Would you ever date someone who lives more than 6 hours away?

Let us know the reasons why you would or wouldn't below!
  • Yes
  • No

7579

Most Helpful Girls

• I wouldn't normally but if they were extremely attractive then yes I would.

• What the hell is with the down votes on this?
      She is stating she wouldn't do it unless its someone exceptional because then she is willing to make that sacrifice as she doesn't expect to find someone that good near her.
      Seems 100% logical and like something anyone should do.

• @sawno I didn't vote up or down, however, your comment response is confusing. As it is her reference to "extremely attractive", typically refers to physical appearance, maybe she means personality, but if not, that could explain the vote ratio. Either way her sentence is vague.

So with that in mind your confident assurance about her vague statement, is puzzling.

• @MScifiwriter Does it matter if its physical, mental or both? It doesn't change anything.

• I have in the past and it is VERY doable!
    The main reason long distance relationships do not seem to work is because one partner eventually wants more physical contact, which may lead to cheating on the other (unfortunately speaking from personal experience here).
    However, with technology to keep in touch (texting, calls, webcam, messenger, etc), long distance relationships are not as bad as they used to be.

I would not be opposed to a long distance relationship again, but we would have to visit each other regularly, fidelity is a must, and most importantly, there would have to be open communication between both of us!

• I agree and I'm in one. Though honestly a lack of physical touch is so mentally hard for us. We are trying to visit but so much is just in the way recently. I fully agree that fidelity is a huge must and open relationships don't work.

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes. I'm in a relationship with someone who is 10 hours away.
    It takes dedication, trust, and lots of communication. It's not for everyone. The desire to just want to see that person can sometimes be overwhelming.
    What it does allow for is getting to really know the other person. Asking questions and the ability to reveal who you really are. When you do meet up it can be like meeting someone who you have known your whole life, but in reality only a short time.
    The important thing to remember is that you can't let the fantasy of the meeting take over the reality. People are people and not characters in a movie. Things will not go according to plan, and that first hug or kiss may not happen the way you envisioned it.
    The last part is deciding who will move where if everything gets to that point. It's a monumental step, and one that should be thought of at the start. For me, I have already thought of it and know it would be easier for me to move than her. However, we haven't gotten to the point of discussing that possibility yet.
    Even with all of that, I wouldn't trade what I have for a woman next door for what I have with her.

• No, I'm not much a "pursuer" anymore for girls I haven't even dated yet. I like the ones who are "easy" to date (for me, I don't means girls who are easy in general) and spend time with.

If I fall for a girl over the dating process, then I'd be willing to put more and more effort into the relationship including being able to patiently handle some temporary distance between us if I'm already in love with her. But I can't imagine putting in such effort anymore for someone I haven't even dated yet.

When I was much younger and prone to crush on a girl and fall for the fantasy of her without getting to really know her that intimately first in advance, then I would sort of fall for a girl before I even went on a single date with her, and might have been a whole lot more patient back then. But I can't really do that anymore since I've been disappointed a lot (including after dating) when I pursued such crushes, and so I no longer fall deeply for any girl I haven't even dated yet to put up such a fuss.

• In my particular experience, that girl who is hard to get or hard to spend time with or whatever might seem, at a distance, so much better than the flirty girl next door. But I've dated the analogical version of both types and found that the flirty girl next door might make a way better girlfriend than the more difficult one to pursue. So I reached a conclusion like, "What's the point of putting in so much effort to a girl I haven't even dated yet when that pretty and flirty neighbor might make a superior girlfriend?"