I feel that I should have waited until later in life before starting a relationship with my girlfriend. What should I do?

Anonymous
Hey folks,

I've been "official" with a girl I went to high school with for a year now as we went to the same college together and we always flirted in HS and we started to date once we got into college. We were always best friends, have loads in common and we can talk about pretty much everything and anything. Our friends made fun of us for not dating and so we decided to meet up one on one for a coffee and things developed from there. She's my first actual girlfriend.

Recently I've come to realise that I could genuinely spend the rest of my life with this girl. It's almost as if some divine entity created us for each other because we're so in tune. (Genuinely not making that up, she has said so many random things that I have also thought of and vice versa). Our friends say we're practically a married couple.

However, both our parents were 'first relationships' and I don't think that's right for me. I don't think I will experience life to the full with only one partner. It was always a regret of my Dad to 'marry the first girl he met' and that has rubbed off on me.

Neither of us want to 'lose each other' because we are best friends. i. e we're mature enough to stay friends if we break up. We had a conversation about having crushes on hot lab partners and so on and we ended up agreeing that if we do like someone else, go ahead and be with them.

I regret complicating my life so early on because I think we probably should've started dating later on in our 20s.

I know for a fact that there are other people interested in me and that some people are interested in her. Would it be best if we rolled it back to just being friends so that we can grow as people? I feel that she would be fine with it and if we meet other people, we would remain friends and potentially even get back together at a later stage.

Thanks.
10
3