How was/were your job interview experience/s like?

I would like to hear about how your job interview (s) went because I am curious whether it went awkwardly or flawlessly for you, guys.

· Were you the applicant? Were you the interviewer?
· How did you dress for the interview?
· Applicants: Since the interviewer asks questions, by default, did you ask the interviewer questions, in return?
· Interviewers: Can you tell if an applicant is being pretentious? Would that decrease his/her chances of being hired?

165

What Guys Said 5

• I was always the applicant, the first one i dressed casual. The second one i bettered myself and dressed properly for the occation. After having a job at an recruiting company i was going on job interviews on there behalf to get placed at a customer so i had my fair share of experience in that period.

The things i have done back then are completely different from how i would do them now, i was inexperienced and didn't understand my value (Nobody does the first time). I saw it as a monologue where they ask questions and i answer them. Now i am much more confident to make it a dialogue.

Most of the job interviews i have had where with technical people, i always did well with them as i am very technical and they could easily spot my talent for IT. The worst one was with a human resource recruiter who had no knowledge of IT, she said if we take away all the IT knowledge you have what other qualities do you have? With my best asset being stripped from me this knocked me off my feet a bit, i did answer it quite throughly but admittingly it was a bit of a generic answer. The problem was that she would not shut up and kept asking me 'What else?' even after summing up 6 assets already. She did this with the bad qualities as well...

In the end all companies wanted to hire me, especially the technical ones because at the end of the conversations they did get a good impression of my skillset.

Like i mentioned now i would do things completely different, i would make it a dialogue explaining the background i have and my vision about the field. I want there management style to align and be reasonably paid, so i will be asking them questions and starting a dialogue on the subjects i find important. Its because i got a ton of experience in my field in a short amount of time so i developed strong visions on what best practises can be safely ignored and how to develop a strong and healthy department. So for me to be most happy, i'd seek a company who aligns with these views and because we would come to a mutal agreement i am sure that would be insanely convincing.

• Lol i always crush my interviews eveybody loves me. im frjends with one of my old boss lol. and always makes fun of me say i was so nervous

• he didn't call me back

• mine have always been awesome

• unfortunately i can't time travel

What Girls Said 16

• I got hired on the spot actually. I got a lot of practice though.. I was in an organization that basically was a competition where you would get a scenario and role play as a person interviewing for a job and you'd get judged on how good you did from the judge aka your interviewer. It was called DECA not sure if you've heard of it or not.. But basically, I dressed semi-formally.. Just nice and neat. And I was polite. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. An interview is more of getting to judge your character than actually reading your résumé to see if you're hired or not. So don't stress over résumé details. Focus more on how you're going to answer your employer's questions. Don't be afraid to take a moment to think of a good response. But it also really depends on what kinda of job you're going for.. Nonetheless, you want to let them know that you're confident that you're the one for the position that you're applying for and that they want YOU. Hope this helps! :)

• I am just so use to meeting different people. I do freelance babysitting which mean I have interview in people houses that I never meet before. I also been applying to different jobs for the last 6 months. As you can tell I am insane. I been meeting strangers on a daily for jobs. What I am trying to say it's best to be comfortable with yourself when meeting people. Also be comfortable with meeting strangers. I am no longer intimidated since I know I am a somewhat valueable person.

• The few job interviews I've had I made a point to dress up in nice formal clothes and even used a little bit of makeup, which I don't normally do.

The interview with my current job I couldn't prepare for. I went in for an application and they interviewed me right away. I was just in casual clothes.

I've never interviewed someone but I have told my boss my opinions on some applicants I knew.

I don't think I've ever really asked questions during interviews.

• I've always had good experiences where I always come prepared (do research on the company/understand my posistion responsiblities, dress for the posistion, turn off my cell, come to the interview a bit earlier...) for my interview and take the interview as a means of chatting with a friend, so that I don't build such unnecessary nerves.

• As an applicant, I did well with all the interviews. I always dressed business casual-black dress pants and a nice shirt. I asked questions that seemed relevant to me about the position and company, but I didn't stress over asking "the right questions."

• When I went for a job interview at a prestigious law chambers, I dressed in a suit and had fully prepared myself, and was so bloody nervous. Unnecessarily, because the barrister was so freaking chill and friendly. Not at all what I expected lol.

• Not bad, at a gas station they take pretty much anyone so I wasn't extremely worried. Just fill out the application and wait for the call, then go to work.

• Mines actually went very well actually: ) i got hired the same day to my surprise

• I've done 3 and got mocked at by 2 interviewer because I look like a 10 year old. But the last one I hadn't got mocked at it's been 2 weeks since I've done the interview but I've been told that I should keep my phone close.

• When i went for my job interview it was more just a phone calling asking for my past experiences and then I got the job so I didn't really have an interview

• During my first job interview (for a part-time job at McDonald's) I cried because I got nervous talking about myself the whole time (since they just ask questions about you) and I said all the wrong things 😂
    Needless to say, I didn't get hired.

• 6d

Better luck with burgerking then haha.
      Sounds like this was the most stressful moment of your career.

• 6d

I have this weird thing where I subconsciously get really anxious when I have to talk about myself. Also, the interviewer was very intimidating and was pretty scary. I was 15 at the time.

I have been working in retail ever since and the rest of my interviews have gone pretty well luckily haha. I just aimed low so I would be sure to get a job, but I guess I still flopped. 😂😂
      I can laugh about it now though, so it's all good.

• My first ever was for a internship and I was so nervous and not really prepared

• I'm 19.
    I overall had around 11 interviews before I turned 18.
    Each time I was told I don't have enough experience, or the employer never got back to me.
    Now I'm a stripper.
    The end.

• It was pretty chill

• I've done dozens of interviews. My approach is too research the place beforehand, have a good professional answer for all of the standard interview questions, etc. I also dress appropriately for the place... If it is a professional interview slacks, a nice blouse, and flats. Maybe a jacket or light sweater. If its casual ill just wear jeans, nice shoes, and a nice top. Always clean, showered, and light natural makeup. No strong perfume or anything that would be outputting basically. When answering questions I will answer them casually because I want to put the interviewer at ease. I always like to imagine they are more nervouse than me and go off of that.

• never had one