Have you ever been someone's Plan B?

Not a title that anyone wants to have!
Not a title that anyone wants to have!
Have you ever been someone's Plan B? You know, they are in a relationship with someone else but it has problems and they seem to be showing interest in you, like they are already thinking, if their current relationship doesn't work out, they have planned who they want to date next: you.

Could starting out knowing that you had been their Plan B ever lead to a happy relationship? I don't see how that could work but I've never had the experience. Have you? Have you ever started a relationship knowing that you were your partner's Plan B? How did it work out?
  • I have never been anyone's anything!
  • I am not aware of ever being someone's Plan B
  • I have been someone's Plan B and they eventually suggested we date but I declined
    Vote C
  • I have been someone's Plan B and we eventually dated but it didn't work very well
    Vote D
  • I have been someone's Plan B and we eventually dated. It was okay but it didn't last.
    Vote E
  • I have been someone's Plan B, we eventually dated, and it was a great relationship
    Vote F
  • I have been someone's Plan B, we eventually dated, and we are still together/married
    Vote G

1222

Most Helpful Girls

• I do not think my ego could take me knowing that I was Plan B. That does not mean that I have never not been a person's plan B. Did it work out, being a person's plan B?

Probably not. It is not often that it works out being a person's plan A so being their B plan, whether you know you are B or not, has to definitely have worst odds, I expect...

• Oh my God, the first part is literally my situation with my ex best friend.
    My issue wasn't that he said to me that he would date me if he weren't with her.
    My issue is that at one point he said he wants me, then went back to her, but kept contacting me whenever they had a fight and she always blamed me for their fights even though I stayed out of their life.

After a looong time (1 year and a half to be specific) he broke up with her and immediately told me he regrets not choosing me blah blah. I was finally awake and realized i was a plan B, so I made the choice to decline and end it all. The thought "oh, she was this and that, I am this and that" was always ringing in the back of my head. I still have the smallest regret that things turned out this way, but it really was the best decision I made.

So after all of this, I would never accept being someone's plan B ever again. No one should.

Most Helpful Guys

• I am/was someone's plan B for a long time. She is always dating someone new, and I am always the one to pick up all the pieces and put them back together. We tried dating one time, and it just turned into a mess. It was alright at first, but just never really worked. I think that now it could work since we are close enough to see each other all the time. (We were both living long distance when we decided to make it something official the first time around.) Although, I don't know that we ever will because we are both very concerned over losing each other again, and would rather remain best friends than nothing at all.

• Yes, I have been Plan B. However, I didn't indulge that idea. I went out with women and maintained an active social life outside of her. When she and the boyfriend were on the rocks, she would appear. Sometimes I was involved with someone and couldn't spare much attention. Eventually we got to a place where I wasn't seeing anyone when they split, so I started seeing her. I made her wait a year before I was willing to commit to anything. We had 3 years as a couple. It was often rocky and I thought many times she was entertaining other options. I ended up being the one that ended it. I just couldn't trust her judgement and I resented being the "back up guy".