2 mo

Rejection or no? My ex and I were together when he worked in a place of retail that I would often visit?

His boss at the time was someone that others believed was interested in me. He said to me 1 time that he enjoyed when I came to visit & he'd like the chance to hangout b/c he thought I was nice, fun & super easy to talk to but it wasn’t a good idea b/c my ex didn’t like him & they worked together. He was afraid of how it'd look. All good points. My ex worked there for a bit longer & we had a child during that time. He left for a different job & didn’t keep in touch with anyone there. Now, 3 years later & my ex & I are no longer together. Since I'm single I thought about this guy & stopped in to visit & this is where I need some help. He didn’t give away much with his facial expression, but did say the obvious“hey stranger, it has been a long time.”He also stood up, walked around the counter & gave me a hug. We chatted for a bit. Within that convo I told him that my ex & I were no longer together. He apologized & we discussed how it was best for our child in the long run. He asked me about my job, what I do, what kind of company it is. He told me how busy his store was & how backed up they were with some things. To my own surprise (not planned) I asked him if he wanted to go grab a drink at some point. His response:“possibly, but I’m really busy right now.”I think he got nervous so I told him not to read to much into it, I just wanted to go to a brewery, hangout & catch up. He smiled, said OK & kind of looked down at the counter for a sec. I told him I’d shoot him a text sometime soon. Before I left he initiated another hug. Do I take his answer as a rejection or give him the benefit of the doubt & reach out in a few weeks? I’m torn. He may actually be busy, i. e. he told me how business was & he has a small side business. I surprised myself by asking him to hangout & I knew that my breakup had already occurred. I just dropped that on him right before asking him to grab a drink so he was probably a little blindsided. Advice?
2
0