women instead of men would be the victims of violent crimes 80% of the time (and the more violent the crime the more likely it would be a woman who died (currently its the opposite). We would automatically be believed when we stated we where being mistreated, it would be women who would be the predominant victim of domestic violence instead of men. Yeah, that doesn't sound so bad. As for the doing dishes and cleaning all day, we have dish washers, washing machines, dryers, vacuums so that "all day" is actually at best a couple of hours. As for the "emotionally distant", men are not emotionally distant and cold, you just don't understand men and expect them to act like women (which if they did we would not have society). So over all I would be fine with it, I could work less, spend more then be catered to by both spouse and society as a whole plus I would have far more rights then I have now.

0|2
    0|0
  • Well, in my marriage I did work and also help with our child, change diapers, make formula in the middle if the night, clean up the house, fix the car, wash clothes etc.
    We didn't have traditional roles.
    Now I'm a single dad and I still have to be an all around parent for my child.
    My point is that I haven't experienced physically being a woman, but I did doing everything a dad and a mom would do for our child.
    I think there's a lot of people like that these days.

1|0
    0|0
  • wait a sec. so, you mean girls would die in battles. girls would be falsly accused of rape. girls would take responsibility for their actions. men would start movements to get rights they already have. men could have children with hotties then get them raised by good earning weird girls? all incentives would come to men? and men could act unresponsibly as a child?

2|2
    0|0
  • This is bullshit. Women don't have to stay at home, can make decisions for themselves and nobody takes their money away. This is a blatant strawman. This hasn't been the case for ovee 70 years in the West. I assume that's where you are writing from.

Obviously men wouldn't be OK with being second class citizens, neither were women. That is exactly why they aren't.

1|1
    0|0
  • That would be weird, but I guess I could deal with it. There was once a sitcom in the 70's called All That Glitters, that had the role reversal. The women were all execs and corporate leaders, while the men got ogled, and were secretaries, or house husbands, or whatever.

1|0
    0|1
  • As long as I get boobs too, I'm fine with it.

Joke aside, I think it's the best if both do 50/50 (more or less) in the different roles. This world where girls and guys have different pre-defined roles is slowly but surely melting away, which I think is great. I'd feel weird going into a relationship where I have no part in keeping the household and my partner doesn't work a regular job, etc. I know I wouldn't be happy with this, and I'm pretty sure not a lot of girls would either.

1|0
    0|0
  • To be honest, the way you wrote that made it sound like men would be better off taking up the women's role. I'm in!

1|0
    0|0
  • Right now my wife is working and I'm between jobs. That means I am the one doing dishes and cooking. Waiting for her to get home and all that. This sucks for both of us. She don't like being bread winner and I don't like being house man. I can't wait to get another job.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm sure this is happening somewhere in the world right now. I've known people who are in relationships in the girl definitely wear the pants in the dude was at the pad holding down the house. Never been my situation but still. I wouldn't mind staying home with the kids though I know the kind of impact I would have on raising my own children

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 13

• I think your description of the male and female roles/stereotypes is a bit extreme. Men are very well capable of being emotional, and they don't generally treat women as sex objects. The same applies for women as well - I have yet to meet a woman who cleans and cooks and washes dishes all day long.
    Anyway, to answer your question, I am perfectly content being a woman and I wouldn't really want to take on the men's role in society.

0|3
    0|0
  • This sounds to me like you're making all men sound like morons/heartless bastards... who hurt you? O_O

There are men who do clean, cook, and look after the kids... it's 2018 now. There is good and bad in both sexes. I'd rather just remain as myself tbh.

0|3
    0|0
  • Terrible, awful. I'd wanna kill myself. I'm not even exaggerating. I'd gladly live in the 50's before these crap happens.

0|3
    0|0
    • Well technically women in the 50s where much happier then they are now, so that would actually probably be great (well minus the absence of modern technology).

• How would you feel if the roles were switched for men and women?

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m constantly grateful to have been born a woman. I would hate that.

0|3
    0|0
  • Strange because that sounds like the worst relationship ever, not in just all situations.

0|0
    0|0
  • Totally okay with that
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

1|1
    0|0
  • What is this? The 1950's? Times have changed. 😓

0|2
    0|0
  • Watch the movie " It's a boy girl thing "

1|0