Sounds nuts, but could a stalker hire a private investigator to find out more about you?

Lately, myself and some friends close to me have noticed that 2 work colleagues seem to have an unhealthy obsession with me.

Largely I keep myself to myself, and only engage in polite conversation with both males - as I do with everyone else. However, one of the guys has now attempted to make physical contact with me but touching my hand, when I was sitting eating lunch one day. I was sitting myself and he came to chat to me and touched my hand when he was conversing with me. So I decided to avoid him. Then a few days ago, he was seen spying on me from through a book shelf while pretending to place books on the shelf. As soon as I noticed he was crouched down there looking at me, I removed myself from the area. My friend told me he was then running around looking for me.

As for the other guy, he manages personal items that are ordered into our work place. The items should be placed on a reservation shelf for us to pick up - but he actually keeps my items so that I have to actually approach him to pick them up. He also makes comments when I try to collect resources from other collection points - insisting that I should be picking items up form his collection point. It’s getting tedious to be honest. And others are noticing.

Then, the other night I was approached by an odd guy dressed in a suit who started inquiring about my hobbies, personal life and romantic life. He was waiting to catch the same train as me and smiled when he saw me. He then approached me and said ‘sorry I hope you don’t mind me approaching you, but you look quite cute’ I just said thanks but felt quite awkward. He then sat with me for the 20 min train journey home, but never actually asked my name - which is weird. I feel as if he already knew my name and was looking specifically for me to get details. I’m inclined to believe he was hired to approach me by one of those 2 males. It was a seriously odd encounter.
  • This definitely sounds weird.
  • I don’t think you’re being stalked
  • I think one of those guys hired that personal investigator to find out more about you
    Vote C
  • It’s difficult to tell
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E

39

Most Helpful Guy

• Dismiss the suit. Having worked with PI's, never seen one wear a suit. They dress in a 'gray fashion'. In other words, they dress to blend in. To go unnoticed. Just a guy flirting with you and making conversation.

Could they hire a PI, absolutely. Are they behaving unusually? Well, juvenile, definitely. Creepy too? Yeah. Social skills are a dying art. It is bothering. Speak with your supervisor for them to at least see if they see it too. At which point, HR may have to step in. However, if stocking is going on, proceed with caution as those sorts can be quite unstable. Avoid being alone whenever possible.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can't rule it out. Investigators do whatever someone pays them to do as it's a job to them. They don't always look at the legal end of it all. Maybe you need to talk to your boss about these guys harassing you, although you can't really call it harassment from a sexual standpoint, but more in a makes you uncomfortable type.

• I know 🙄. And exactly! It’s not sexual harassment, but at the same time, it’s very annoying. And it really does make me uncomfortable.