What are the rules for friends with benefits?

I’ve been in a friends with benefits relationship for the past year and a half. At first, he was pretty clear that no feelings were involved. But recently he told me he loves me and that I was one of his best friends.

He is in an open relationship with a woman he lives with. She knows about me and we get along great. He and I hook up at least three times a week and sometimes we hang out a bit.

Last week he told me that he was going on a date with a woman he met. This kind of rubbed me the wrong way because we don’t go out and he’s always complaining about not having money. In fact, I often cook for us when we are together (I make more than he does). Then he proceeded to tell me they had sex and hung out until late the next day. They also went out this weekend. I did not ask for this information, mind you.

He doesn’t understand why am upset about this since his main relationship doesn’t bother me. This just feels different and I can’t explain why. We’ve argued about it for the past week. And I just want to stop talking about it but I can’t get over my feelings. I told him to please stop telling me about his dates with this woman but he feels like as one of his best friends, he should be able to talk about it. We also go to sex parties together and I’ve been in threesomes with him. And that also doesn’t bother me.

I hope someone can give me some insight. Am I being unreasonable? Is he being selfish?
4d
Hi everyone,
I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond! There are so many different perspectives - It really helped me see things from his point of view.
I believe him when he tells me I’m an important part of his life and that he loves me. He just doesn’t think sex with someone else changes that.
I’m not ready to toss him out but I’m going to insist that he spare me the details. If he can’t stop, then there is no hope.
2d
Update 2: I realized after much reflection that I let my guard down to far with him. I got sucked into the words he was telling to me and started to believe it meant something. This made me realize it didn’t.
I’m trying to put my guard up a little bit but he keeps asking me what’s wrong. I’m just trying to stop myself from getting hurt. I know he doesn’t want, things to change but they have for me, At least until I figure all this out.

2725