I'm seriously thinking about trying online dating. I've been single for two years and would like to date again. Several good friends of mine have tried it and found good relationships. I don't meet very many new guys, everyone in my office is 20 years or more older than me. I'm not into the party scene, I only go out to a bar for dancing about once every other month. I am in university, almost done my degree but my program is tiny, there's only 90 of us so meeting someone through school hasn't really worked for me. My hometown is rather remote and most people, myself included, work 50 hours plus so other than the party scene, there isn't much of a chance to meet many new guys my age.
I'm 20, average looking and well, my friends believe that if I just met more guys (as in ones that I haven't known since kindergarden!) I could probably find a good guy. Is online dating worth a try?
Because what I'm doing right now is obviously not going to help me... I can tell you right now that unless some guy under the age of 30 walks right in my office or I meet him at the grocery store... I'm going to see the same 20 faces all summer.
Most Helpful Guy
My sister met her boyfriend online, my friend met his wife online, my co-worker met his wife online, and I met the first girl I have ever dated online (have been dating for one month now).
Here's the thing about online dating: almost EVERYONE who makes a profile says they are embarrassed to do online dating. It's the 21st century -who the f*** cares any more? If anything I'd say it's less incestuous than only sticking with people you know (what if everyone you know sucks?)!
Here's my advice for online dating (give it a try before you judge -duh!):
1) Make a profile and fill out as much as you can about your interest and goals; don't be skimpy or guys will only judge you based on how pretty you are in your photos. I never date girls who don't have anything in common with me or don't write anything because I figure they are only interested in sex and just post pretty pictures only.
2) Don't wait for guys to message you first. If you do that then some guys will be forever out of your reach due to the fact that they might be looking at other girls first.
3) Make your intentions clear: a lot of guys and a lot of girls (surprisingly) go to online dating sites just to find f*** buddies.
4) Keep things casual and do not play 20 questions on the first date; if you play 20 questions then you aren't looking for a date -you are just screening people who will begin to think you are stuck-up. Just treat the date like you are meeting a friend you haven't seen in a long time or something.
5) Don't lie on your profile. All that does is piss people off when they learn how you really are.
If you follow those rules you are automatically better than 50% of the girls online (meaning I wouldn't skip over your profile when looking for girls to message and I would be trying hard to land a second date with you since you clearly have things in common with me listed on your profile).1