Where are the best places to find someone to DATE?

Where are the best places to find someone to DATE?
  • bars and clubs
    Vote A
  • online dating
    Vote B
  • grocery stores like whole foods
    Vote C
  • the gym
    Vote D
  • coffee shop
    Vote E
  • at work
    Vote F
  • Other (leave comment)
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
For the sake of argument... let's say "WHERE ARE THE BEST PLACES TO FIND SOMEONE FOR A LTR" Sorry for not being specific!

1|3

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't do polls coach, but here's what I know...
    Church
    School
    Take a class in a new hobby
    Work (like a mine field, but can work nevertheless)
    An advocated introduction - AKA a fried or relative fixing you up on a blind date.
    Gym
    Grocery store
    Coffee shop

The best way to find a potential mate is make a change in your life that opens up contact to more and new people you haven't met before.

And work on those social skills - practice striking up a conversation with EVERYBODY you meet, EVERY DAY, EVERYWHERE you go. Get good at drawing people out. Everybody loves to talk about themselves. This way when Ms. or Mr. Right comes along you won't have any trouble striking up a conversation and keeping it going.

Love can't start 'till attraction does, and then there needs to be a conversation.

0|1
    0|0
    • Good points!

• Show All
    • Gyms I'd generally say not to bother and is often listed as one of the places women often don't like being approached for a couple of reasons. Women for some reason may be self conscious when all sweaty even though to most guys it's actually kind of sexy. Too many dude bros have approached them and bother them in their workout or dudes leering at them. And many want to get their work out in and don't want to be hassled. I mean I often see women with headphone in their ears and obvious sign they are focused in working out and not interested in chatting. Most of the other choices are true, but the gym is a more tricky one compared to the others.

• @brennanhuff - Reasonable. But you'll hear girls ask right here on GAG if a particular guy is paying attention to them at her gym if he likes her. Clueless for sure, but I wouldn't rule it out. Some are just there to play the field.

• The best place is through friends/acquaintances. Whether it's a party or get-together that one of your friends is having, or whether it's a social group of some kind (car club, book club, gaming group, sports team, etc.), being able to meet people in a social setting and get to know them a bit before you ask them out is likely to help you have a better chance of a match (because you can pre-filter people much better).

And if you are asking out people in person, there's no uncertainty that online "meetings' can have, and you know they're local because they are there, in person.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• its not so much as where, but how, I will repeat what I have written on here before, a stranger could be a friend you are meeting for the first time, if you are prepared to talk its surprising where that can get you, I met my husband by chance again it wasn't where, it was because we talked to each other, put down your phones and look around you, your date could be right there next to you

1|1
    0|0
  • You never know I met my partner on on a 6 hr train ride, we live about 150 miles from eachother. But exchanged number and kept meeting up that was 19 years ago now. I don't think there is a best place to meet someone

2|1
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Dating for fun, dating for casual sex, or dating for long term relationship?

0|1
    0|0
    • Long term relationship

• I think best prospects for LTR come from online (because you can weed out many of the obvious deal breakers) or from friends/family making introductions (because they, hopefully, have weeded out the obvious mismatches.)

• I think in most cases, meeting someone is so random that anywhere can be. Easiest place has to be a university campus, though.

1|2
    0|0
    • This can be dependent on age and other factors. @OlderandWiser has said that dating sites have worked well for him, which is definitely not my experience.

• Probably a coffee shop or grocery store.

2|2
    0|0
    • Do women actually like a guy chatting them up at a grocery store? I've never done that because I felt weird doing it. Like I don't think women expect to a guy to chat them up there unlike the bar, I don't know. The coffe shops I go to, it's not like a book store, hang out place, but you just get in line to order and one small table and what not.

• Show All
    • 6d

@brennanhuff Where you from mate?

• 6d

I’m not gonna say what city specifically, but from northeast part of America but in a small city.

• everywhere. there's like 4 billion of them walking around somewhere...
    just be social everywhere.

a place I hadn't heard listed... pet shop, animal shelter, dog park. But please don't go around doing stuff to go meet women, there's a fine line here... you do want to, but go to enjoy life, have fun whatever the result and if women are there, that's bonus points. that helps keep your emotional state in a better place which they will pickup on.

