Would you ever date someone who lives more than 6 hours away?

Would you ever date someone who lives more than 6 hours away?
Let us know the reasons why you would or wouldn't below!
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

4|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I wouldn't normally but if they were extremely attractive then yes I would.

4|3
    5|4
    • What the hell is with the down votes on this?
      She is stating she wouldn't do it unless its someone exceptional because then she is willing to make that sacrifice as she doesn't expect to find someone that good near her.
      Seems 100% logical and like something anyone should do.

• @sawno I didn't vote up or down, however, your comment response is confusing. As it is her reference to "extremely attractive", typically refers to physical appearance, maybe she means personality, but if not, that could explain the vote ratio. Either way her sentence is vague.

So with that in mind your confident assurance about her vague statement, is puzzling.

• @MScifiwriter Does it matter if its physical, mental or both? It doesn't change anything.

• I have in the past and it is VERY doable!
    The main reason long distance relationships do not seem to work is because one partner eventually wants more physical contact, which may lead to cheating on the other (unfortunately speaking from personal experience here).
    However, with technology to keep in touch (texting, calls, webcam, messenger, etc), long distance relationships are not as bad as they used to be.

I would not be opposed to a long distance relationship again, but we would have to visit each other regularly, fidelity is a must, and most importantly, there would have to be open communication between both of us!

1|2
    0|0
    • I agree and I'm in one. Though honestly a lack of physical touch is so mentally hard for us. We are trying to visit but so much is just in the way recently. I fully agree that fidelity is a huge must and open relationships don't work.

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes. I'm in a relationship with someone who is 10 hours away.
    It takes dedication, trust, and lots of communication. It's not for everyone. The desire to just want to see that person can sometimes be overwhelming.
    What it does allow for is getting to really know the other person. Asking questions and the ability to reveal who you really are. When you do meet up it can be like meeting someone who you have known your whole life, but in reality only a short time.
    The important thing to remember is that you can't let the fantasy of the meeting take over the reality. People are people and not characters in a movie. Things will not go according to plan, and that first hug or kiss may not happen the way you envisioned it.
    The last part is deciding who will move where if everything gets to that point. It's a monumental step, and one that should be thought of at the start. For me, I have already thought of it and know it would be easier for me to move than her. However, we haven't gotten to the point of discussing that possibility yet.
    Even with all of that, I wouldn't trade what I have for a woman next door for what I have with her.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I'm not much a "pursuer" anymore for girls I haven't even dated yet. I like the ones who are "easy" to date (for me, I don't means girls who are easy in general) and spend time with.

If I fall for a girl over the dating process, then I'd be willing to put more and more effort into the relationship including being able to patiently handle some temporary distance between us if I'm already in love with her. But I can't imagine putting in such effort anymore for someone I haven't even dated yet.

When I was much younger and prone to crush on a girl and fall for the fantasy of her without getting to really know her that intimately first in advance, then I would sort of fall for a girl before I even went on a single date with her, and might have been a whole lot more patient back then. But I can't really do that anymore since I've been disappointed a lot (including after dating) when I pursued such crushes, and so I no longer fall deeply for any girl I haven't even dated yet to put up such a fuss.

0|0
    0|0
    • In my particular experience, that girl who is hard to get or hard to spend time with or whatever might seem, at a distance, so much better than the flirty girl next door. But I've dated the analogical version of both types and found that the flirty girl next door might make a way better girlfriend than the more difficult one to pursue. So I reached a conclusion like, "What's the point of putting in so much effort to a girl I haven't even dated yet when that pretty and flirty neighbor might make a superior girlfriend?"

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 73

• I would but he would have to be very special and I would want to marry this guy. I did a long distance when I was younger, and i learned a lot. mostly, don't do long distance unless you are 100% sure that you want to be with this person for the rest of your life, cause otherwise the nights are long and cold and it ain't worth it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I dated someone that was 2 hours away by plane and he cheated on me. I feel like you’d have to have so much trust- also you would need to meet up very regularly. People can be so unloyal, there’s no point wasting your time (obviously some couples are fine).

0|0
    0|0
  • Been through that due to going to diffrent universities. It lasted as we visited eachother sadh weekend till he then went abroad to Australia, that's when it just crumbled.

Long distance is a hard commitment, unless there's a strong foundation made by the two, it's not something I reccomend.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah true its really difficult and the love has to be real and true
      There's got to be trust and other things as well.. Find someone close me aunt would always tell me.. Yup ur right auntie now I believe you.

• I had a thing with an Aussie guy once, he had to wake up early and I had to stay up late to have a conversation. We ended it after around 2 month but it was 2 to 3 hours a day of joy talking to him.

