Was I wrong for turning down dates because I'm broke?

I turned down a date because I can't afford to get my nails done, my hair done and I can't afford to buy a outfit... I only have one pair of shoes and they aren't dress shoes... I tried taking out a loan yesterday so I could do something but they told me I can't get my funds until next month...

should no money = no dating
should no money = no dating
  • Yes wrong
    Vote A
  • Not at all
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• No offense but that's really stupid to think that dates is all about money. You should not date a person who is a random stranger and is not somebody you're not friends with for a while first and get to know who they are as a person. If you're doing all of that then perhaps it was the best move because your priorities are very wrong. You're not a gold digger if you want to date somebody but you don't have money. All you have to do is explain to the person that it would have to be something like a walk in the park or picnic where you both can bring your own food and you can hang out. There are many ways to have dates without having to have money. It's all about being creative and deciding what you both truly want to do. You need to communicate this. If you find out the person is not doing the same as you want and desire then you need to cut off contact with that person. The the ones that asked you out on a date, they have no right to be selfish. And if they are stay away from such men.

0|0
    0|0
  • WTF? Do you think a guy cares if you can't be fake for him? I mean, you should shower and have good hygiene, but getting your nails and hair done... I don't do it whether I have money or not. I hate painting my nails and the fake nails even more. And I just take care of my hair and straighten it occasionally. As for outfits as long as they are nice there is noproblem. There are CEO's who wear basic stuff and most of their wardrobe looks almost the same.

2|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• No, you're not wrong, but none of that stuff matters. When I did the whole 'dating and relationshits' thing instead of just finding bitches and fucking them, I wouldn't have cared if you didn't do your nails and get some salon to do your hair. Just be clean and presentable. No dress shoes? No problem. This isn't an interview for the Secret Service or the Diplomatic Corps, it's a DATE, it's supposed to be FUN.

So while you weren't wrong, I think you were looking at it wrong, and made a mistake.

1|0
    0|0
  • Listen a real guy wouldn’t care if your broke. Me and my baby momma use to be broke when we first met now we are financially stable. It’s about falling in love. A real man would love to be there for you whether he has a job or not.

3|0
    0|0
    • People say that being broke teaches you a lot, but being broke hasn't taught me anything. It just taught me how to struggle, struggle, struggle and constantly be miserable

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Dating and getting your hair, nails done should be least of your worries right now. Fix your financial problems first then maybe find a job then date. It isn't wrong to turn down a date if you're broke. Priorities, priorities...

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no obligation to go on a date, so if you don't feel comfortable for it, for any reason, then don't, and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't keep taking out those loans. They are terrible.

Get your money in order by calling Consumer Credit Counseling of America and ask for help budgeting your money.

But, no, you don't have to turn down a date. Many beautiful women do not do all that stuff.

1|0
    0|1
  • Your the girl, your lucky, the guy is suppose to pay for everything during the dating process. You can accept dates knowing that its the guys responsibility in today's society to pay for the date.

Imagine if you were a guy with no money, you'd never be able to date.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yeah very wrong, you missed out on what could have been a great night for the sake of vanity. If the guy was interested in you to the point that he wants to go on a date with you then there is a good chance that he won't care if you came dressed in old rags!

3|1
    0|0
  • It's too soon for you to make such an investment on someone you might not even get a second date with bc you really didn't like the first one.

I really recommend you to go light on the first date. And if he's worth it and y'all connect he'll understand your brokeness

1|0
    0|0
  • No, Not "Wrong" But Also Not... Smart.
    You could Have Borrowed an Outfit, Done your own Hair and Nails. xx

2|2
    0|0
  • It's not wrong, I didn't date at all for the longest time in school because I had no money, but for you, I wouldn't let it stop you, especially if guys are asking you out. Because they already are attracted to you (they're asking you out) so all of that isn't necessary. I know you want to do it to look your best, but it's not important.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would understand needing money for the actual date, like dinner or whatever activity you guys are doing. Because no, you shouldn’t expect him to pay. But I am sure you have clothes in your closet that you can wear, and you can do your own hair and nails. It’s only a first date, so don’t invest much into it.

0|0
    0|0
  • its ridiculous to get new shoes, hair done, nails dont and a new outfit to get coffee. I mean dates are pretty casual. You dont need bedazzled nails to see aquaman

2|0
    0|0
  • I would say you are wrong, yes. Do NOT take a loan out to get your hair and nails done and to buy a new outfit and new shoes. Save money in your budget for that. If you don't have that big of a budget, then get another job. If guys want to date you without your nails and hair done, why would you turn them down?

0|0
    0|0
  • I hate to use the term "wrong" but the way i see it, you could have had a slightly casual date, after all they asked you out without your hair and nails being done, so they obviously liked what they saw.