1|1
    0|0
    • Dog park is a great one!

• Show All
    • @brennanhuff right on! it has to be you, authentic in the moment generally. some players just run routines, but thats not me. glad it works for you, that is what you want!!!:)

• that's why some players do well with hook ups, but women that are girlfriend worthy see through the shenanigans and lack of authenticity and not as well when trying to be in a real relationship. It can turn against a guy if and when he wants more.

• Where ever you are in life but not online when it comes to it.
    Be the one doing the approach, the one picking up the other and seduce pro active.
    if you want things to happen fast, skip games, be straight forward, be right on what you want and all the other straight forward brutal honest without filtering.

0|1
    0|0
  • When I was still a student, the university campus was ripe with students eager to ask each other out. After that, work-related social gatherings are where I mostly noticed or remember people finding dating interests. Meanwhile, a majority of people who go to bars & night clubs already have dates.

1|2
    0|0
  • Wherever your shared interests and what you value most. If you want someone religious, find church related events. If you want someone educated, while you're in college. If you want a party person, at the club. Though, I don't see how a party person could maintain an LTR

0|3
    0|0
  • If you're a guy in college, wander over to the fine arts school, particularly dance and music. When a new guy shows up over there, 40 horny women lean out of the practice rooms and scream in chorus, "Is he straight?"

Go to recitals and concerts. Dress nicely. You'll find someone almost every time.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lounge areas in hotels, universities and libraries.
    Higher chance to run into "high quality" people, and lower chance to be intruding on whatever they are doing, since people usually hang out there to waste time in between classes/business trips or whatever.

0|1
    0|0
  • The gym or coffee shop

I've only ever dated guys I know. Except for the time I went on a blind date, which was a disaster. The guys I've dated have always been known to me , or known to someone I know personally. They were never random strangers on the "street"

0|1
    0|0
  • Literally anywhere. You can't even say online dating anymore because a lot of that has now turned into a way to try and find a hook up.. you have a large amount of people at one location it's almost hit up everyone till someone says yes. You can go to a coffee shop, at a social gathering, church. Any random location where you find someone attractive.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have always done well at friends gatherings. Online... eh. Not a bar person. I don't drink so honestly I do find it hard to date a lot. I find nothing more unattractive when a drunk guy tries to cake.

I be like...

0|2
    0|0
  • I wanted to vote for another category that wasn't up there - college. By far I've made the most dates with people at school and coworkers a distant second (because of the inclination to stay away from coworkers). It's an age-old question I've heard over and over and wondered many times "Where have all the good ones gone? What happened to them? Where are they?"

0|0
    0|0
  • Generally best places of finding a date are ones with the lowest obstacles between interaction between strangers. This often leads to internet services or social spaces that include alcohol since approach is easier and you avoid public humilation in case things turn out wrong.

Still you can find a date pretty much anywhere. Most often i've seen people get to know eachother through some common friends and then end up dating.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not hard to meet people... those are all great places...
    I have success with online.
    How to mainteain a good relationship is a chanllenge.

2|1
    0|0
    • Update...
      College LT
      Online - was happily married for a long time.
      dated another LT
      GAG - long term...

Selection of men see me as LT potential and marriage material.

online - agree with olderandwiser can weed out lots easily.

• At work or cafe someone where it's just us alone talking for hours complete strangers just talking how romantic... Not a grocery store I would be afraid of being judged and I would be afraid to judge them bc I may really like them and I'll look like an ass trying to make them buy something healthier

0|1
    0|0
  • School, and bible study are the best. Online dating is worth a little effort but not the greatest. Stay far away from bars and clubs. 99% of people who hang out at those places are not people who are of a dating mindset and are more looking for immediate gratification.

0|1
    0|0
  • Online or events in your city or town. Every weekend there is always some type of festival or event in my city I have met a lot of people that I've dated from those events.

0|1
    0|0
  • churches, gyms, places where people volunteer, just about anywhere where alcohol is not sold. e. g. bars.

