2 mo

Does breaking up for college and getting back together actually work?

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost three years when we broke things off a few days ago. We’re both about to head off to college in different states. I was set on doing long distance, until he decided to break the news to me that he didn’t want to commit to it, and instead take the time to focus on his education and having fun. I was devastated, but later came to terms with the fact that it was better to break things off sooner rather than later. We’re still on excellent terms and see each other often, we refer to one another as each other’s “best friends”, and decided to stay friends with benefits throughout college. This is personally not something I particularly wanted; I like stability and commitment. I asked him if we could stay exclusive and he said that he wants to “try new things”, which again, didn’t make me too happy, but I went with it anyways. Neither of us are opposed to getting back together after college or even during college depending on how things go, but I’m just scared that he’s really going to change and not want me anymore. I love him more than anything, and I really can’t see myself with anyone else but him. I’m just wondering if any of you guys have been in a similar situation where you broke up with a partner, but ended up getting back together after a period of time?
6
0