I had a first date last night, and I want a second one. What do I do now?

I'm 28, he's 35. I liked him a lot but I'm scared he didn't like me. We stayed out for 2 1/2 hours talking and it was fun. He kept saying I could order whatever I wanted though we just ended up splitting a pizza (I don't really like spending a guys money a lot, especially on the first date just to be courteous when he's paying). We left, he asked for a hug, and I gave him one. I asked him if he wanted to do it again sometime and he said he did, but I think there was a hesitation. I told him he could text me tomorrow (which is now today). I also text him last night this:

Me: Hey, I really enjoyed going out tonight with you. Good night! I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Him: You too, sleep well!

I'm not sure if he really wants to see me again or if I should text him. Should he text me first? I don't really know what I should be doing. I never get a second date the rare times I get a first one, and I'm not sure if he genuinely liked the time we spent together so I'm confused on what's supposed to happen now. I don't want to sound desperate but I also don't want him thinking I wasn't really interested when I was. Him being 35 makes it more difficult because I feel most guys his age are past game playing and I've never really been one to play games like this but I also have a tendency to ruin things pretty fast because I end up doing all the work talking to someone, and I don't want to drive him away. We don't have plans yet, but we also haven't spoken since the text I sent last night at 9:30pm. It's now 11:50am where I live. Do I wait a couple days or should I just wait for him to contact me first? I kinda told him to text me first but then the message I sent last night sounds like I implied I would talk to him first.
I texted him and he called me back. He said he felt bad leading me on but that there was no chemistry and that he’d go out with me again if I really wanted him to like I’m some charity case. So that was a waste of time. Again.

1022

Most Helpful Guys

• I have a few comments in no particular order:

- Trust your gut: twice in your opening paragraph you predicted no 2nd date "I'm scared he didn't like me" & "I think there was a hesitation"
    That was your guy sensing his lack of chemistry.

- Order you own food: Don't ever feel badly about a guy treating you on a 1st date, that's our job. You are the prize and it's our opportunity to woo you, show that we can take care of you. By not choosing something and worrying about "spending a guys money a lot" it may send the wrong signal to your date. Just know going into it he is prepared to spend money and it's your job to enjoy yourself and feel like he I treating you.

- Be open to a kiss on Date #1: I also didn't used to kiss on the 1st date out of respect for the woman as I didn't want to signal I just cared about the physical. But it's 2019 and it is acceptable these days to kiss someone especially because there is usually some communication online before the 1st date and it can help judge if chemistry is felt. Obviously I agree no sex on date #1 but if you feel it go for the kiss or do whatever magic you ladies do that makes a guy want to kiss you.

- Dating isn't a waste of time: I know what it feels like to have a dozen 1st dates and the rejected feeling they can come with. But you probably know the experience is never a waste of time. Be sure to reflect on the night and find a lesson, something you learned about yourself or something about him you either desire or would be a red flag in your next relationship. If you see dates as wastes of time it will be hard to match to someone eventually without this experience. I applaud you going on the date and good job getting closure, most people don't.

• You said that you'd talk to him the next day; so you should talk to him the next day. Leaving it a few days to see if he texts first is (a) playing games which every guy hates, and (b) going back on something you said even when it's something you want to do and takes mere seconds.

• she told him he could texr her the next day though and being the guy she should allow herself to be courted and not make the "guy moves"

• @mialimil

"Me: Hey, I really enjoyed going out tonight with you. Good night! I'll talk to you tomorrow."

You say things like "if they want something they go for it" - well, women have agency too; they should likewise go for what they want.

Sitting back and expecting men to chase is how men get the impression you aren't actually interested; especially if you're telling her to refrain from doing as little as initiating a text exchange.

It seems in this case he wasn't interested, though.

• if he cares enough he'll put himself out there. I've seen when a guy is interested and they never leave you wondering, you always know. And apparently you didn't read closely before leaving she told him he could text her the next day, fyi never say that to a guy. If he wants to, he WILL text without you telling him to.

Most Helpful Girls

• Good you gave an update it’s ok it was like passing time off from your work. That’s all you can take in your stride and he’s given you honesty but that word stings. Sometimes it’s not about looks it’s the pheromones. You can’t control that it just exists.

• He wasn’t really honesty because I asked if he wanted to go out again and he said yes. Then he called and told me he actually didn’t really want to.

• Forget him Allie I hate such guys I had a recent experience. He hurt your feelings and you have personal pride too. You can spend time pampering yourself and feel like a gem. Let them try to impress you even if you wear smile.

• Be patient; it's still early in the day. Unless in the past he's texted or spoke to you that early in the morning, give him some time. However, I don't see the issue with you texting him a "Good morning or good afternoon" text, let him know you had a really good time last night, and hope to meet up with him again sometime. Basically keep it simple and courteous.

There is nothing needy, desperate, or bad about that. If anything, it lets him know you're interested in him and you do want to see him again.

Now if he doesn't reply to your text today- then I'd be getting some red flags from him and back off or wait for him to reply to you.