What are the pros and cons of joining the military?

I am about as far from being pro-rules as you can possibly be without being a full on sociopath.
Not to say I am "Down with the government", but I am "If I don't respect you, I don't give a shit what you say - Go eat a dick."
Yet I am thinking about the military, or rather the benefits.
My old man is a vet, and my oldest brother is a Lieutenant Colonel, and they get decent benefits.
But I know the military doesn't like my type of mindset.
While I keep getting told: "Your mindset will change."
Believe me, I'm stubborn as shit, and smarter than most - I don't see that happening.
Yeah, I could be wrong (so says the vets) but I don't believe I am.
If I could withstand 12 years of brainwashing, I can withstand 4.
What are the pros and cons of the military?
How is it really?

220

What Girls Said 2

• I’m a military brat like you, so I’ve seen some of the stuff first hand... Remember that practically every soldier cries in boot camp... and all who go on deployment come back with at least mild ptsd... and many more suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts from time to time... My dad just got medically released mainly for his mental state of mind due to war... you can only survive so many near misses before you flip...

On the pro side, health, dental, and eye care are provided as well as housing... and it is a really steady income... and you get to see the world.

• Yeah I've seen the effects from my dad's PTSD. But the interest free housing loan, medical benefits, etc makes me consider it.

• Feel ya there... Wish you luck with whatever you choose!

• Yeah, boot will change that attitude, or they will pt you u ntill you die.

What Guys Said 20

• I lived for the mission. You have an SOP but when you're on mission you have to improvise, adapt and overcome. That's where your independent streak will help out. Always remember what you do has a direct impact on the lives of others. It's very sobering.

• Your mindset would better be suited towards the airforce. When you make it through basic, you follow a strict regulation of what you and can't do. If you break any regulation under the UCMJ (look it up), you stand a good chance of getting a dishonorable discharge which will equal you not being hired by any government affiliated establishment, and yes that includes mcdonalds. I only joined because I wasn't sure what I wanted in life.

• Today's military is too touchy-feely to be able to break people properly. In the good old days they would beat the sh*t out of you for having an attitude, but I don't think it would be very life changing for you today. Stay a civilian. Work at McDonald's instead. Then you can give everyone the finger and pour your bodily fluids onto people's food.

• If you're considering the military, you're definitely not "smarter than most." The military takes much more than it gives, in every way. It doesn't pay worth a shit, the benefits are slightly above average, but anyone who is truly "smarter than most" can get outstanding pay and benefits with any great company. Just the fact that you think you're special and still think the military is a reasonable choice is a clear indication that you are exactly the kind of person recruiters love enrolling. Go for it. If you survive, you'll have lots of neat stories about travelling to distant exotic lands, meeting new & exciting people and then shooting them!

• Oh no, I know the daily work is shit, I am fully aware. But since my brother is in the top tier, he has told me of the benefits. I realize there is lifelong gains to be made. It doesn't matter of the pay, or anything beyond the benefits.

Just longterm.

• You seem to think a lot of yourself and have a big mouth. Don't join, I wouldn't want to work next to you in the field.

• When I enlisted I really wasn't thinking about benefits etc. I found a tight knit family that I trusted with my life. I also left with a strong moral code and a sense of discipline that helps me everyday in whatever I do. The military isn't for everyone though, and when you're in you have to learn to go with the flow. Fighting the current will just sink you like a stone in water

• I almost enlisted when I was 18 because I wanted a life of adventure.
    But I was hearing stories of acquaintances of mine enlisting in the NAVY and being stationed in Nevada, or enlisting in the flipping Marine Corps and working a crappy warehouse job.

About a year after that I finally realized I hate the empire and I also hate the idea of being the government's dog.

If you have a mind of your own, and don't love being an obedient bitch who follows orders witout question, you are unlikely to enjoy or be successful in military or law enforcement.

• I know my buddy was stationed in Okinawa while in the Marines. Basically spent 2 or 3 years cleaning and maintaining guns.

• The only Pros of joining the armed forces is that you will be in a good physical shape and you'll know how to defend yourself. And that's it. The Cons list will take an hour to complete. Don't waste your life. Do something meaningful with it. That is unless you fancy the idea of dying for someone else's profit.

• That's my mindset already- taught by my Vietnam vet father.

• Your dad has seen the Hell you're considering joining. Listen to him and don't throw your life away. There are plenty of opportunities for a good life.

• Pros it pays for collage you gain skills you wouldn't in civilan life travel be stationd any where cons deployment time being sent to some shit hole it's worth it more than it seems

• You get discipline, resources and brothers to fight along along side you when a fight insues. Cons you lose the most powerful weapon of all, your power of choice I would not be a good candidate for the army cause I would not fallow an order I felt would be doing a bad thing in fact if it where hurting innocent people I would do everything in my power to stop the superior giving the order. Also the US militarys has taken a stance where they are now treating their own country men like the enemy.

• Have you ever had a job? Then you can do it. You've had someone tell you what to do. Join the air farce, they love people like you for their security forces. You get a beret and get an M-16. You even get to keep your cellphone during basic. At least take the ASVAB to see if you can cut it.

• Pros: It will make you a disciplined, god-fearing and patriotic person.

Cons: Application of military discipline to your wife can make you abusive

• pros: you get in shape

cons: you get shot

• Don’t, if you live in the us the only reason we’re still at war is private complies bribing the government

• As you are smarter than most, you should not become a killer, but a preserver of life. You are needed.

• U get told what to do

• Spent 3 years active duty Army and I hated it. I would join Air Force for better life style if I were you. A lot of toxic people and things are run backwards.

• I don’t see any.

• You don't sound like someone who would enjoy the military.

• Pros: only if you are a commissioned officer or qualified to be one, when it comes to benefits, etc.

You'd get much respect for your hard work and sacrifice. It is no simple walk in the park.

And if you qualify to be the best of the best such as Navy Seals, Special Forces, etc. then even more respect, since not many can or are able to get that far. But only if that is really your goal.

You also become better physically, but you'll have to work hard and push yourself and motivate yourself to become stronger and faster physically. You'll also become smarter too.

Cons: it's a hazardous job, you can get seriously hurt or die, especially if you are in Army or Marines. You can always talk with all recruiters of all branches first and then make a well informed decision. Risks from combat related deaths and injuries seems to be less for Navy or Air Force when compared to Army and Marines, but you'll have decide which branch is right for you and you'll have to stick with it till your contract is up.

You're essentially sacrificing your own personal safety and comfort so regular civilians can have them and enjoy it. Keep this in mind. It is not a walk in the park. It be 4 years of this if you are regular full timer (Active Duty) or 8 years if part timer (Reservist or National Guard).

It's very tough physically and mentally and if you don't like it you can't simply quit and resign or leave the military. You can be disqualified and get the boot if you failed to meet their standards. Unlike a regular job, where you can simply just stop showing up and quit altogether if you hated the experience and don't want to do it anymore, you can't.

In military, there's no such flexibility, you can't come and go freely if things did not work out as you originally had thought or had expected it to. If you tried to just quit and leave then there will be some serious consequences for you.

You are expected to lose lots of sleep.

You are expected to follow and obey orders and instructions at all times from those that are in charge and rank above you. Don't ask why, you just do as you're told without questioning. And by not doing so or failing to do so will also come with serious consequences and punishments.

You're expected to move quickly and get things done quickly on time and always arrive on time. It's not meant for somebody that prefers to take it slow and easy and frequently such as taking their sweet time to get things done and frequently and constantly tardy and late.