What does it say about a significant other who is trying to change their partner in ways their partner does not want to?

I have a friend who's partner is making him give up several things like his gaming, social drinking, social smoking, etc. Things that are not big deals in entertainment. His partner is completely uptight and tries to control every aspect of his life which includes his own friends. I am not sure if it is jealousy, however, I have overheard about how she did not even trust any of his friends and began to attempt at limiting who he hangs out with and when. A big issue to this is the fact that he loves her so much that he sometimes caves into her demands while at the same time becomes frustrated. I have read about OCPD in which it infringes upon relationships due to a controlling behavior of how "things must be" mentality. I want to get to the bottom of this and understand what is currently present in this situation and if anyone has the experience of something like this.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Could mean they are controlling and lack self-confidence, but that doesn't apply when the partner tries to get you to give up bad habits.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm getting mixed information from you. You should get your facts straight on what's important and what's not. You consider some important things as no big deals, but then you also mention some things which are not that important in a relationship.
    From the looks of it, she tries to turn him into a better person and set his life straight. It is normal in a relationship to want your partner to improve.
    I don't have enough information on what else she's doing and the specifics of it, however, it does not look to me like they are fit for each other. She wants an exemplary man as a partner, not him. She's pushing her ideals on him to get the man she wanted. Wether she's manipulative or not, it all comes down to what kind of relationship they have and what agreements they did. Everyone has conditions from their partners when in a relationship, whether conscious or not. If they agreed to each other's terms, then it's up to them what they do.
    On the other side, I still don't think they're a good fit together. You don't pick someone under normal circumstances because you want to turn that person into a better one, but because that person fits with what you want from a partner.
    My advice is to break up if they have no such agreements and he's annoyed by her demands. Doesn't look like a healthy relationship to me, even if she's trying to impose healthy behaviors on him.

0|0
    0|0
  • It means he did a good job for having his own mom. Slaughtered without an announcement is the great part. It means he is going to achieve top of his career. As desperation didn't listened to him so. Best of luck to him.

0|0
    0|0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes