How early into dating is it considered cheating?

Say you ask someone out, or they ask you out (genders of either party are completely irrelevant). Also, for simplicity's sake, assume you're both looking for a monogamous relationship.

You go on a first date, it goes well, you go on a 2nd date, it goes well, you can see where this is going.

My at what point would it be considered cheating if one of you hooked up with someone else (at a party or something)? The idea being prior to this point you're not committed to each other.
  • After asking them out or being asked out and saying yes
    Vote A
  • After the 1st date
    Vote B
  • After the 1st kiss
    Vote C
  • After sleeping together
    Vote D
  • After making your relationship "official"
    Vote E
  • Other (please explain)
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not sure. I think if you discuss being monogamous. I mean I dated plenty and never expected monogamy until we discussed it. However, I'm pretty forward and would come out and ask because if it wasn't monogamous I moved on pretty quick because that's what I was looking for.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I can't consider it cheating until there is agreement that you're in an exclusive relationship. That said, if she hooks up with another guy when we've both indicated to each that we are looking for an exclusive relationship with someone, I will assume she isn't interested in me anymore and will focus on other women instead.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

• I’d say after you make it official, it would be cheating.
    However, I date exclusively and generally hope for the same with a potential partner. Especially if we were kissing/being intimate, I would hope they were not being that way with another person.

0|1
    0|0
    • I agree with this- kissing is like crossing the Rubicon. She definitely has my exclusive attention at that point, if not earlier.

• To be considered cheating I would say once you official. But to be fair I would say make it clear you aren’t exclusive if you have been on numerous dates especially if you’re sleeping together

0|0
    0|0
  • My guess would be after it's official, and it's understood by both parties.

0|0
    0|0
  • The second you decided the official

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• When we go out on a first date we can talk about stuff and talk about going out on another date why would she want to cheat on me with another guy must be a very quick worker if she cheats on me thats finish l have had 3 cheats in my life l am a very loyal guy if those thoughts are in here mind thats no use

0|0
    0|0
  • Only after we have declared exclusivity. However, I'm the type to date only one at a time. If she were to do that, I'd probably break it off.

0|0
    0|0
  • I went with first one because of "looking for a monogamous relationship."

0|0
    0|0
  • Until you make the relationship official you are both free agents who are testing the waters.

0|0
    0|0
  • Official vs not, obviously. :- )

0|0
    0|0
  • When you have decided to start dating.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if and when you two make an agreement to be exclusive -- but even then, that's probably just an oral agreement (which is not binding as a written agreement).

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes