Do you believe ALPHA and BETA males exist?

Could they both be Alpha?
Could they both be Alpha?
  • YES
    Vote A
  • NO
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Super close battle! Do they exist or not? We shall see!

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• Why do so many people still believe in this pseudoscientific nonsense? Even the scientists who first coined those terms abandonded them already because they eventually realized it's over-simplified bullshit that doesn't apply to humans.

This isn't even a matter of opinion. It's factually incorrect. 50% of the people wwho voted here are just misinformed or willfully ignorant.

0|3
    0|1
    • Unfortunately facts don't matter because sometimes once you pop the Genie out of the bottle you can't get him back in. You can say these two terms were dismissed or abandoned but they are entwined into our culture like it or not. Dominate or Submissive, leader and follower, etc etc.. many are just thinking in those terms when they see Alpha and Beta. That is why the poll is so close.. not because they are ignorant it' because they are comparing it to what they know.

• Show All
    • Thanks.

• I think that the Betas are the insecure men who are shitty and treat people badly. Whilst the Alphas are the confident, nice and funny men who feel no need to treat people badly cos theyre confident in themselves.
    I see A LOT of Beta men trying to act Alpha, but its so cringey

1|2
    0|0
    • Im actually really nice to girls but Im a beta.. Im just really submissive, you make it sound like we’re all bad 😂

• Show All
    • Or a Gamma man... who gives off poisonous radiation 😂😂

• Cheers.. And how about a insecure female turned lesbo and teaching other females to follow her.

Most Helpful Guys

• This to me is a classification of people whic his simplistic, but generally works. It speaks to the emotional strength primarily of two diff groups. There may be aspects of social competence within a domain in there as well.
    I wouldn't go too far with it, it's a model.

0|1
    0|0
  • Shit... Corey Haim's characters from his 80's movies would be labeled as Alpha misogynistic nowadays Coach..😒😒

0|1
    0|0
    • Maybe Matt Dillon in the 80's but Corey Haim in my opinion was never Alpha! Especially in LOST BOYS HA

• Show All
    • I was good when AOL chat was out there and got better when Online Dating came out so why not help others. Thanks for the nice words!

• You're doing solid brother! Tough interpersonal times we're living in. You're a better man than me, that's for sure. Just keep at it eh?🤔

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Oh they do especially in gaming you will find them. Not so much in daily life. I play all types of games from battlefield to cod to indie games like seven days to die. You’ll get dudes that come into a lobby and try to one up other males to win the affection of females in the lobby. Men are very competitive not only in the gaming life style but also you’ll find them sometimes in daily life. Alpha males love to travel in packs , usually find this in guys in high school or college hanging around bars , football games , anything that suits their interest as well as picking up girls. It’s kind of like mean girls. Regina is top dog and then she’s got her two side kicks Gretchen and I forgot the other chicks name , but basically they believe they are the best and will do anything to stay on top of the totem pole. Their ultimate goal is to basically see who is the best at impressing the ladies and the other guys will follow along. The betas are either too scared to leave or just want to follow behind and pick up the left overs.

0|2
    0|0
  • No, not in human beings. Our social structures are a little too complex for this theory.

4|6
    0|0
    • I agree, I think there are certain 'alpha' traits and certain 'beta' traits and people may have a mixture of these traits and may lean towards one end, but we are far too complex to label someone as 'alpha' or 'beta'.

• I believe there are type A personalities and type B personalities, but neither one is any better than the other. It is just that in our modern society extroverts and type As are celebrated far more. There was a time when character mattered more than personality. Rather than values being of prime importance, they are seen as an afterthought to how someone sells themselves. It is one of the reasons people put such a high-value on confidence, but a person can be confident that they are right but be completely wrong.

Now ideas matter less than how we sell them. So many people get bored far too easily and are discontented. They pair up with others for all the wrong reasons. It is now considered a given that a person should have good character as if it is the bare minimum. However, there are lots of people out there with bad character, and some of them sell themselves so well you will never know until it is too late.

Since when did it become in vogue to desire the shiny bow rather than the gift that endures. Since when is it expected that a person knows for sure that the apple of their eye sees them in the same light?

In a modern society that values self-empowerment and self-direction, why it is preferable to be led rather than having an equal voice? Why do so many women say they want their men to relinquish control and be more attentive to their needs, but get turned off by that very behavior? Since when has reliability become boring, sacrifice considered a weakness, persistence viewed as desperation, love seen as a liability?

Self-proclaimed alphas, for all of their bravado, are just as insecure as the rest of us. They just hide their weaknesses behind a veneer and seek control to manage their uncertainty.

However, there are some men (and women) who refused to be labeled. They are the true rebels, the people who you cannot put into a box. They are leaders, but also followers. Soft, but also firm. Gentle, but also strong. In reality, we all are. We all have this within us and the potential to have it fostered, and we can bring it out in one another if encouraged. We are all no better or worse than one another, but somewhere along the way, we were sold this lie that there are those of us who are superior. That meekness and understanding is giving up one's own power, when it is far more courageous to be vulnerable and submit to each other.

Whether you think you are alpha or beta, or somewhere in between, our value is not in what we take, it is in what we give. So the real question when considering who you are should not be whether you are in control or whether you relinquish it -- the real question is, what do you have to give?

0|1
    0|0
  • David Mech, the author who came out with the concept of alpha males, in particular for wolf packs, later in 1999 rejected the idea himself after studying wolves in the wild vs the original study which was focused on captive wolves. So no, there is no such thing as alpha and beta males.

0|1
    1|3
    • Because David Mech said so? Okay.

• Show All
    • Yes. Thanks for the comment.

• Rudolph Schenkel came up with the concept, not David Mech. Mech simply provided supporting evidence and popularized the idea.

And later, Mech didn't outright reject the concept of an alpha male in a wolf pack - he simply refined his definition of what it meant to be "alpha". The concept is still valid, and still applies to wolves, but nowadays researchers have a different archetype of what it means to be the alpha. It's more akin to a father or paternal figure than the most outwardly aggressive/strong/leaderful member of the pack.

Also, the concept of an alpha male isn't limited to wolves. Whereas we don't think of an "alpha male" in a wolf pack as being anything other than the head of a family, in other species there is a very well defined social hierarchy with an alpha male at the top that is similar to what a lot of people here on GAG suppose an alpha male is supposed to be. Chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, lions and deer to name a few.

All that said, it doesn't mean this archetype exists in human society. Perhaps it does at a very superficial level but the concept quickly falls apart due to our extremely complex social structures.

• Yes.

People love to say "no, this is ridiculous", but those same people tend to use the phrase "be a real man" at the same time.

As long as it is acceptable in society to have this level of expectation that men must act and react a certain way as well as be accomplished in a certain way (without there really being a female equivalent) in order to actually be respected or be attractive, then that dichotomy can be pretty well summed up with the idea of alpha and beta males.

1|2
    1|0
    • To add... I feel those who are flat out against the terms probably would believe in them if we changed up the wording and terms a bit.

Even if this loses accuracy...

Alpha - the guys girls find sexually attractive and want to fuck

Beta - the guys girls find who are "safe" and would be a good provider for family and children (which wouldn't necessarily be sexually attractive to said girls)

In most manospherian debates where its used unironically, it's used this in this kind of way.

• I believe they exist, although it's not binary like that. There is a pecking order like with any other animal. But the way it's been portrayed in recent years is that some over aggressive muscle head is alpha, when alpha doesn't have a thing to do with that. Or as I usually say, if someone says they are alpha, they probably aren't.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. It's stupid. Something only cocky insecure guys use to feel better about themselves.

1|5
    0|0
    • Ouchy wouchy.. . okay !

• Show All
    • Confident and cocky are not the same thing. They're "projecting". Some insecure people act like that because it makes them feel less bad about themselves.

• I know. I see, fair enough

• Here's an idea... How about you just do you and not worry about this alpha beta crap.. Too many people put stock in what other people who dont even matter think about them that you end up with dumb ideas like this

0|1
    0|0
    • Yes sir... sorry to offend you.

• Not even offense its just people worry about what other people think so much now days they are quick to label themselves and others with toxic stuff like this and it's sickening

• Thanks for the comments.

• If you say it with the label dominate and inferior then yes... Although its not about whos stronger in this social system. It's many things, your confidences, bank balance, humour, looks, skills.. It will change depending on who you are asking.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, but there is a middle ground. It is rare to find someone that has only qyalities of one. Most men are in between. So it is hard to put someone in1 out of 2 categories. It is best for you to strive to be the best version of yourself, which would mean to have both qualities of alpha and beta for both men and women.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it's more complicated than what people think.
    It's not just about physical stature.
    It's more to do with personality, intelligence, confidence and capability.
    I know some big guys who are not strong mentally and can be easily intimidated, controlled and dominated by other men.
    It's more than just physical if you really get into it.

0|1
    0|0
  • There may be some truth in it, but its validity is doubtful because it is an oversimplification of personality traits.

Even if it is valid, I think those who are dubbed alphas and betas are at the extreme ends of the bell curve, where both would make up less than 5% of the population.

Ultimately, I doubt really know. It's all speculation on my part.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. That alpha and beta bullshit was nothing more then a theory about wolfes. And even this got debunked.

1|5
    0|0
  • Everyone has their part in life and a lot of alpha males are only physically largee but sport no useful qualities beyond their size. Also, who doesn't love an underdog, assuming "beta" men are underdogs if there are beta and alpha males outside of the other animals.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, as any social construct would.

If people have a way to categorize others they will.

I think to be fair, very few people falls squarely into either extreme.

But there is this elaborate chart thingy I found.

0|0
    1|0
  • Not really but it is a first approximation and serves the purpose of what it tries to communicate at general level. When it comes to this subject it is indeed a "spectrum: There are many traits that determine hierarchies, some people have these traits developed at different levels which may let them achieve primacy in some areas but not others.

0|2
    0|0
  • No it’s a stupid way guys try to compete with each other. Yet y’all say females are the ones that are always in competition with each other

0|1
    0|0
    • I think men and women have Alphas and Betas to be honest. Which one are you?

• Ok well I don’t think so. What would make a guy/girl an Alpha?

• fair enough... I am not here to convince you of anything so.. I appreciate the comment and the participation.

• Yea, but the males who think being a meathead arrogant dick is “alpha” are not. “Bros” are NOT alpha.

Alpha males are males who know what it is to be a man, take pride in hard work, take care of their health, take care of their family, and are polite and respectful. But can take care if business if need be.

Betas are the desperate pathetic lap dog males who will do anything or say anything to try and make a female like them.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not in the slightest.

However there are males out there, who (actively or passively) attract a swarm of women while more males, who despite doing their best can hardly attract even just one.

I would much prefer using "womanizer" or "heartthrob" (like Christian Grey, F-ckboys, playas...), "winner" (like Celebrities, Brad Pitt?), "average" (Most of us guys) and "loser" (A major amount of males) males/females instead.

There simply are no "alpha" or "beta" males/females.

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course they do. You really think I'm a beta-orbiter? LOL
    Your picture says it all.
    Perhaps this would explain it better for you:
    thepopularman.com/.../

0|1
    0|0
  • Given the research which came up with the whole alpha wolf idea was dismissed by the guy who made it up in the first place, I'd say it was an obsolete idea.

As for the alpha/beta male idea, you may as well go with the categories from Team America (dicks, pussies and assholes) or anything else made up to simplify the world by reducing the choices to anything less than infinite.

0|1
    0|0
  • The concepts people base the idea on came from a study of wolves in like the 80s which was on captive unrelated wolves. In a natural wolf pack the "Alphas" are by and large the parents of the rest of the pack.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's bullshit and was debunked by the very guy that made it.

0|3
    0|0
  • I sleep in Alpha state in mind and I'm a Beta state in mind when I'm in a High vibe on Alpha/Theta state in mind Frame , Is that the same?

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes and no, we have more and less masculine men, it's technically not the same as alpha and beta males since our species don't have those, but it's very similar in many ways.

So scientifically no we don't, as a practical experience, we do have the equivalence.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not really no.

In the modern day, virtually anyone could get anyone else, given an algorithm that find matches. And with the advancement in machine learning, it would seem more likely in the future, finding compatible partner online would be more frequent in the future.

0|1
    0|0
    • It's Not about getting a Partner.
      Most Beta Males are in a marriage because they are Most likely to sacrifice own desires/Goals for a Partner.

Alpha and beta behavior is about almost every aspect of a man (and Woman).
      How you behave in Business Deals, how you make descisions in your relationship, how you raise your children, what your priorities are in live, etc

• Bill you're a damn idiot marriage does not make you inferior just means you don't think with the head between your legs

• Your bus question is in complete paradox with your title.

" Do you believe ALPHA and BETA males exist? " and " Could they both be Alpha?" Are the exact opposite.

If alphas are smart and good communicators, you sir 100% are not one.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Its just a weird ass thing guys do recently to try and feel better about themselves.

0|3
    0|0
  • I have seen so many wanna be alphas lol it's not even funny I dont believe because some guys got brains some got bronze some got both but at the end of the day we are as little men and it dont matter who's tuffer faster smarter a girl gonna pick her preference

0|1
    0|0
  • As far as I understand, alpha is just basically another way of saying dominant.
    Dominant and less dominant guys exist for sure.

You can't really take an alpha or beta label too seriously though ^^.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes when we look at men through with the reptillian part of our brains that view the world as what genes will be selected out and what genes will be passed. Other than that I don't think it's relevant.

0|0
    0|0
  • They exist in so far as to say "there are men with acceptable T-counts and ones with below acceptable." This isn't up for debate and really it's what people mean when they say alpha/beta male with humans. Anyone who disagrees either has a low T-count and is ashamed of it or thinks the term only applies to pack animals.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they exist, but not like the definition all these jerks are giving. I'm talking about alphas, betas, omegas... in a scientific way, leaders of the pack, lieutenants... I use the same definition as for wolves or any other animal groups.

0|1
    0|1
  • As a guy I can say if you do think this you are beta yourself

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. I think it may be influence by biology and your environment but one might have control in changing it.

0|1
    1|1
    • I'm surprised @HikerDude didn't jump all over this yet.

• Show All
    • I actually don't believe in alpha/beta that much any more. I think it's more about self-esteem and how we see ourselves in the world, not some cosmic ordering of people.

• I think we're on the same page sort of

• Beta and Alpha males are made up terms to categorize men as perceived to be "strong" or "weak". I don't believe in that shit. If you're a man, you're a man.

1|2
    0|0
  • Nah. The alpha and beta thing has been disproven in the animals it originally originated from

1|4
    0|0
  • Of course it exists unless you are a beta male that votes no LOL.

0|3
    1|3
    • So true! I could have fallen into that trap when I was younger and deny my beta nature. Now that the denial is over though, I can wholeheartedly agree that alpha and beta males do exist. Not all men are one or the other, but, for some men like me, our nature is undeniable.

• I admit it I’m a beta 😂

• Eh. I don't think such simplistic terms can be used to describe a creature as complex as humans. It works fine with wolves, not so much on something with a much more complex social system. And situation is important to take into account too. The college jock with the thousand dollar shirts and daddy's Lamborghini, who gets all the pussy on campus and started in every ball game the past three years, would been the bitch of the smallest guy in my infantry platoon. And may whatever good he believes in have mercy on his soul if he tried shit with one of the machinegunners in my company.

0|2
    0|0
  • To some levels, yeah I believe there are some alpha and beta people.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Just some guys have a bad ego & somehow think they are an Alpha.

0|1
    0|1
  • we have quite objective ways to describe differing character traits in psychology. "beta" is just an insult and "alpha" the opposing term for people that use beta as said insult to assert that they think they're better.

0|0
    0|0
  • We are not fucking animals, we as humans should be civilised, the concept of alpha and beta males is against that. Dominance is not a good trait, it just means you're an egoistic asshole.
    And no being that doesn't make you superior to anyone.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, such stereotypes do not exist, you are who you are.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. I can See it in real Life.

I don't think anyone can deny this fact. If yes, then please Talk to me.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I do. Like everyone who throws these terms around, I have my own subjective opinion on what they mean.

0|1
    0|0
  • I believe in the concept but not the theory. I might as well be a mix breed because I only show my alpha side when someone tries to one up me

0|1
    0|0
  • Seems as silly as asking if classification exists. Do fat people exist? Do the LGBT? Do muslims exist? Do boys and girls exist?

0|0
    0|0
  • Dumbass way to categorize people

2|6
    1|0
  • The idea of alpha-beta is so cringe. Everyone is different

1|2
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes