Is setting your expectations too high for a potential partner a bad thing?

I know people do have certain specifications to who they want to spend the rest of their life with but if you set the bar too high, does that hinder your chances of finding that special someone?

139

Most Helpful Girls

• No. It's called knowing what you want, and not settling just to be with someone.

I'm not saying you can't be a little flexible with your standards, because NO ONE is going to perfectly match what you want.

But it is okay to at least have some ideals of what you will and won't accept from someone. Yes, that might make finding the right person harder. I know my set a high bar. I've been single a long time, and I know that's part of the reason why- I have specifications on what I except from a partner and stand by them... which unfortunately most guys fail to meet.

And that's okay. It keeps me from being hurt or disappointed by the wrong ones.

Most Helpful Guys

• In a way yes-
    If you expect too much from someone, you are lowering the match rate partner wise.

In a way however no-
    If you have specific things that you could only live with someone if they had those traits, it seems like you would click better with them if you found the person while if you had low expectations or low necessary criteria, you may just end up clicking with everyone :/

I myself have specific tastes but I don't have expectations, I prefer the idea of experiencing it all over time, not expecting them to be perfect at first glance <3

• Yes. Because everyone's different you miss a world of opportunities if you have high expectations.