My ex boyfriend told a huge lie that broke my heart and my trust. Why do you think he did this? What happened?

Anonymous
A Long time ago I was dating this guy who pursued me heavily like showed up to my job every day for months and brought me gifts, claimed me as his girlfriend very soon after meeting me, and even introduced me to his family on our FIRST date-yes on the first date I met his parents and his siblings. It was moving very fast but I liked him a lot. I gave this guy my virginity and he told me he loved me first. He started to tell me about how much he wanted a family one day and how me and him should move in together and how he had this dream of having a daughter as his first child. He called me when he was sad and needed a shoulder to cry on, he would stay on the phone with me all night at times talking and he told me he had a god daughter. He explained that the god daughter was NOT his real daughter and that the little girls mother died and her real father was a deadbeat so he helped to take care of her. He showed me pictures of her and even though he had baby items in his apartment he didn’t have enough stuff to sustain being a full time parent plus his family members had said multiple times that he had no kids. Also, his brother had vouched for him and said that both of them would take on the role of second parent because the child needed somebody. I believed him as I thought he literally had no reason to lie and I thought it was noble of him to be there for the child who needed parents. But one day he randomly confessed that the girl was his real daughter so I broke up with him because it just shattered my trust that he would lie in the first place. After I thought it over I tried to talk and hear his side but he wanted to stay broken up and even seemed mad at me. I did my own personal investigation and found out that the girl was DEFINITELY NOT his daughter. She was the daughter of my old classmate who had died and her real dad was in and out of jail. So it was true what he told me in the beginning. What happened?
2
0