Is setting your expectations too high for a potential partner a bad thing?

I know people do have certain specifications to who they want to spend the rest of their life with but if you set the bar too high, does that hinder your chances of finding that special someone?

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• No. It's called knowing what you want, and not settling just to be with someone.

I'm not saying you can't be a little flexible with your standards, because NO ONE is going to perfectly match what you want.

But it is okay to at least have some ideals of what you will and won't accept from someone. Yes, that might make finding the right person harder. I know my set a high bar. I've been single a long time, and I know that's part of the reason why- I have specifications on what I except from a partner and stand by them... which unfortunately most guys fail to meet.

And that's okay. It keeps me from being hurt or disappointed by the wrong ones.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• In a way yes-
    If you expect too much from someone, you are lowering the match rate partner wise.

In a way however no-
    If you have specific things that you could only live with someone if they had those traits, it seems like you would click better with them if you found the person while if you had low expectations or low necessary criteria, you may just end up clicking with everyone :/

I myself have specific tastes but I don't have expectations, I prefer the idea of experiencing it all over time, not expecting them to be perfect at first glance <3

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Because everyone's different you miss a world of opportunities if you have high expectations.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Nope. In general women’s standards are too low, especially regarding the attitude and behavior of a potential partner. Ladies are putting up with way too much bull crap from guys.

Trust me, the minute you lay down the law, the garbage takes itself out and the good ones stick around.

That’s how I found such a good husband.

0|1
    0|0
  • If you’re judging based of the first experience then yes because that isn’t an accurate representation of them but if after a while they’re not up to your standards then no because why pursue someone who you already know you won’t last with

0|1
    0|0
  • It can be both a good thing and a bad thing.
    It's a good thing if it protects you from being hurt by liars and unprincipled people. It's a bad thing if it makes you judgmental or a hypocrite, refusing to recognise that as a human being you also have your faults.

0|0
    0|0
  • From personal experience I would say no. Finding a partner isn’t easy. You will have less choices. The most important thing to keep in mind is always be true to yourself.

0|1
    0|0
  • You can't be too pretentious or else you'll be alone the rest of your life. It's important to have feelings for the person

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is. Nobody is perfect and you'll decrease your chances of finding someone

0|1
    0|0
  • Very bad. Nobody is perfect. You’ll end up passing on people that can be a good match due to being too picky.

0|0
    0|0
  • Look you can want to have the hi class car but you need to start at the bottom and work your way up to it if you know what I mean

0|0
    0|0
  • No, bc there is someone out there perfect for you. You just gotta trust it'll happen. Fate

0|0
    0|0
  • It is fine if you don't mind lessening your chances of meeting someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • to a certain extent yes

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is but I understand you

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what the specifications are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes depends on ur expectations

0|0
    0|0
  • That’s shows ur with high standards but make sure ur expectations with acceptable limits

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, because no one is perfect

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes