Is a language barrier a deal breaker for you when it comes to relationships and dating?

Will you date someone who speaks in very broken English or doesn’t speak your language?

I would find it hard because I get frustrated when I can’t understand what someone is saying so that would be a deal breaker for me.

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on the level of it I guess
    If they only speak a language I don't know and vice verse it is hard to build a connection
    If there is enough for some basic communication to build on and they otherwise is a really good person then no it is not a deal breaker

1|0
    0|0
  • It wouldn't be a deal breaking problem if they were legitimately interested. Many of our forefathers in the late 19th and early 20th century United States met foreign partners who didn't speak much English yet had families.
    However, it really depends on where they're from. Europeans seem to be much more open to having a language barrier and working past it, it seems.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Even dating a person who speaks the same language as you, most times there are multiple communication problems; I can only imagine how it would be if on top of that there was a language barrier. Tough times, I guess...

1|0
    0|0
    • To be fair, people for whom English is a second language (i made that sound formal af XD) tend to have far better grammar and clear speech than native English speakers, i would assume someone with a natural communication barrier would make a greater effort to communicate than someone without that barrier.

• If they had a basic understanding of English and were VERY open to me correcting them (because i will and i do even when im trying not to. Its reflex) then sure.

But they have to be very okay with being corrected over even silly things, and i would like to not be telling them what the word for every second thing is too.

If it worked out id probably start trying to learn their language honestly, i love languages just haven't managed to stick it out to learn any beyond counting XD

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• I was really into this mexican girl a while back, I went up to her and tried telling her that she's beautiful and I like her and her friends helped translate to her what I was saying. They were like "She says Awe, thank you. You're really cute but I only speak and understand Spanish" and then she gave me a hug.. so I guess it's a deal breaker in most cases lol

1|1
    0|0
  • Its a pretty big deal
    For a fling you may get away with it. For relationship i think you need to be able to communicate

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends. Some accents and languages I find straight up irritating, some are kinda cute.
    I’m sure it would frustrating but I could probably get past it

1|0
    0|0
  • No I have a lot of friends who come from Mexico and their girlfriend only speak English which is a very interesting dynamic but yeah I don’t think it’s a deal breaker

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, robably a deal breaker. I'd need for them to be pretty fast learners because I suck at learning new languages.

1|0
    0|0
  • First upon i rarely see people who dont speak common language and but date!😐
    They say love has no language!😂
    But this is not how it takes form!😝

1|0
    0|0
  • Well it would be difficult, not because I wouldn't *want* to make it work, but it would be difficult in actuality.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would , If i could tell she was in to me and i enjoyed being with her

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes definitely. They have to either speak good English or swedish.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't care. Would be nice to learn another language. Most Mexicans I meet are cool with my broken Spanish. They just laugh at me for it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Imagine having arguments in different languages...
    Say your heart out... say mean things if you want
    And no one gets hurt...

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure. It can be hard, but context clues and visual aid helps.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you can't talk to each other it will never work. Yes it's a fucking issue wtf?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it's a deal breaker for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Difficult yes. Deal breaker? Not right away

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it can be.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. It would be difficult but doable.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Why not use tools to help you with communication?

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• I am a walking definition of a language barrier. I still established many great friendship, relationships with family, and a somewhat romantic relationship (at one point)

1|0
    0|0
  • If her/his looks were average, it would be a deal breaker

If they met my looks needs, I would hang with them and have fun teaching them words:

Kiss
    Hug
    Penis
    Vaj

Right there

Don't stop

Oh baby!

Muhahaha

1|0
    0|1
  • Yeah most likely is.
    I need someone who can engage my intellect in a relationship and if I can’t even communicate with them I don’t see how that’s possible

1|0
    0|0
    • They know English, just broken English. Why not try to learn their language too?

• Show All
    • @BaileyisDarcy none of what you’re saying is a response to anything I’ve said.
      I never talked about “other languages being easy to learn” I talked about English being easy to learn. Know the difference. The reason why I’m saying this (being natively bilingual speaking Luxembourgish & German, also speaking French, Russian, English & Dutch and knowing Latin) is because the grammar is extremely simple and the basic vocabulary is very small, meaning you only need to know a few words in English to express yourself in almost every situation. This is compared to every other language I know & having had this language debate back in boarding school with a lot of international people they mostly agreed upon English being by far one of the easiest languages to learn.

• “Actually the sign of a high iq (because thats a thing normal people care about...) Is the ability to take criticism and adapt and change and having an open mind!”

And yes, exactly.

• Communication is very important in a relationship, so I think it's very difficult to have a healthy relationship with someone who doesn't speak my language (and viceversa).

1|0
    0|0
  • If their English is bad and they don't speak my mother tongue, then it will probably be a deal breaker for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all. I always click with everyone somehow.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's hard but most people know English

1|0
    0|0
  • To be honest, it can be.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope it’s not.

1|0
    0|1
  • Yes, it is