Obviously you would want to look your best, but if the choice is between your current best or no date, id take your current best.

0|0
    0|0
  • your the type that I hear on here that has to look nice to go on a date or have your nails done or have make-up on No your not wrong for not wanting to be someone else when you go on a date. Just be your self unless you normally pay for things or you ARE YOUNG.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, why do you feel like you have to do so much? Can't you just ask for a more laid back date? Chill at home with a pizza watching a movie? Sure, it might not be big and glamorous but at least you'd get a date. That's what love is all about. It's not all about money and the big things. It's spending time together.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you're girl, it doesn't matter.
    If you're guy, you better have some cash.
    This is how things are. And I hate it too, don't worry.
    No, seriously, I already see the comments. Guys don't care. It's mostly girls who care about this.

0|1
    0|0
  • You don't need anything fancy just try to be the real you and show up if he likes you then you know he loves you for you and if not then oh well

3|0
    0|0
  • The right guy will love you the way you look every day and won’t give a damn about your hair, nails, outfit or shoes.

Yeesh.

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't take out loans for short-term non-necessities. You could have said "Yes, I would love to but I'm flat-ass broke right now so what you see is what you get."

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve never heard of a guy turning a girl down because of her financial situation, we don’t care about that like women do

2|2
    0|0
  • Paint your nails a clear color and cut them. Find a cute outfit in your closet, it doesn’t have to be new.

1|0
    0|0
  • Learn to do hair and nails at home and wear what you have.

Tell him you are not paid yet and would like a low cost date. Go for a coffee date or even at home.

0|0
    0|0
  • do not take out a loan for that, tha's cash stuff. you have clothes, wear what you have. that is you in your current state. guys are not as judgmental about girls, if you are attractive and in shape and nice, that is plenty. if you are also way out of shape, then maybe hold off until you get your stuff together. dating should be about learning about what you want and need, not about making someone else happy.

back then I'd be happy if the girl showed up in flops and jeans. im still fine with it if that is where she is cause that is a temporary state.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im all for feeling fab on a date, but surely this guy/girl is happy with who you are?

0|0
    0|0
  • You need to pay for nails, hair and a new outfit for a date?

1|0
    0|0
  • Some guys won't be hung up on what kind of money you have or if you get dolled up for the first date. If you get asked on a date and he suggests someplace that calls for more than the casual dress code, then I would just say that you would rather spend time at a park, coffee shop, bar, or some other casual place.

I would plan on trying to get some money together for your own benefit, especially if you are insecure about it. BUT, many guys understand, especially in their early 20s, that you might lack a disposable income.

0|0
    0|0
  • Focus on getting your financials right first, that's more important, then worry about dating

0|0
    0|0
  • Little to obvious with all exuses.
    Isn't it better you are honest and say you are afraid or doesn't really want to date that person?

0|0
    0|0
    • If you really want to date that person say you are broke and would like to do a date there you two don't need to pay anything for both of you.

• I'm going to say no in general but yes because of how you're justifying it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends if you're trying to hide it. A genuine guy you could tell him and just spend some time with without spending money.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is up to you though you can always tell them you rather go on a sinple date (coffee, the park etc)

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd call it correct.
    If you can't afford a date or have bigger things on your mind then I'd say it's better not to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Is it bad? No. Did you suggest something else that wouldn't necessitate all that? That may have been a better followup.

0|0
    0|0
  • The right lerso wouldn't give a shit if you're broke. He would understand /may even help.

0|0
    0|0
  • You apparently were enough for him to ask already. Why would you have to get more dolled up?

1|0
    0|0
  • You should need to go that far for a date if you can't afford it, but you shouldn't turn down opportunities like that only because of money problems.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it can be wrong. Some of the best dates I have been on I have spent no money at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you had been out with me you would not need any money !!!

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm only going to tell you you're wrong because you feed off of negative energy.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. It is not wrong.

0|0
    0|0
  • ya probably... good call

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends, is he broke too? Haha!

1|0
    0|0
  • No, that wasn't wrong.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|0
    0|0
  • as they say, dress to impress

0|0
    1|0
  • 1|0
    0|0
    • I'm going to apply for them... I'm so tired of working for pennies and having to break my back to afford things I want

• Good. If you have talent, use it

• You should take shower and give your best lol I would not give up

0|0
    0|0
  • No self respecting women, date men with no job

0|0
    0|0
  • I've done it too

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow. How fucking vapid, vain and retarded can a dumb bitch be?

1|0
    8|2
    • And how dumb can an opinion owner be. There are nicer ways to express your disagreement.

• You don't have to tell me I'm stupid, I know i am stupid already... I just want to look decent. Why are you so angry about that?

• You turned down a guy over some stupid shit.

Probably for the best since you would only end up as a gold digging whore anyway.

Recommended myTakes