2|1
    0|0
  • You are talking about a 12 hour trip at least to see someone by car. We are talking a lot of time and expense. Wouldn't seem worth it to me. It would be different if you were married but for me, not in a dating situation.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would ask a question here also. Would you date someone who does not live that far, maybe like 1 hr top due to bad traffic it could be less like 45 minutes but just one of them have a car, so the one who has not a ca has to commute eithr by taxi or bus in order to see the other person. Would you date that person?

0|1
    0|0
    • As the one without a car no

• Show All
    • @Canadaman99 That is what I said what happen if the lady you u want to date just one of them has the car not the other one but the ditance between where the other person lives is much much less tan 6 hrs is just like 1 hr

• An hour by car is too far by transit lmao, 20min by car here is like 3.5hrs by bus

• Yes I lived in wa state and I had an ldr with my boyfriend who lived in tn.
    And we started living together
    And we still are
    But. Currently I am in ms visiting my family and my boyfriend is in tn.
    And so yeah we r having another LDR. As well
    But yes it doessnt matter how far they live at what matters is how much y'all truly love each other and how y'all relationship will land can go and so much more.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I dated them before they moved, then yeah! No reason to stop a great relationship because he moved.

1|1
    0|0
  • I currently am dating a guy who lives 7 hours away from me, we're considering of getting in a relationship.. Its very difficult because our lives are busy and I just dont know what to do about the whole story.. It's such a difficult situation honesly, he's very sexy and we have pretty good communication (even though at times he acts a little immature). . But the whole distance thing is just tearing me apart every single day... Maybe I should make a question about that myself

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes my husband and I did but only for a short time before we moved together. Plan on moving to the same location within a few months if you're serious.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve thought about it. I don’t think I would have the time or money to go visit them. I’m not in a good financial situation right now so not being able to see them would suck. I would have to date someone who lives in my city so nearby it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Love conquers any distance. I'm sure there are many lovers out there who see 6 hours as a mere trifle.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, and have done. But I was also travelling all the time for work so less of a big deal. Two birds one stone sort of thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • i have before, but we never met.. the guy i started falling for a couple months ago lived like 2 hours away but he got into some trouble and he didn't like me that way

0|0
    0|0
  • If only it Had been this Easy Years ago with a Muslim Man Whom I Had Married... Thousands and Thousands of Miles from Home. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • I would if I loved him I honestly would if he were around the world. Otherwise if he’s just a guy I know I don’t see the point

0|0
    0|0
  • No I wouldn't. I know I would want my s/o there with me physically

0|1
    0|0
  • If we have a really good connection and are both ready to put in the work to stay in touch and plan visits, then yes, I'd give it a shot.

0|1
    0|0
  • Only if it was temporary and we had established a relationship before he moved away. Anything else would pathetic on my part.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, some people are just worth it. 😊
    I rather have a loving man who's far, than a cold man who's near.

You just need to have an end goal when to be finally together.

0|0
    0|0
  • Long distance dates are love killers. Even if you meet half way, that still is 3 hours travel each. Furthermore, we don't know if the 6 hours travel time is by plane or by car. That could be a Transatlantic love.

Is love strong enough on the long run to withstand the distance and the occasional dates, perhaps 2 or 3 times a year? I honestly my doubt. For real love, nothing is impossible but it is coupled with lots of sacrifices. Is everyone ready for such sacrifices?

Finally, think of the environment if you need to travel abroad just to date your loved one ;-)

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm dating someone who lives 3 hours away but the bus I take to see him takes 5 but in the end it's definitely worth it

0|0
    0|0
    • Wow really my ex was 4 hours away by car obviously the buses would take longer.. We broke up after a year and she basically just gave up oh and she met a guy like 1000 miles away so yeah good luck L. C.

• Oops a guy who lives 1000 miles away...

• Fun to travel, also i don't live inside a glass dome lol. Tere is actually a eorld full of people out there guys lol. 😊 😸 🙃

0|1
    0|0
  • Whether it's 6 hours by aircraft or by road travel, no.

0|1
    0|0
  • Been there, done that. Drove 12 hours roundtrip 3 times a month for about 6 months. Turns out he was just cheating.
    This happened to me with 3 guys.

0|1
    0|0
  • It has been done many times in dating and having a relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would not only because I have trust issues. Otherwise, I’d definitely give it a shot.

2|0
    0|0
  • I was pretty much with someone 3x that distance. He was on a whole other continent.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd rather not. But if I'm really that in love & very sure that we're suited for each other then love is just another number.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only if I really love them and know that I can eventually live in the same city as them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 77

• I wish my girlfriend only lived 6 hours away. Yes, I'd do it because that's doable- can see her every weekend.

