What do you mean when you say "we are taking things real slow!"?

I guess that
I guess that "going slow" means different things to different people
I recently saw a post which said "we are taking things really slow. . . we’ve been talking 5 months. . . having sex since we met. . . but he still says for me to just wait. . . he doesn’t want a relationship right now." This user was an adult and I thought she must be incredibly naive to think that this constitutes "taking things real slow."

I guess she thinks that this "taking it slow" because they are not making an emotional commitment, but. . . to me, taking things slow means not jumping into a sexual relationship. In my experience, if a person is serious about dating - not just looking for casual sex - it is the act of having sex that makes the relationship move to a more serious level of commitment.

What does "taking things real slow" mean to you?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 13

• What she said sounds like friends with benefits relationship, not exactly what I would call "taking it slow"

Taking it slow means you need to get to know person more. Make emotional connection before sleeping with them. It can take you months or even years to finally be okay with having sex with them and getting committed to them.

0|3
    0|1
  • When I hear this I hear:
    One of us likes the other but not enough that he/she is waiting for a better match.

Usually one of the of them feels this way while the other is wondering why they are waiting.

If it was someone you are truly compatible with something just clicks. It feels right. You feel energized by their presence. You won't feel the need to wait. You don't really think about the relationship as it unfolds naturally

0|2
    0|0
  • To me it means to take your time to get to know the person before you get into a relationship, really figure out who your interested in before you commit

2|3
    0|0
  • For me? If I say I want to take things slow, it means I want to get to know the guy before things get too serious (a committed relationship), or we have sex together.

Which I guess I should mention, I think taking things slow is a GOOD thing. It gives you a chance to really get to know the other person, their personality and what they expect from you and vice versa. Nowadays, everyone's so quick to jump into bed, you don't know the other person.
    A few months ago, I was with a guy that thought it was okay to sleep with me after ONE meeting! Just... NO. I asked him why would you want to be with someone you barely know.

But then I guess I'm more on the "old school" side of dating or being with someone- I rather know someone and be committed to them before having sex with them, or saying we're a couple.

1|1
    0|0
  • First things first - that is called being fuckbuddies rather than taking things slow.
    My interpretation of taking things slow is taking time to getting to know the other person before committing to them. But it doesn't involve having sex with them.

0|1
    0|0
  • To me "taking things slow" means being not becoming intimate with someone too early, and it's a good thing bc it means you're being careful about this relationship and want to figure out if it can work out long term.

0|1
    0|0
  • Taking things slow mean not to invest yourself, emotional into a relation. And obviously the physical stuff comes slowly to.
    If we're having sex since day one, we're not taking it slow

0|0
    0|0
  • Taking things slow for me it means not having sex until we're very sure about what we mean to each other.

0|1
    0|0
  • He don’t wanna rush at all into a relationship take the time and get to know each other

0|1
    0|0
  • Haha those tortoises tho lmao 💦💦🍆🍆↪🍑 🐢🐢

0|3
    0|0
    • 6d

I always try to select images that illustrate, in a humorous way, the point of what I have written. I suppose that images of elephants mating would have been appropriate, but I found these first.

• 6d

Haha that was golden XD Good findd

• don't push me

0|2
    0|0
  • It’s means they are not ready but still likes you

0|1
    0|0
  • In this case it’s his way of saying I don’t want to be with you. But I’m going to make you think there’s hope by saying “we’re taking things slow.” Just to waste her time

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• When I met my wife we dated by the month; then on the weekends for at least 6 months. We gradually started talking more on the phone. No sex before we got married. We never did ask the other to stop seeing other people. I took the outlook that if she likes me that well, she'll stay with me by her own omission.

1|1
    0|0
  • It means the guy wants to continue using her as a masturbatory tool.

And that modern gender relations and dating culture are so god-awful that noone -- men or women -- have reasonable boundaries anymore.

0|2
    0|0
  • When I hear "taking it slow", I think holding hands and the occasional kiss. Not sex. That sounds like an friends with benefits where she isn't thinking correctly. She should know that it's not a relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • Taking it slow.. watching paint dry.. my hair turns grey faster before someone makes a move

0|1
    0|0
  • no sex, get to know each other a component at a time
    Sex
    who you are
    what you believe
    what you like
    family/kids
    religion, etc..

0|1
    0|0
  • Taking slow by her view is funny!😂😂😂

Taking slow literally means going slowly with everything in between. No rush, no quick.
    The more time it takes to build, the more strong it tends to be.

1|0
    0|0
  • Taking it slow means not jumping into bed together until you know each other.

1|1
    0|0
  • OlderAndWiser-it’s a stalling technique for a woman to relegate a man to the friend zone or make him Plan B.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah slow, she got no idea what she is talking about, she is getting screwed in multiple ways.

0|1
    0|0
  • It means move on she's not interested in you that way

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s a code phrase for “I’m wasting your time”.

1|3
    0|0
  • Not wanting to be married so quickly

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes