My boyfriend cheated, what do I do?

Basically, he messaged a girl from his past. I found out, he denied it. Then he admitted to it. It really hurt me deeply. He told me that he let the influence of his friends and society get to him, that men should have tons of women, and not settle down right away. We have been dating a year, we aren’t living together or engaged. He is the one that pushes for me to live with him, etc. I am really upset by his actions, and don’t think he should have “cheated” to express his inner feelings.

He told me he wanted to work for me, and be with me. But, deep down I know he wants to date other women. He has the “grass is greener” syndrome, and he should be allowed to see it’s not always that great.

I kind of don’t want to be his girlfriend right now. I think i want a break/open relationship. But, he said he doesn’t want either of those things. I still love him and imagined a future with him, but, at our own pace. He is 26, and I’m 22. He’s only been with 4 women and I’m his first girlfriend.
When he messaged her, he said he messaged her because he wanted her to respond, and to see if he could still “get” her.

926

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't consider messaging another girl cheating but I can see why you would think of it as a betrayal. I can't tell if you're thoughts about his having a "grass is greener" syndrome are based on oversensitivity to the situation or if its reality. It sounds like he has made it clear that he only wants to be with you and regrets messaging the other girl.

You've been together a year and this sounds like its likely the biggest problem you've had to deal with as a couple. If a relationship is important enough to both partners, then you work through the hard stuff TOGETHER and move forward. Taking a break and/or having an open relationship sounds like the recipe for a long and hurtful breakup to tell you the truth.

• I feel that way, because he mentioned to me how he feels that he should have been with tons of girls. He’s 26 and I’m his first girlfriend. Also, he’s only had sex with 3 other women. He mentioned to me how his friends and society make it seem a guy needs tons of girls to not be a “loser”. So, I feel he really, deep-down, wants to experience more women. Also, he is mentioning how deep-down he cares for me so much. When I ask if he loves me, he hesitates to say he does. Of course, I’m not madly in love after a year. But, I still feel love and care for him.

• At 26 he should be more secure than to worry about whether his friends or society think he's a loser based on how many women he's been with. That is my biggest concern in this entire situation. Second is the fact that after a year he cannot say that he loves you and you're not madly in love, either. This might be a relationship that isn't meant to last forever, and if that's the case, I understand why you think a break would be good. Like I said before, those types of things usually end up with a break up but in your case, maybe a break is what you need before you're ready to end things with him permanently. I'm sorry, I wish I was more optimistic. It just doesn't seem like the emotions or committment level is there for a long term relationship.

• No. He has said he loves me. And he would say it all the time. But, when I found out about him messaging another girl, i asked him “do you love me, because if you did, you wouldn’t message her”. And he said that he cares about me so much, and he wants to be with me. But, when I asked “but, do you love me?” He hesitated and couldn’t really say he loves me. He said “the times I’ve told you I love you, I felt love!” But, love is a fleeting thing. You make a choice to love someone, even when you don’t feel those intoxicating emotions that go away after the honey moon does. And i agree, at 26 he should know better. Also, my opinion should mean more than society and his friends.

Most Helpful Guys

• Lol he messaged her... that's not cheating.. cheating is committing a carnal act with someone other than the person he is with.. he is a POS for doing what he did, and especially for lying about I, but by definition he did not cheat.

• I consider it cheating because of the intention.

• Whoa. Well, I’m sorry that happened to you. I’m not that extreme. My boyfriend told me himself why he did it, he wanted to make sure that if our relationship ended, “he could still get it” from that girl. That, if we broke up, he wouldn’t have to worry as much. I find that really sad. If me and my boyfriend break up, I’ll accept it. I don’t go searching for “safety nets”. That’s harmful.

• Oh no disagreement.. he sounds like someone you should cut from your life.

• So he hasn't actually done anything with her? Maybe it's just an urge to flirt then? Not condoning, just saying maybe he had no intention of anything ever coming from it, just wanted the ego boost?

• That’s still wrong to me. I don’t go searching for ego boosts from men. It’s different to receive attention than to ask for it.

• I just feel upset. He wasn’t very lucky with women before I came along. I’m his first girlfriend, and he’s 26. I liked that he was kind-hearted (or so it seemed). And, I’m appalled he would search for an ego-stroke from another woman. I know he’d be upset if I did the same.

• Well it sounds like he doesn't deserve to be lucky then, I've had the same wth women, why Is it is nice people get the ones messing around?