Would you break up with your partner if they gained a significant amount of weight?

Would you break up with your partner if they gained a significant amount of weight?
would you break up if your SO gained weight
would you break up if your SO gained weight
  • YES
    Vote A
  • NO
    Vote B
  • Other (leave a comment)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Not immediately, significant weight gain is in most cases a symptom of a deeper problem (i. e. depression, stress, going through some shit in life that affects mental state, or a physiological issue). I'd first try to help her figure out what the real problem is that's causing her to in the first place and help her get the support and help she needs. I'd also, out of concern for her health and mental well-being, encourage her to become more active and eat healthier.

If, on the other hand, she refuses to do anything about it and it gets to the point where it's draining for me I'd probably have to leave, but that would only be a last resort.

1|0
    0|0
  • If she takes me for granted and doesn't respect me or the effort I put then yeah. I work on maintaining my body not only for me but also for her. The least she can do is be healthy.

2|1
    1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• No, BUT I would have conversations with them about their health and the concerns I have. The picture you shared is cringeworthy--- I know that's mean-- but that's not attractive at all... It would be hard to want a physical relationship with someone who doesn't take care of themselves at all.

5|5
    0|0
  • Nope! I’d probably suggest a work out together. Think of changing the routine for a more active routine. 😊

3|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• No, I love her and would not do that.

3|2
    0|0
  • Break up is a bit too far. I'd definetely tell them about it and that it would be nice if we started working out together and ate healthier so we could both be in the best shape we can be. But if he is extemely lazy and doesn't want to be healthy, then that's a problem lol

2|1
    0|0
  • My fiance's love for me never waned despite my weight gain and lost sexy figure. He stayed, supported me, coached me and continued to love me throughout the gain and all the efforts to regain my old glory back. I doubt he'll ever neglect himself like I did but if he ever gained so much weight, I'll definitely stay unconditionally just like he did for me.

1|3
    0|0
  • No, but I would encourage them to at least try to lose it- if not for me, for their own health and well being. I'm fairly active and healthy so I do want a partner that is at least able to keep up with me.
    Now if they get to the point where their weight affects their health and ability to move and function? We would have a serious talk about his weight.

1|1
    0|0
  • Like most people, no I would not. I agree that if it gets to the point where it’s affecting who they are as a person and their health or if I’m just worried somethings wrong, I’d probably make time to have a conversation with them to see how they’re doing.

2|1
    0|0
  • Depends on why they gained the weight and whether they were willing to make any reasonable adjustments.

2|1
    1|0
  • It depends on what amount of time they gained it in. If my girlfriend gained a massive amount of weight in a few months then I would tell her thats not healthy. If she didn't start controlling her weight I would break up with her as a last ditch effort to save her life. The saddest way to die is from being obese.

1|1
    1|0
  • I've always been attracted to guys with meat on their bones. I dont necessarily find the above picture gross but I definitely would be worried about their health. I would try and make healthy food and also suggest we work at it together and possibly get gym memberships for both of us. I wouldn't break up over it tho. Especially if he was there for me, talked to me, made me feel loved and appreciated, aswell as if he was still he intimate with me.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. Certainly not if we are married. "In sickness and in health", remember? If we are dating and she has no intention of being healthy, then I might. I don't want to date someone who has a death wish. What's the point of being with her if she wants or plans to die soon?

2|1
    0|0
  • No. I'd work on communication. Try to figure out the source of the problem and see if I can help or do anything about it. If we fix the problem I'll work out with him.

1|1
    0|0
  • It depends. If we've been like married for 15+ years, I probably wouldn't because as you grow older your metabolism slows down, so it's natural. If it was my girlfriend, I would because obviously she doesn't care about her health if she lets herself go at such a young age.

1|1
    1|0
  • No, imagine if it was due to a medical issue like hormone imbalance or whatever. Or after giving birth to your children

1|1
    0|0
  • No, I've been on the receiving end. Should stick around and try to be supportive.

2|1
    0|0
    • Why should you support your partner in being unhealthy and unattractive?

• @SngBirdy Supportive in that I wouldn't just drop them, but not supportive in that I approve of them not trying to take care of themselves. Sometimes life happens and weight changes. I know what its like to be too fat and too skinny.

• No would not happen. It does not happen overnight but slowly over time. We exercise and eat healthy and if we change with age so be it.

2|1
    0|0
  • If it wasn't healthy and they didn't change yeah. I'm not going to stick around and watch you slowly waste away with diabetes.

1|2
    2|0
  • A relationship should not be strictly anchored to physical appearance, but physical appearance is important. I would first try to get her to a healthier weight, through meaningful dialogue. I doubt I’d have any issues persuading her to do so, especially if she has motivation from me. If she continues to gain weight and refuse any help from me or anyone, I can’t say I’d honestly want to stay with her as I not only wouldn’t be attracted to her anymore but I wouldn’t find her decision to sabotage her health desirable. I’d continue to find her help, but I don’t know if I would personally stay. Now, if she’s gained just a few pounds or nothing too significant, that’s no big deal at all to me. I suppose significant is subjective depending on the person, but how I define it would be on the verge of obesity.

1|1
    0|0
  • If my boyfriend did gain a huge amount of weight. I'd still love him no matter what. I'd probably suggest we work out together or do something active together.

0|1
    0|0
  • To all the people who are like nah I’d leave my SO if they got fat -.- really? It’s called motivating them to get back to how they want to look. I struggled with weight for a long time & thank Buddha that my man kept me in check. ( on and off birth control so it kept fluctuating my weight from 125-145 pounds and I just wanted to be 125/130 pounds ) it’s kind of disappointing that people would leave someone just because something started to get “uglier “ on them. How would you feel if someone left you because you got into a freak accident? Or if you accidentally shaved off one eyebrow? Or even had one glass eye and a real one ? Oh no we just gonna break up with them because now they don’t have an eyebrow -.- bodies change man & the great thing is ! It can always go back to the way it was before.

1|1
    0|0
    • I feel the same! I hate how to some people, a relationship is only as worth as the partner's eye candy. It's pathetic.

• Depends on the situation. But if we weren't married and I was still in very good physical health, I wouldn't stand for my significant other to have such a physical decline.

0|1
    1|0
  • Not at all, I love husky men who hold it well. However, id talk to him. Because if he is feeling a certain way that is causing him to over eat or something, or if I'm doing something wrong on my end, id like to hear his voice on the matter. People gain weight, its not new. He's still the man I loved from the beginning, only... there's more to love at that moment. But if I noticed a SIGNIFICANT amount of weight gain, id def try to make sure my loves diet was brought to a better place. Id probs make sure he was eating his veggies more, maybe add a bit more and id try my best to promote better food. We only human, its nothing to be ashamed of.

1|1
    0|0
  • It depends how much because some people get so big that they can't wash they're butt and it smells. That is something I wouldn't be ok with. If they decided to loose that weight then we'll see

1|1
    0|0
  • If they were throwing their health in the garbage without any desire to ever correct that, yeah.
    I dont wanna be with someone who is actively killing themself

0|1
    1|0
  • Significant. That seems a lot.

Well I wouldn't break up for that reason. Eating healthy and staying fit together would be what I do.

2|1
    0|0
  • No i would let her know she is putting weight on in a nice way and find out why she is letting herself go cuz it could be a list of reasons so i would help her try to get healthy again by making her healthy meals and trying. to get her to exercise again. When you love someone you you stand by them no matter what and try to help them.

0|0
    0|0
  • If the weight was affecting his health and he had no motivation to change, then I would have to leave. Cannot be with someone who doesn’t even love themselves enough

0|1
    1|0
  • I have not, instead I took the lead and got into shape hoping he would follow.

1|1
    0|0
  • No. I help him loose weight and cook healthy meals for him. Because I love him more than his apperance.

3|0
    0|0
  • Hell yes. I don't care for over weight in my partner.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'll work out with her until we both get fitter and healthier together. It also depends on the reason why she gained the weight.

1|1
    0|0
  • if they gain a few pounds nah it would be ok, but if they get really bad minus a legitimate medical reason id sit down and talk about it first.

If that fails then yes last resort.

2|0
    0|0
  • It's not the fact that they gained weight. The thought of being with someone who doesn't care about their health is very unappealing to me.

0|1
    1|0
  • No, I wouldn't. Most of the time, the issue is deeper. Overeating and weight gain could be due to stress, work, depression, anxiety, etc. I would ask them how they feel and help work through it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have to be honest with myself and honest with my partner if a certain threshold is passed and I no longer find her sexually attractive. We are in a relationship together so we need to communicate and be brutally honest for the relationship to last! If she starts to put on too much weight, be it stress from work, be it a lack of an active lifestyle and our dating life, I need to share in the blame and let her know how I feel. Hopefully she won't be too upset if I ask that we start working out at the gym and taking Salsa dance lessons when we have time from work, assuming we don't have kids by then! Hopefully, problem solved and relationship made better!

0|0
    1|0
  • I always joked about dumping her if she gained weight. Then she developed pcos and got fatter i supported her and got her condition diagnosed and treated
    She the cheated and dumped me so next time yes definitely

0|0
    1|0
  • Guys complain why we all think they are shallow and care about looks but then this this poll...

Anyway. I won't. It's not even realistic to expect a partner to remain same weight or have same fitness level for the rest of their lives. Gaining weight can happen and it's fine. If it gains in excess or rapidly to the point that it concerns me then I'll let him know how I feel. Simple.

But it's almost disappointing how... For some people all it takes for their partner is to lose their eye candy to lose that entire person's value and past compromises and sacrifices to the relationship. Especially after having a baby, just think a woman going through hell to give birth to HIS child and leaves her. Pathetic. :")

0|1
    0|0
    • Gaining a bit of weight is reasonable. Gaining as much weight as the pics in this question is life threatening, and no so easy on the eye.

• @MissBollinger12 I did say that if it ever gets to the point that I feel concerned then I'll talk to him. I don't think he will be able to get to that size before I notice and talk to him lol 😂

• I'd talk to her about it and offer to help get healthier. If she refuses then I'm breaking up. I'm a fitness freak so it'll be hard for me to be with someone who doesn't care at all and is lazy

0|0
    0|0
  • No but I would talk to them and ask if they could start thinking healthier

1|0
    0|0
  • No way, that’s just wrong on every level. I would stay and love every ounce of him.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nah but I would talk to them about it IF it bothered me

1|1
    0|0
  • No definitely not. Physical appearance even the beauty fades after getting old. Doesn't qualify for a reason to dump.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely not but I’d ask them to workout at least being concerned about their health

0|1
    0|0
  • No, but I would be concerned about their health.

0|0
    0|0
  • When I see it happening little by little I'll bring it up and hope she doesn't get pissed off, but I want to make sure she is doing okay.

0|0
    0|0
  • I said "no", but i would encourage them to maintain a healthy weight.

0|0
    0|0
  • No but they're going to have to change if not it's going to put a huge strain on the relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • No.. but i will give her a gym membership as a birthday gift

0|0
    1|0
  • If they wasn’t doing anything to lose weight probably yea.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am Not Shallow Hal. xx

0|1
    0|0
  • No..

1|1
    0|0
  • Nop, I'd first try to get fit together

2|1
    0|0
Show More