1 mo

Extended family tried to set me up w/ a girl years ago. I didn’t like the pressure and only felt semi attracted to the girl. But having regrets now?

Anonymous
My family in another state tried to set me up with another girl (friend if my cousins). This was awkward but well intentioned. I was 31 and she was 24 at the time.

I didn’t go along with it because:
  • I didn’t like being set up
  • She lives in another state and I would have to move. I saw them because I was traveling often.
  • I only felt semi attracted to the girl. She was definitely cute but she didn’t drive me crazy.
  • Her dad was a real hard ass and was acting like I was already dating his daughter (just real gruff around me). While I liked that she had a strong dad it was over the top a bit.
  • This girl would blab all her relationship problems with my cousins. I’ve already heard some negative things about her husband (which I shouldn’t know) because through “telephone” it went like this Girl blabs with cousins > cousins blab go my aunt and uncles > aunt and uncles blab to my parents. I got some quirks she would see if her and I dated. I want boundaries.
  • I got in a year relationship with someone else a month after I met her. That relationship ended badly (another story)
  • Around the time I met her I wasn’t looking to get serious with anyone. I was really invoked with a consuming hobby I wasn’t financially stable either (I am now).
However in the last 5 years I have decided I do want to get serious with someone. I was two other relationships that both ended badly. I can see on social media that this girl got married and seems happy with her 2 kids. I’m now the “weird uncle” in the family. I’ve struggled to find anyone decent to date and get serious with in the last few years.

I know there would be some big downsides if I pursued this girl (and she liked me). But I can’t help but feel regrets.
2
1