1|3
    0|0
    • People aren't that talkative at the gym

• Show All
    • @brennanhuff : Yes, I've done some volunteering. It's not just older people. It depends on the type of volunteering you are doing, and where you do it at. Working with kids often attracts a younger crowd. It does seem to me, that single's groups are under utilized as ways to meet people as well, though actually, I've never belonged to one.

• there's a national club thing that seems pretty cool for people to socialize and make friend and I think can help getting a date too. It's called meet up and there's an app for it now. It goes for many cities in the US. I think it helps for people especially who are new to the city which can happen with work or life where people leave their hometown for career pursuits. But in the process they leave their family and friends or may just know a few in new city. So naturally looking to make new friends and have a social life and in that process date

• There isn't one place that I can think of that is better than another unless you are comparing an advance mathematics class to a drama class of were to find women. Beyond saying that, one can pretty much happen upon a potential mate just about anywhere where you will find box men and women meandering about.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've been with my boyfriend (who I met online) for over a year now. I'm a big advocate of okcupid specifically. It's very easy to just be transparent on there!

2|0
    0|0
  • Other!
    Move out to the country side, where women are more serious and more independent. Peaceful life style and probably better , just stay way way far from big cities and you will find unbelievably gorgeous women to date and they will take care of you too but if you play too much you will go down

0|0
    0|0
  • I say online dating but it is really hard to say. Introductions from friends can be good but personally I never had much luck with it. The workplace, but that can lead to negative consequences. Actually, it is a hopeless cause... KIDDING!

0|0
    0|0
  • I've had a girl approach me in a bookstore and one said hi in Target before, but I was in a rush both those times trying to find something. Nothing against them and I was fine with them doing it, just not that day. I've tried clubs, but it is awkward because it's loud, and in order to not look like you're just creepily hooking up, you need to have a wingman (preferably a more than one) who actually knows how to socialize. Since most single women travel in groups, having your own friends to match is a source of social proof. Furthermore, while under the influence of alcohol, one of us might change our minds after we sober up. Clubs are too much effort. Online, I never had any luck, and some of those sites are expensive if they suck you in. Personally, I would rather not be bothered at the gym because if I went, I would go to concentrate on exercise. I think I would get the best results from either friends of friends or acquaintances who happen to have a girl as their friend come along to a coffee shop, but it could literally be anywhere.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think if you're looking you're gonna end up with the wrong person. Ideally, you'll just meet them while you're going through your life. At any of these places

1|0
    0|0
  • I've always ended up being with guys I've mett at friends gatherings... but willing to try online now

0|1
    0|0
    • How to find someone online? I am willing to find someone but I do not know how

• Show All
    • @pootytangg No I was trying to ask a sincere question to understand. I wasn't trying to be insensitive. You just interpreted it that way.

• It was all just a misunderstanding I guess. Good day sir!

• In my case, she was behind me in neurology class and I just turned around to say something stupid one day

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on what you looking for in a partner. I was very lucky to get my new partner on Facebook. It works for some and doesn't work. online dating is a hock up. Nothing serious.

1|2
    0|0
  • Just about any environment that is healthy is the best place to find a date. Bad behavior usually causes unhealthy environments. If you're looking for a long term relationship, seek out healthy environments - whether that's churches, stores, state fairs, parks, etc. Not all environments will be completely healthy or unhealthy. But seeking more healthier environments would be best.

1|0
    0|0
  • I’ve always wanted to meet someone in a book store, but you’ve deft got to do it right so that it doesn’t just come off as creepy.

1|1
    0|0
    • Me too and then instead of can i buy you a drink, can i buy you a book lol

• Show All
    • Is it ok if asking what someone has tried said food you're looking at? I mean it's a good question, as it's natural to want to try something that looks good, but you're not sure if you haven't eaten it. You never know someone else might have and can tell you if it's good in their opinion or what the food tastes like if they have or they might not, but it will allow them to respond to a genuine question. I almost did and wish I asked when a girl one time was in the healthy food area, you know like gluten free good area. I don't have that intolerance, but I get some things that are just good in that area. There's a Wegmans where I'm from, which has a decent portion of similar food. She was looking in the cooler near me and so it's obvious that she might have a gluten intolerance or at least likes stuff. She went by my cooler where I got the Vann's gluten free waffles which are good and I almost wanted to casually bring up how said waffles are really good, but I didn't :(. She seemed a little shy but did seem to notice me when I said sorry or something was trying to not be in her way as we both looking in same area. But I couldn't help but feel she did glance at me. What do you think saying that or such? I over think things unfortunately and need to just not worry or over think and turn off my brain sometimes.

• I think that’s another good way to try it. Like you said try not to overthink it too much, which I know is hard in the moment.

• You know, I asked a question this once, but the answers I got were mostly from trolls who basically sneered and told me to piss off. (Deep sarcasm) Got to love pep's on the internet sometimes, don't ya!

In more serious. I'd absolutely love to know the answer to this, because whenever I go out the only people I come across are women who are either married or in relationships already.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where you go most often lol.

In my case it would be my university campus 😝

1|3
    0|0
  • Bars and clubs for a quick date or a rebound, nothing serious.

For LTR though, coffee shop, library, workplace.
    Somewhere where people aren't desperate or thirsty and are just minding their own business.

Finding good love isn't an objective, it's a lucky coincidence.

0|0
    0|0
  • im 52 so rely on what has worked for years... clubs and bars but if i was eighteen i may say online. i have tried online dating but it never feels right to me personally

0|1
    0|0
  • I would have to say online dating, as problematic as that is. You meet people elsewhere and they're probably married or in a relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not there but I'd say at class. Class is a good place to not only study but meet new people at the same time. Y'all probably have some friends from class. That applies too for dates.

0|2
    0|0
    • How do you do that? What's your secret? Most of my friends aren't in my class in school. When you only have a 5-10 min break and there 100 people, it's a bit difficult to make friends. I mean you're supposed to stay focused in the lecture and take notes

• Yes it could get difficult. Mostly I would say it's talking after class. Hanging out afterwards, exchange phone numbers... ask for notes or just say hey to someone and take it from there.

• Whole foods is good because you know they try to eat clean.

1|1
    1|0
  • I think at work because you have a chance of having similar interests since you already have a similar career

0|1
    0|0
  • Out and about, living your life. Those people are very likely to have similar interests. Dating sites, to me, are just hookup sites so I avoid those as I want relationship not slam and jam.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd say online - because you can easily bail if something goes wrong and he's a creep!

1|1
    0|2
  • It's been my experience concerts and music festivals. People are loose (liquored up) and having a good time already.

0|1
    0|0
  • Anywhere, however I'm not looking.
    Dating sites suck
    Bars are just for drinking pretty much
    Clubs are too damn loud.
    These two places are about the only ones around here.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on what kind of girl you want and what interests you have personally. For instance, if you hate reading and look for girls in libraries and bookstores, you are a dunce. If you enjoy drinking a lot and go find girls who clearly don’t, you aren’t going to enjoy yourself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was just having this conversation a few days ago with a GAG guy.
    He said church is a good place, and I agreed. I've only been to church about three times in my life, but there was breathtaking scenery each time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bars and clubs are bad because there’s lots of unstable people and work is bad because it could create drama.

2|2
    0|0
  • that it all depends on you if you are a church goer if you love going to nightclubs like to work out the choice is yours or you could meet him or her any were even walking down the street

0|0
    0|0
  • I really have no clue on this "best places" to find someone to date. I do not actively seek out for someone to date. I think I am too old for that now. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Through other fiends. I have to say is my go to way. You meet someone and find them interesting then you ask your friend if the other person is single and do they think maybe you could see where it goes

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to date in my social circle - but then realized I'll always keep dating the same kind of guy because.. well its my social circle. I find gym and the grocery shop invasive.. (im going to out to do something but I'm put on the spot by someone who needs me to make a call on the spot as to whether I want to hear from him again.. with very little information). Coffee shops are ok if I'm just chilling - not if I'm working. Nightclubs and bars are ok... but I'd assume the guy wants to hook up and isn't looking for love (so I may not take him as seriously) My preference has become online dating because... I have time and space to get to know someone. I can meet people wayyy different from me (different countries or backgrounds) and that widens the dating pool...

0|1
    0|0
  • This is really interesting. Online dating is supposed to be the best option , but people still prefer the face to face meeting. I totally agree too. Real life connection is a lot better than online.

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes