Is a language barrier a deal breaker for you when it comes to relationships and dating?

Will you date someone who speaks in very broken English or doesn’t speak your language?

I would find it hard because I get frustrated when I can’t understand what someone is saying so that would be a deal breaker for me.

1321

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on the level of it I guess
    If they only speak a language I don't know and vice verse it is hard to build a connection
    If there is enough for some basic communication to build on and they otherwise is a really good person then no it is not a deal breaker

• It wouldn't be a deal breaking problem if they were legitimately interested. Many of our forefathers in the late 19th and early 20th century United States met foreign partners who didn't speak much English yet had families.
    However, it really depends on where they're from. Europeans seem to be much more open to having a language barrier and working past it, it seems.

Most Helpful Girls

• Even dating a person who speaks the same language as you, most times there are multiple communication problems; I can only imagine how it would be if on top of that there was a language barrier. Tough times, I guess...

• To be fair, people for whom English is a second language (i made that sound formal af XD) tend to have far better grammar and clear speech than native English speakers, i would assume someone with a natural communication barrier would make a greater effort to communicate than someone without that barrier.

• If they had a basic understanding of English and were VERY open to me correcting them (because i will and i do even when im trying not to. Its reflex) then sure.

But they have to be very okay with being corrected over even silly things, and i would like to not be telling them what the word for every second thing is too.

If it worked out id probably start trying to learn their language honestly, i love languages just haven't managed to stick it out to learn any beyond counting XD