3 mo

Why is high school dating so confusing? Does it really matter what your parents think?

So my boyfriend and I have been dating since the end of middle school. We have had our fair share of up's and down's, but for some reason our connection is so strong and the love we share that the times we could have separated, we stayed together. However, my parent's are not a fan of my boyfriend because he is going through a stage where he is experiencing a lot of internal conflict. He is 17, almost 18. I am 16, almost 17. I take my parents opinion's very seriously, but they sometimes cause me to think more like them instead of how i truly feel. In all honestly, I am in love with this boy. Sure, we argue and have disagreements. Sure, he has done things in the past that have upset me, and I can come on a little strong and forceful at times, which can upset him as well. However, we have become best friends over the years. I really do care about him. I really am struggling to find who I really am as a person, as so is he. When I was a preteen, my parents made it very clear that I had to decide what career I wanted to enter. My boyfriend wasn't forced to make the same decisions I had to, so now he isn't so sure what he wants to do. He found a love for baking and is showing interest in becoming a chef. I want to be an engineer, I think. I feel like I have a heart for the business side of things, like operations management. The thing is, my boyfriend isn't sure exactly what he wants to do, but he has an idea, and that upsets my parents. My boyfriend also doesn't like drinking, which upsets my parents in a way. They tell me that I should leave my relationship because its toxic, and they tell me he doesn't treat me good. He pays for my meals, he buys me nice things, and I don't tell him to do things like that. He is a normal teenage boy, like every other boy. He even bought my sister mcdonalds. They tell me I should leave and find other fish in the sea, but a part of me really wants to stay and that I really do love him. What should I do? I'm really sad.
3 mo
My parents haven't been getting a long lately themselves, money tends to be a big cause of conflict. Whenever I think about the relationship on my own, I always stay because this part of me tells me to because I really do love him and I do want a future with him, despite what my parents think. I know in my heart we all go through fases as teenagers, and hormones don't make it any easier. I really do love him... but my parents don't like him, and I don't know how to convince them to accept him.
3 mo
They tell me not to base my decision off of what they said, so when I chose to stay, my mom got upset. :(
3
1