Is today’s hookup culture unique, or has it existed before?

I asked this once as QueenOfCups, but it’s interesting enough to ask again.

I personally think it hasn’t been open and accepted like this since the days of the pre-Christian Roman Empire (or even the Republic if you wanna go back that far).

2985

Most Helpful Girls

• I think it's definitely more generalized now, at least in some western societies.
    Many humans always had the tendency to let their hormones run free, but nowadays people live under the (false?) assumption they're in control. Time and again we hear about women who sleep around with random strangers but get tested regularly, so "they're being responsible".
    Being on birth control is almost mandatory; I've been shamed by a female friend many years back because I wasn't on it, for apparently it's needed in case you're raped or any other eventuality. No one thinks how it may affect the body negatively.
    STD, it doesn't seem to be that shameful anymore.
    Got pregnant? There's always a solution.

Back in the day, you got a woman pregnant, you better marry her and raise the kid. Tough luck, you better have known better - which incidentally many young couples also did on purpose.
    Nowadays, there may be no baby. The guy will complain he was trapped into paying alimony for the next 18 years. Marriage? No way. The grandparents may very well be pressured into playing baby sitters under the pressure of being labeled lousy parents, so that the daughter can carry out her studies.

I think it's mainly women's behaviour that has changed, along with more liberal parents who believe their children will make it somehow.
    At the same time many women still struggle to be taken seriously professionally, most of them don't seem to mind the societal pressure in having to look sexy the whole time. Pressure that is many times put upon women by other women, who may be envious of you or your status and will do whatever it takes to take away your man or just simply look better, get more compliments...
    I guess it's just that many people don't seem to have morals anymore, or only follow them when it's convenient to them.

• It's always been around under many names, but it hasn't been nearly as noticable as today. Though in 100 years we might still be viewed as super prudish just like we tend to look at people from the 1800s

Most Helpful Guys

• It's supply and demand. Human females generally desire higher status males, and with colleges becoming more hostile towards men in general, those who are there have more bargaining power since they have less competition.

I read an article a couple years ago studying this in the college, and they found a hook up culture only really existed in schools that were predominantly female, while more technical and engineering focused universities tended to not have it.

I dunno, it's one explanation that sounds plausible to me.

• Yes, there was something quite similar right before the fall of Rome and the French Revolution.