14 d

Why is marriage the goal of dating?

Anonymous
This is something I have been thinking about lately. I am 29 years old. I will be 30 in a couple weeks... and it always astounds me when I hear women talking about the only reason they are dating is to get married.

I've never really thought about marriage. It seems pointless to me, and I think people put way too much emphasis on it.

I don't date to get married. I date to find someone who I can share my life with. Someone who has the same interests as me. Someone I can have fun with. Someone I can tell anything to. Basically, someone I just genuinely enjoy being around. That's why I date.

However, in my past, I have met women who dated only to get married. For example, I was talking to a woman before, and she said she broke up with her man of 7 years because he though they were in love the the relationship was great, he didn't want to get married. So, she threw the relationship out because he didn't feel like getting married.

I also dated a couple of women who told me, "they want a husband and if I am not in it to marry them, we cannot be together."

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way... but I feel like if your only goal in dating is to get married, that's sad. There's more to a relationship than marriage.
Why is marriage the goal of dating?
1
7