Shall I cancel our tentative date?

I've been texting with a guy for a few weeks. The conversations were okay.
However, he cancelled 2-3 dates at the beginning. It seems that he had legitimate reasons. Initially, he cancelled the third date, but was able to make it in the end because his work obligations fell through (it's the truth). We talked in his car and he got very touchy. Afterwards, he drove me home.
We were having plans a few days later, but he texted in the morning to cancel due to illness. He didn't reschedule as before but told me he would let me know. I told him that I would be free on Wednesday and he said that he would let me know in the morning. To be honest, I want to meet up, but I don't want to be a fool either. I am tempted to cancel the date myself as he cancelled so many times before and I feel that he is not in the mood to meet up. We are still texting, but it feels different. What should I do?

01