1 mo

How can I best tell my family I'm dating a guy who is 17 years younger? Is there a way I can tell them so they won't be judgmental/worried?

Anonymous
How can I best tell my family Im dating a guy who is 17 years younger? Is there a way I can tell them so they wont be judgmental/worried?
I've been dating a guy about 17 years younger than me for about 6 months. (I'm 44. He's 27). I know there's a big age gap, but we actually have a great relationship. Most
of the problems that come with dating a younger guy don't apply to him. He's very mature, he's a college grad with a high paying job, he's responsible, and he's great at commitment. In fact, most of the age-gap differences in our relationship have actually been positive (less baggage, more energetic, more stamina in bed, etc). My relationship with him is going way better than relationships I've had with other guys my own age.
However, I haven't told my family about the age gap. My 2 daughters (15&16 years old), my parents, and my siblings know I've been seeing someone. However, I haven't introduced them and I haven't mentioned his age. I've been putting it off because I'm very concerned about how they're going to react to the age difference. I know when other people find out we get fairly negative reactions. That doesn't bother me because I know we have a great relationship and that we're falling for each other. However, what my family thinks does matter to me. I don't want them to think I'm with some irresponsible 27 year old only because I want sex. I'm afraid they'll judge me as having a "mid life crisis", not thinking with my head on straight (I am), and judging the relationship to be doomed to fail from the start. I also don't want them to think he's a gold digger or only is with me because of some cougar fantasy (neither are true). I've put this off for a long time because I'm super nervous. However, it looks like we're going to be a long term couple so it'll have to come out sooner or latter. How can I best tell my family I'm dating a guy who is 17 years younger? Is there a way I can tell them so they won't be judgmental/worried?
How can I best tell my family I'm dating a guy who is 17 years younger? Is there a way I can tell them so they won't be judgmental/worried?
Add Opinion