12 d

My boyfriend said I have "redeemed" myself after a bad party experience. Am I wrong for feeling angry about this?

AlyssaDrysdale
My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly two years and for the most part, we are happy and get along great. However, he has this issue where he brings up a past party experience.

We went to a party together when we first started dating. I didn't know anyone there and I had just worked an eight and a half hour shift on barely any sleep and it then took me over an hour to get to his due to road closures. At the party, no one spoke to me and he kept disappearing to get drinks and talking with friends. I tried really hard to talk to people, but was left ignored and feeling lonely. Within an hour of arriving, I asked to leave. He dropped me off and went back where he stayed out until after 3am. I apologised for snapping at him after he came home and all seemed fine. However, it was clear that what happened annoyed him even though I said and did nothing; I just wanted to leave.

Fast forward to this week we had been invited to a party at the weekend. Again, I know no body there and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go. He told me: "You don't have to go. I am really happy with how you have redeemed yourself at the last few parties." I can't help but feel annoyed at the comment. I have never felt like I have had to redeem myself as I was just simply not having a good time and I even mentioned that the girls who where there showed no interest in speaking to me and I also told him that my head was sore from the shift and lack of sleep.

I understand he probably meant it as a compliment, but feel that it was unnecessary nevertheless. I know I should bring it up, but don't know what to say and I am not sure if my anger/annoyance can be justified. No matter what I say to him, he ignores it and seems to have blinkers on by what actually happened as, in his eyes, I am the one that was in the wrong.
4
3