How would you feel if the roles were switched for men and women?

How do you think it would be like if the roles were really reversed?
For me:
Girl would wear the pants, make all the decisions, ask the guy out, and control all the money.
Girl would hold doors for guys, open car doors for guys, and guys would...

guys would stay at home and take care of the kids, wake up at weird hours to make sure the kid goes back to sleep, clean and cook and wash dishes all day long, do the clothes... go shopping for everything...

girls will buy guys romantic presents... but girls will also fix all the car and house related things.
girls will not understand feelings, and be emotionally cold and distant. girls will not share any thoughts or ideas with the guy and just treat guy like a sex object, and a servant who cooks and cleans.
  • totally ok with it
  • that's strange

1568

Most Helpful Guys

• Wait, are you under the impression that men WANT to be emotionally cold or distant? We WANT to treat women dismissively?

NO!

It's just if you don't do that, good luck finding a date. Women will assume you're gay or clingy or there is something wrong with you if you don't fit this stereotype.

• LOL... OK?

• I have read the book 7 principles of marriage and only about 30% or something like that of men have emotional intelligence/empathy. More women have it than men... why don't men have emotional intelligence? I have also read books like "how to have a new husband by friday" and men don't really care if the toilet paper has fallen off and is on the floor for months... it's usually the women doing most of the buying necessities and cleaning/cooking/tidying up etc... why is this? I wouldn't mind if you guys had more understanding of feelings, and would clean more. I had a neighbor back in the day and she hated men roommates and her complaint was that men don't clean up after themselves.

• Ok... So do you think these are perks about being a man? Because I clean up after myself, spend a lot of time exploring my emotions and journaling them and have a good sense of empathy, and women just tend to think it makes me gay. Meaning men who don't do these things are seen as more masculine, meaning women date them, meaning they receive reinforcement for not having emotional intelligence and not cleaning up after themselves, meaning they'll keep doing it. Not being able to identify, Express and deal with emotions is not a perk though. It only is reinforced because people say it's how men are supposed to be.

• You need to read "The Power" by Naomi Alderman.
    It is a novel that came out in the USA a year ago and was on many Best of 2017 book lists including being the first book listed in Obama's 2017 list.

This book is a novel within a novel. It starts with a series of letters between a member of the Men's Writers Association named Neil who has written an historical novel called "The Power". He is submitting this book to Naomi, his female friend / mentor, also an author and/or editor, to solicit her thoughts on his book. Most of the middle of the book is Neil's novel. The end of the book is more letters between Neil and Naomi.

Now, you need to understand that in Neil and Naomi's world, it is a world more-or-less contemporary with ours except that it is 5000 years from now after "The Cataclysm" and women are the dominant gender.

Conventional wisdom in their time is that women have always been the dominant gender and that The Cataclysm was the result of an apocalyptic world war between (women dominated) nation-states of the time. Neil though is an archeologist and the prevailing theory of the archeologists is that before The Cataclysm, MEN were the dominant gender and it was when women gained their physical power that enabled them to dominate men that The Cataclysm happened.

Neil's novel, The Power, is historical fiction in that it gives a story of what the world was like before The Cataclysm and that shows the transformation of the world as women start to gain their power and what leads up to The Cataclysm.

What is this power women gain?

Teen girls around the world start developing a muscular organ along their collarbone called a skein. This skein can generate electricity that women can emit from their fingers. This power is very much like electric eels. The electric jolts can be enough to fatally electrocute someone.

More importantly, the teen girls can "awaken" this in older women and all girls are now born with skeins.

Most importantly, boys and men don't have skeins.

As @wouterv noted, the world as we know it comes to an end and must begin anew.

• very interesting... so in all women would be evil if they ruled the world? is that the bottom line? and men need to keep women in check?

• @Hurlyburly You are more than welcome, young lady.

The publisher is Hachette. In the past 11 months since I discovered this book on Wednesday before Thanksgiving from reading the NY Times, I have bought this book in hardcover 5 times!

• @abc3643 I'll probably grab the German translation, already looked a bit into it on Amazon :)

Most Helpful Girls

• Damn your gender role ideas are pretty much biased... I'm glad that I do not have to live in your little world.

• you did not answer the question, how would you feel if sex roles switched for men and women?

• the existing ones you think exist... those are the ones I think exists.

• So if the existing ones would switch then... Eh not much would change actually except of women having it way way harder if it comes to divorce. Since I'm not even planning to marry yet I do not think that I would feel any different. But will women be physically stronger too then? Otherwise most "men" jobs would become damn inefficient.

• You're deluded. Guys don't make all decisions nor control the money. You're either stupid and your boyfriends don't want you to make bad decisions or just have wild imagination. Also, most guys aren't cold and emotionally distant. Actually many guys are very lively and make great jokes. I think they understand feelings too. Guys do share their thoughts and honestly most of the guys don't treat women like sex objects nor servants.

You're deluded petty excuse for a woman. You're making me ashamed of my gender.