0|3
    0|0
  • I’ve tried this a couple times and long distance never works. Even with today’s technology of being able to text and FaceTime it’s still difficult. If the person was long distant and only away for a short period it could work. But if they lived there indefinitely without a finite plan to return I don’t see how it could work.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah ur right because it didn't work out with this girl and I
      After one year and it was only 4 hours drive.
      But I really think she just gave up.. true love would of worked in my opinion

• If I knew a girl was that far away I would still want to date her just as much as any other girl - If I enjoyed being with her, then I would want to keep dating her. It would mean dealing with distance issues, but knowing that I enjoyed her company, That would make it worth it.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, what would be the point of that? You're not really dating you're just chatting online. Occasional visits are not enough to sustain a healthy relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • I did, didn't think I'd every do that. We dated for 2 years. It can actually be fun and make things exciting as going to new places a lot. Get time apart and space is good for me. but...

down side
    There are challenges... like if they need you (or you need them), hard to drop life and run to them... vs if they are close
    expensive
    time consuming... hard to maintain...
    really have to work on trust and communication. communication over phone/text is not ideal
    mis a lot of time together

0|0
    0|0
  • For the right woman, I absolutely would. But in order for the relationship to be lasting and for us to strengthen our bonds, one of us would have to move to be with each other. I'd make that sacrifice if it is for true love.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are we talking drive or flight?
    It would be difficult. You could communicate daily by video chat but tihe together would he everyother week at best (assuming you're driving in an economic car, otherwise would get expensive. Flying maybe once a month/ every 6 weeks) its not impossible but not preferred. Within 2 hours drive would be better.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had an ex-gf move to another state and we tried to date after a few years. Was expensive as I would fly in and we would spend vacations doing things together. I am not a fan of LDRs and would prefer to date someone closer to where I live.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dating someone far away would add another dimension to friendships and would keep things interesting due to the long periods of not being together. Also if a friends with benefits or nsa relationship is in progress it would help to have the relationship last much longer than having someone closer.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did yes. Actually exactly 6 hours away drive hahah. Plane is a different story. Cause a 6 hour flight is pretty much half way the opposite end almost. That’s too far
    But if we were planning to get married Then yes because then it’s just temporary

0|0
    0|0
  • only if there was an endgame.
    Like if I knew we could live together after 12months or something then I would try it. But if it was just dating with no direction, then I wouldn't bother.

0|0
    0|0
  • Already in this situation! When my girlfriend and I started dating, we were both in Scotland together. The very next day, I flew back home to Australia and we did long distance for three months right off the bat before she flew down under. 28 hour flight between the two.

0|0
    0|0
  • From now on they will have to live a minimum of 6 hours away before I date them. Maybe I'm just through with dating tossing in the towel. I'm pretty sure that my chick picker is broken.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve done this and it’s miserable. I would never do it again willingly, but if I had a partner who had to move for personal reasons I’d continue the relationship and make sacrifices for them as necessary.

0|0
    0|0
  • Before I got married. I used to travel 400km by road every single week for 3 plus years to spend a few hours with my favourite gal.

0|1
    0|0
    • Wow ur lucky or you found a real true love congrats sir..

• Yes i would cause really 6 hours is not bad at all
    My Great Uncle & Aunt live in Fairless Hills Pa not
    far from Philly Pa. It takes them 6 hours to drive
    from where they live to back home. So it's not all
    that far away.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Long distance relationships really don't work out that well, if ever at all. Unless she (or I am) is very wealthy (or wealthy enough) and can afford the transportation to and from, I don't see it working out - even if we had great chemistry.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd only date someone if I could see them at least once a week until we moved in together--so no, absolutely not.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would, I think if two people love each other they find a way to make it work. I know a few people who've left the country for love.

1|0
    0|0
  • When I am truly in love with someone, I find it difficult letting them go, even when the they are far away, in my heart they are very close, so for me it's a possibility

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, would give a try. Provided of both knows the effects of LDR and what is required. Being mature and responsible otherwise it's highly it wouldn't work

0|1
    0|0
  • I used to think I wouldn't.
    But I guess some people can be that special.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not. I work roughly 60hrs/week on a night shift. I don’t have the time or energy for dating outside of a 15 miles.

0|0
    0|0
  • I voted yes but I would rather say maybe it depends on the circumstances and if it is realistic that the distance would change in time

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never heard of a long distance relationship that didn't end up falling apart.

0|0
    0|0
  • She lived four hours away until I found out she was a scammer, from Russia. Yes, no more.

0|0
    0|0
  • It would be incredibly difficult since I don't make enough money to stop working for more than a single day.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you truly love someone, don’t let distance be the problem why you can’t embrace eachother.

0|0
    0|0
  • To be honest i'm not sure, i've been in a LDR with 4 hours of car driving distance and it has been quite tough.

0|1
    0|0
  • @thevampire_queen at least you're close now by plane

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes